Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Müller, Wilhelm: Die Winterreise. V1.1 [German] 9 April 2013

From Wikipaedia:

Winterreise (Winter Journey) is a song cycle for voice and piano by Franz Schubert (D. 911, published as Op. 89 in 1828), a setting of 24 poems by Wilhelm Müller. It is the second of Schubert's two great song cycles on Müller's poems, the earlier being Die schöne Müllerin (D. 795, Op. 25, 1823). Both were originally written for tenor voice but are frequently transposed to suit other vocal ranges - the precedent being established by Schubert himself. These two works have posed interpretative demands on listeners and performers due to their scale and structural coherence. Although Ludwig van Beethoven's cycle An die ferne Geliebte (To the Distant Beloved) had been published earlier, in 1816, Schubert's two cycles hold the foremost place in the history of the genre.

The poems themselves are here, for those who want to sing along
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub diewinterreise.epub (997.8 KB, 1285 views)

Last edited by DomesticExtremis; 04-09-2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Improved poem formatting
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The book will be easy enough to download, so thanks for that. I love reading the poems and following the score while listening.

Question: Have you thought about creating a bilingual edition using really old English translations which you and I (and others, if you like) could update? I wouldn't mind creating a book like that for the public domain.

(Then we could do the same for Dichterliebe, Das Lied von der Erde and the Kindertotenlieder!)
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
There ist already a complete work of Heinrich Heine in the MR Library. You can find Dichterliebe in it.

Maybe you could do something like Die schöne Müllerin or Der Schwanengesang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
The book will be easy enough to download, so thanks for that. I love reading the poems and following the score while listening.

Question: Have you thought about creating a bilingual edition using really old English translations which you and I (and others, if you like) could update? I wouldn't mind creating a book like that for the public domain.

(Then we could do the same for Dichterliebe, Das Lied von der Erde and the Kindertotenlieder!)

Last edited by Spinnenmonat; 04-12-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I found some translations on Google but they were clearly marked copyright (to the translators) and were based on Schubert's kyrics rather than the originals.
Sadly my german is nowhere near good enough to do it myself.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnenmonat View Post
There ist already a complete work of Heinrich Heine in the MR Library. You can find Dichterliebe in it.

Maybe you could do something like Die schöne Müllerin or Der Schwanengesang.
Yes, but does that edition include German and English versions?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Quote:
If you talk about this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196583

No, it's only german.

Of course it's only german. If I look into "The complete Joyce" I do not expect any translation. Only if there is told somthing about bilingual, or the title is "Der komplette Joyce" (german title).

Perhaps you must buy a real book to get your translation. If there are any available.

An other idea: Look for musicsheets of the songs. There are often translations unter the original text. Not very good, because it must fit to the music. But better than nothing.

Greetings
Faltradl

Last edited by faltradl; 04-16-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: my awful englisch
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
Quote:
Well, I prefer the german version.
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
You can find some translations here.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

It sounds as thought there has been a miscommunication.

I first offered to help create a bilingual edition of only those poems which are used in famous song cycles.

Someone then said they couldn't find adequate English translations (which are what I'd offered to help create).

At which point someone else suggested I download the complete works of Heine instead (which is odd, since Winterreise is based on poems by Wilhelm Müller -- though I will admit to preferring the fragile and moribund aesthetic of Dichterliebe).

Whereupon I tactfully asked whether that version was bilingual (expecting anyone who thought about the question to realize it wasn't).
  1. The original upload on this thread is intended to be read while listening to Schubert's song cycle, Winterreise.
  2. I often find that I hate the English translations of Ruckert, Heine, Goethe, Holderlin, etc, which are included with recordings of lieder by Schubert, Schumann, Mahler, Wolf, et al.
  3. My thought was that it would be fun to create a bilingual edition of poems to read specifically while listening to recordings of lieder.

Is that not an idea in the spirit of DE's original upload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltradl View Post
If you talk about this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196583

No, it's only german.

Of course it's only german. If I look into "The complete Joyce" I do not expect any translation. Only if there is told somthing about bilingual, or the title is "Der komplette Joyce" (german title).

Perhaps you must buy a real book to get your translation. If there are any available.

An other idea: Look for musicsheets of the songs. There are often translations unter the original text. Not very good, because it must fit to the music. But better than nothing.

Greetings
Faltradl

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-18-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Would this one help? The translator seems to be open to letting others use his work, so you could ask him.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
DomesticExtremis
Addict

Quote:
It sounds as thought there has been a miscommunication.

I first offered to help create a bilingual edition of only those poems which are used in famous song cycles.

Someone then said they couldn't find adequate English translations (which are what I'd offered to help create).

At which point someone else suggested I download the complete works of Heine instead (which is odd, since Winterreise is based on poems by Wilhelm Müller -- though I will admit my preference for the fragile and moribund aesthetic of Dichterliebe).

Whereupon I tactfully asked whether that version was bilingual (expecting anyone who thought about the question to realize it wasn't).
  1. The original upload on this thread is intended to be read while listening to Schubert's song cycle, Winterreise.
  2. I often find that I hate the English translations of Ruckert, Heine, Goethe, Holderlin, etc, which are included with recordings of lieder by Schubert, Schumann, Mahler, Wolf, et al.
  3. My thought was that it would be fun to create a bilingual edition of poems to read specifically while listening to recordings of lieder.

Is that not an idea in the spirit of DE's original upload?
I guess I didn't understand you either. if you feel up to doing the translation, I would be only too glad to incorporate them.