Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
beingnickb
beingnickb began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sigil produces ePub. So when talking about iBooks, it belongs in a separate forum section totally unrelated to ePub or Sigil.
That doesn't make sense. The issue wasn't until I had put the code through Sigil.
beingnickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingnickb View Post
That doesn't make sense. The issue wasn't until I had put the code through Sigil.
Yes it does.
Sigil makes Compliant EPUB and will correct many (simple) errors.

iBooks requires non-standard variations of a 'STANDARD'

i-books is broken as it will not accept compliant EPUB with out stepping on itself.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
beingnickb
beingnickb began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yes it does.
Sigil makes Compliant EPUB and will correct many (simple) errors.

iBooks requires non-standard variations of a 'STANDARD'

i-books is broken as it will not accept compliant EPUB with out stepping on itself.
When an application (Sigil) changes something without my intervention or permission and produces an undesired result, my issue is with that application.
beingnickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #19
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, your problem is with an application that uses code that is not part of the specifications but acts like it is. Sigil just conforms it back to the standards, as it should.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingnickb View Post
When an application (Sigil) changes something without my intervention or permission and produces an undesired result, my issue is with that application.
Sigil is designed to make ePUB-standard compliant ePUBs. Were it not, you could quite simply just use an HTML editor. Sigil does some things for you automatically--like the "issue" with your whitespace, which honestly, isn't an issue with Sigil or with your ePUB--it's with Apple's iBooks app.

We make books for Apple every single day. We can almost never make an ePUB for everyone--e.g., for Nook and Kobo and Apple, because Apple's specs are non-compliant.

What you're suggesting is that Sigil NOT make compliant epubs, in which case, we're back at the beginning--just use an HTML editor, and then you'll have a program that won't do anything whatsoever that you don't want it to do. Most of the people here want compliant ePUBs, and we then open and tweak them as need to suit Apple's endless non-complaint requirements.

As merely one example, of more Apple fun-and-games, unrelated to this issue directly? Y'all remember me telling you how Apple set new requirements, that all covers had to be not less than 1400px on the short side, meaning 1866+/- on the long side? That it was mandatory starting Aug. 1st? Well, we've made several to fit that spec--and guess WHAT? They are being rejected by Transporter because (wait for it) the cover is "larger than 2million pixels." Well, no DUH. I fully expect a rasher of "rejected" ePUBs tomorrow that will either fail because the cover is a) NOT large enough or b) TOO large--all at the same time. It's the Tao of Apple.

And that's just ONE of their myriad issues. Wait for centering, or fonts (don't go through Lulu's ePUBchecker with an ePUB with embedded fonts for Apple!), or, hey, what about images that you want to float, at a certain percentage of the page size? Don't forget to wrap that utterly unneeded div around it, since for reasons that no one understands, you can't apply widths to images in iBooks. OR...the list of "stuff" you have to do to make an ePUB "work" in iBooks is bloody endless, and virtually all of it is non-compliant or extra "junk" code. I, for one, don't want my ePUB to sit there like a dodo waiting for me to approve commands to do something that it should do, simply because someone else wants it tweaked to suit Apple, or worse, adding code to suit Apple (like divs around images). It'll slow down the program, and what it "adds" is, for the most part, utterly transparent. I certainly don't need it dumbed down for Apple.

Just my $.02, FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
To be fair, "whitespace: pre-wrap" means whitespace should be preserved. And Sigil should not be adding (or removing) space inside.

The problem is "pre-wrap" is not one of the required supported values in the ePub spec, so ePub renderers are not required to recognize it, but nothing prevents them doing so. What should Sigil do in this case then? Surely, we can't expect it to support every possible CSS value ever imagined (because CSS allows renderers to recognize custom properties or values), but maybe at least the CSS2.1 ones.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote