Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Should I upgrade?

Those of you who own(ed) a Kindle Fire v1 and now a Kindle Fire HD, Was the upgrade really worth it for more than space and a different Android version? Has the reading experience changed for the better?

How is holding them different? Is it nicer to hold a KFHD? What do you miss from the original KF? For someone who uses it mainly for reading it is worth it to upgrade?

I had plan on getting a PW but now I am leaning towards a new Fire but I can't decide if to get the new KFv2 or the KFHD. Space is not an issue for me to upgrade.

Thanks for any and all info.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I don't own a KF2, but I have had the opportunity to use one. It still fits in my back pocket, but does not slide down as far. Screen and speakers are all they promised. It's very zippy. Probably a little more fragile.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade. Too incremental for someone who has no complaints to invest in.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Those of you who own(ed) a Kindle Fire v1 and now a Kindle Fire HD, Was the upgrade really worth it for more than space and a different Android version? Has the reading experience changed for the better?

How is holding them different? Is it nicer to hold a KFHD? What do you miss from the original KF? For someone who uses it mainly for reading it is worth it to upgrade?

I had plan on getting a PW but now I am leaning towards a new Fire but I can't decide if to get the new KFv2 or the KFHD. Space is not an issue for me to upgrade.

Thanks for any and all info.
I bought a KF v1 on day 1 (of v1 availability), used it extensively and then traded it in for a KFHD on day 2 (of HD availability).

Although the KFv1 had a "boring" design, I actually liked it. It just felt like a solid, high quality tablet. The HD is even nicer. Amazon's "smartcase" is a very, very nice (but expensive) accessory. This combo (HD+case) is comfortable to hold for reading as well as for media playback.

I thought that the screen on the v1 was terrific. The HD is better. The sound on the v1 wasn't bad. The HD is amazing. The 8GB of the v1 was a bit cramped. The 16GB of the HD is quite acceptable.

After a while, I rooted the v1 and flashed an ICS-themed CM7 ROM. But with the HD, simply having ADW Launcher EX as an option allows the best of both worlds. Although I can root it there is currently no way (short of deregistering) to prevent a firmware upgrade from wiping out the root. But even if there was, I think that I'll keep it in the dual mode for the duration.

The downside is for those of us who use OSX and sideload media. Not being able to sync the HD directly is a real downer. The Android File Transfer tool works adequately enough for hardwired-file transfer. I will probably install the WiFi File Transfer tool that I use for my GTab 2 7.0 (same syncing issue) for wireless transfers.

Hope this helps.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I bought a KF v1 on day 1 (of v1 availability), used it extensively and then traded it in for a KFHD on day 2 (of HD availability).

Although the KFv1 had a "boring" design, I actually liked it. It just felt like a solid, high quality tablet. The HD is even nicer. Amazon's "smartcase" is a very, very nice (but expensive) accessory. This combo (HD+case) is comfortable to hold for reading as well as for media playback.

I thought that the screen on the v1 was terrific. The HD is better. The sound on the v1 wasn't bad. The HD is amazing. The 8GB of the v1 was a bit cramped. The 16GB of the HD is quite acceptable.

After a while, I rooted the v1 and flashed an ICS-themed CM7 ROM. But with the HD, simply having ADW Launcher EX as an option allows the best of both worlds. Although I can root it there is currently no way (short of deregistering) to prevent a firmware upgrade from wiping out the root. But even if there was, I think that I'll keep it in the dual mode for the duration.

The downside is for those of us who use OSX and sideload media. Not being able to sync the HD directly is a real downer. The Android File Transfer tool works adequately enough for hardwired-file transfer. I will probably install the WiFi File Transfer tool that I use for my GTab 2 7.0 (same syncing issue) for wireless transfers.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! Any changes in reading experience between the two?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I have a KF v.1 that I used for reading books with photos, maps, etc. - stuff that didn't display well on my KF3 Keyboard (which was my default ereader) or on the DXG. I also used the KF for reading magazines.

The KF HD screen is a vast improvement over the KF v.1. It is brighter, crisper, clearer, etc. - and ScreenDim is now available for it.

An odd note - one of the magazines I read regularly is the NYT Book Review. On the KF v.1 the table of contents was displayed on a black background. On the KF HD, there is a white background.

After using the KF HD, going back to the KF v.1 - the screen looks dark & "dingy" to my eye - I am definitely staying with the KF HD. Subjectively, it seems much easier on my eyes when reading for long periods of time - and my eyes are VERY sensitive to light.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Oh - what I miss most is the equalizer in the Music tab - I listen to a wide variety of formats - and used the equalizer extensively on the KF v.1. I guess they thought putting in Dolby Digital sound removed the need for an equalizer function - or else I can't find it yet.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
eLDiaNo
eLDiaNo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
That's weird because I was thinking the same thing, I was like where is the EQ because I can't find it but I know it was there in the KF1. On a side note, they reading is much better overall using magazines(double tap to read the article you select with pictures) Same fonts, sizes and screen colors, but the higher resolution allows you see the letter's more crisp than the kf1.

It also includes my new best friend which for now is only a female voice and it's text to speech, perfect when driving for me, since I sync the kindle through my wife's car bluetooth. I'm not big on rooting the KF, because I don't know if it fixes third party moby support to my ebooks but still.
eLDiaNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

regarding the higher screen resolution, I find that reading (cbz/cbr - scanned) comics, vintage magazines, and vintage catalogs much more enjoyable on the HD than on the v1. This is the first 7" tablet that I found suitable for reading these. I thought that the 10" iPad was the smallest possible form-factor for that.

In addition to the higher resolution screen, the underlying processor power makes pinch-to-zoom in those applications liquid smooth... which definitely helps in the reading experience.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Thanks. I've decided to get the 7" HD 16GB instead of the PW. I use my KFv1 every night. I spent last night picking out a case. It seems the new cases are either pop in or envelope slide in type. This is my KF case. I was hoping to find something like it with straps. I wont be getting it till November but I like to plan ahead.

Now has anyone tried on the Documents and seen if the white covers on carousel still exists on KFHD? I keep hoping they will fix this on KFv1. It seems to be a server side issue with the KFv1. If I get the good server all covers come through. If I get the others all white covers. I am constantly clearing the Kindle data app to get them all to show.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Have any of you who bought the Fire HD in 16GB sorry you didn't get the 32GB one?
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thanks. I've decided to get the 7" HD 16GB instead of the PW. I use my KFv1 every night. I spent last night picking out a case. It seems the new cases are either pop in or envelope slide in type. This is my KF case. I was hoping to find something like it with straps. I wont be getting it till November but I like to plan ahead.
Oh my. That's quite an unattractive case. But if it works for you that's the only thing that matters.

The standout features of the official cover are the magnetic auto-on when opened, perfect form-fitting speaker grills, the cover folds back on itself to form a kickstand for viewing, and all ports are accessible. But it is expensive.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Oh my. That's quite an unattractive case. But if it works for you that's the only thing that matters.

The standout features of the official cover are the magnetic auto-on when opened, perfect form-fitting speaker grills, the cover folds back on itself to form a kickstand for viewing, and all ports are accessible. But it is expensive.
It's actually looks alot like the K3 lighted case. I paid $7 for it. It's super light weight and easy to bend back for one hand holding. I love it. It's worked well in the year I've had it. I wont be paying more than $20 for a case preferably under $10. All the cases I've seen have some kind of stand built in. I really don't want that.

Right now I am looking at this case. It's the only one I've seen I kind of like. It has a hand hold too.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Have any of you who bought the Fire HD in 16GB sorry you didn't get the 32GB one?
Briefly,

I side loaded a big wad of songs, (almost 60 albums) and found I had only 3 gig left. I already have abt 900 + books on my firehd.

Then the big light bulb went off and I asked myself why I would want to have that many songs (albums) when using windows media player it recognizes the kindle and it is a simple matter of drag and drop.

I do not plan to tote a bunch of movies, except maybe a couple when traveling, and It is easy to drag and drop them when wanted.

My books are another story, with some of the amazon coding, It is hard for me to look at the files and tell what is what, so they stay.

So the available storage space of 16 gig is good for me, seeing that I could not answer my question of "Why". For me songs played a few times as also movies are enough for a "fix" and back they go into digital storage on my hd, and then I can use the available space for "New" media.

32 gig would be nice to have but for what I am doing it is totally unnecessary. But on the other hand anything less say 8gig would not be enough. So 16 gig is just right for me. I can take 10 minuets and totally change my music and movies with out carrying media that I may not use again for while.

That is my story and I am sticking to it!

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Briefly,

I side loaded a big wad of songs, (almost 60 albums) and found I had only 3 gig left. I already have abt 900 + books on my firehd.

Then the big light bulb went off and I asked myself why I would want to have that many songs (albums) when using windows media player it recognizes the kindle and it is a simple matter of drag and drop.

I do not plan to tote a bunch of movies, except maybe a couple when traveling, and It is easy to drag and drop them when wanted.

My books are another story, with some of the amazon coding, It is hard for me to look at the files and tell what is what, so they stay.

So the available storage space of 16 gig is good for me, seeing that I could not answer my question of "Why". For me songs played a few times as also movies are enough for a "fix" and back they go into digital storage on my hd, and then I can use the available space for "New" media.

32 gig would be nice to have but for what I am doing it is totally unnecessary. But on the other hand anything less say 8gig would not be enough. So 16 gig is just right for me. I can take 10 minuets and totally change my music and movies with out carrying media that I may not use again for while.

Thanks DustyD. I don't put music on my Fire but my apps are getting near the top. I could delete some I know. I usually only use the same few.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post

I only use it for reading and occasionally Netflix so it's plenty of space. I am getting a Samsung Galaxy Player for music and audiobooks.