Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
more like Crichton

Michael Crichton - i've read nearly all his books, and i've yet to find one i didn't enjoy. love his style - the technical research, the multiple and seemingly unrelated story lines that slowly converge, the rich characters, the constant hints and intrigue... i just can't get enough.

can anyone recommend more authors like him?

cheers
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Have you seen this site?

http://www.literature-map.com/michael+crichton.html

Not perfect... but pretty good.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Crichton has an easy-reading style that feels unique to me. I've read most of the other authors shown on that lit-map (Ayn Rand is similar to MC? Ha ha, good one!).

His research, or at least how he uses it, is not 100% accurate but he does entertain.

I might have suggested Tom Clancy but his characters are not quote as 3-dimensional to me and you have to like 'hardcore' military/political thrillers. David Baldacci writes better characters but he doesn't have that 'unrelated story line' thing going as strongly. If you can live with even less accurate research and some randomly butchered prose then maybe Dan Brown? All this is IMO, YMMY and all that!

Let us know if you find someone who fits the bill for you.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:55 AM   #4
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
thanks for the tips.

i've also enjoyed books co-authored by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child in the past. similar themes, not so similar writing, but very accessible and fun reads. maybe that helps to better define what i'm after?

just discovered Matthew Reilly and started reading Ice Station, seems like just the sort of thing i'm after. also grabbed a bunch of James Rollins, he seems to fit the bill as well...
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would add James Rollins to the mix. Amazonia is a good place to start.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert