Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Smile Is Astak making a new EZReader that uses the new eInk screen Pearl?

Wondering if Astak will make a new EZReader that uses this latest eInk screen that they called eInk Pearl, the next generation?

The text is really sharp, crisp, clear and very black from what I saw in comparason pictures of the new Kindle DX Latest Generation. I'm really hoping and praying Astak would make one, like a 6" or 5" screen. Maybe a new Pocket Pro using this eInk screen display. If Astak do make one, I'll be buying it. I love not being tied down and be able to customize my reader (ei, organization of folders, buying our ebooks to different ebookstores, and the extra features is very attractive).

I wish, I wish....

So Robertb, is there anything at work? maybe you could suggest it to your PM? I know a lot here will buy one...
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Wondering if Astak will make a new EZReader that uses this latest eInk screen that they called eInk Pearl, the next generation?

The text is really sharp, crisp, clear and very black from what I saw in comparason pictures of the new Kindle DX Latest Generation. I'm really hoping and praying Astak would make one, like a 6" or 5" screen. Maybe a new Pocket Pro using this eInk screen display. If Astak do make one, I'll be buying it. I love not being tied down and be able to customize my reader (ei, organization of folders, buying our ebooks to different ebookstores, and the extra features is very attractive).

I wish, I wish....

So Robertb, is there anything at work? maybe you could suggest it to your PM? I know a lot here will buy one...
I totally agree, a Pearl screen PocketPro will be a killer. The only thing that EZreader needs to improve is the screen contrast and Pearl seems to be an obvious answer. However, there are lot of business considerations need to be sorted out first, especially when they still have old EZreader in stock and the EZReader plus in the pipe. Given the current price war between the big players, realistically, I don't think they will go for Pearl, at least not in the near future.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
You have to pass the question over to Jinke, not Astak. Astak simply rebrands Jinke's Hanlin ereaders.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
You have to pass the question over to Jinke, not Astak. Astak simply rebrands Jinke's Hanlin ereaders.
Or you can just think about it. The Hanlin V3+ was released back in March when there was no new screen available. Of course it you are thinking about the future then Jinke will release a new device using the new screen. It is only a matter of time. I suspect the old screen will go away.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 07-15-2010 at 11:41 AM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Or you can just think about it. The Hanlin V3+ was released back in March when there was no new screen available. Of course it you are thinking about the future then Jinke will release a new device using the new screen. It is only a matter of time. I suspect the old screen will go away.

Dale
Waiting for it! And saving some money, so I can buy it right away
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
You know it's going to be expensive, at least for a while since it is a new screen and ebook readers using the old screen are just beginning to saturate the market. I'd much rather wait months after the new screen is released by several manufacturers/brands before I'd consider plopping money down on a new ebook reader.

Besides, the contrast on my PP isn't that poor. It's quite good actually, better than the contrast of the crap gray paper and black text used in most mass market paperbacks.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
You know it's going to be expensive, at least for a while since it is a new screen and ebook readers using the old screen are just beginning to saturate the market. ...
I'm still hoping the price will come down. Doesn't the new Kindle DX use the new screen, and it's price came waaaaaay down.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm still hoping the price will come down. Doesn't the new Kindle DX use the new screen, and it's price came waaaaaay down.
Eh, it's still $379 so it's out of my price range still. Plus some features I don't like. Still gonna wait for a Astak branded 8"+ e-ink book reader. (like that Jinke A6/A9...with the mini qwerty thumbboard)
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #9
diokdin
Groupie

Well, there's a new Kindle 6" with that Pearl e-Ink screen and the price is pretty attractive. Wifi only for $139 and 3G + Wifi for just $189. It's going down...

I'm still hoping and praying that Astak will make one with that new Pearl e-Ink screen. My Pocket Pro will be so OVER PERFECT if it has that Pearl e-Ink screen.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #10
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
I totally agree, a Pearl screen PocketPro will be a killer. The only thing that EZreader needs to improve is the screen contrast and Pearl seems to be an obvious answer. However, there are lot of business considerations need to be sorted out first, especially when they still have old EZreader in stock and the EZReader plus in the pipe. Given the current price war between the big players, realistically, I don't think they will go for Pearl, at least not in the near future.
I understand this...but I'll be waiting for this to happened. I hope Astak would have one, even if it takes a while.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
I understand this...but I'll be waiting for this to happened. I hope Astak would have one, even if it takes a while.

I already have two e-Ink devices, and my 6" V3 already has very good contrast, so I am planning on holding out for a device with the Mirasol® screen. I expect that will take a LOT of patience.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I already have two e-Ink devices, and my 6" V3 already has very good contrast, so I am planning on holding out for a device with the Mirasol® screen. I expect that will take a LOT of patience.
Oh yeah I saw some youtube video of the Mirasol screen before. Colored ebook reader, that will be nice to have.

Only have the Pocket Pro. I love my pocket pro and eventhough the prices of those Kindle and Nook are going down, I still hesitate to buy. Am waiting....waiting for others or other promos they'll be having esp since holidays are just around the corner. Nov-Dec are near.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It's summer here. I routinely take my PEz outside and sit under the trees and read (no birds overhead ) .Great contrast. I have taken my laptop out there and could not read the screen, even with the display set in battery sucking, Super Bright mode
I will run my PEz till it, or I, drops first.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
.Great contrast.
Good for you!

Unfortunately, probably due to poor quality control, they are not all like that. My 5" PocketPRO looks VERY pale compared along side my 6" EZReader, and that is even with using a slightly larger font on the 5". I really hope they do better with the Plus, but at this stage of the game it is going to be an uphill battle.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Good for you!

Unfortunately, probably due to poor quality control, they are not all like that. My 5" PocketPRO looks VERY pale compared along side my 6" EZReader, and that is even with using a slightly larger font on the 5". I really hope they do better with the Plus, but at this stage of the game it is going to be an uphill battle.
Someone posted a link (you?) a while back on how to replace the screen in the 6".

One of the steps was to note a hand written number on the new display and run a special program to configure the display properties to match the current fitted display. (I believe there was a resistor change also. )

Did the forget this step (or equivalent) in production of the V5?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote