Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Ereader for my 63 year old mother

Hello everyone. I was talking to my mother who likes to read books and mentioned that she might enjoy en ereader rather than buying books in printed format. She likes the idea, however is not very tech savy. I can help her when she needs help so I will end up being the "tech support". Who makes an easy to use, back to basics ereader? She was talking about a B&N Nook because her neice has one, and my wife has a Kindle 3. My mother can see just fine so very large 32 point font is not needed for her. I do not know enough about ereaders to help her make a wise choice as I only bought my first one...a Jetbook Lite the other day. I am thinking that the reader should:

be easy to use and navigate
be able to get books from a store so purchases are easy and in one place
have public library support

Last edited by s1mp13m4n; 01-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
Hello everyone. I was talking to my mother who likes to read books and mentioned that she might enjoy en ereader rather than buying books in printed format. She likes the idea, however is not very tech savy. I can help her when she needs help so I will end up being the "tech support". Who makes an easy to use, back to basics ereader? She was talking about a B&N Nook because her neice has one, and my wife has a Kindle 3. My mother can see just fine so very large 32 point font is not needed for her. I do not know enough about ereaders to help her make a wise choice as I only bought my first one...a Jetbook Lite the other day. I am thinking that the reader should:

be easy to use and navigate
be able to get books from a store so purchases are easy and in one place
have public library support
Hi s1mp13m4n,

I think your choice of the Jetbook Lite would be perfect for your mom. I'm
64 myself and find the Lite a very easy to use reader and you're able to read many of the formats Good luck on your final choice.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Sticking with a brands and your mother know is a good idea. The Kindle 3 is probably the most easy to use, but the Nook isn't far behind. Both lock you into their own on-line store if you want maximum ease of use.

The Kindle cannot read library ebooks. The Nook can, but you would have to setup Adobe Digital Editions on a PC and "side-load" the library ebooks - they can't be downloaded directly to the Reader. I would check on lending library availability before putting much weight on library ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Sticking with a brands and your mother know is a good idea. The Kindle 3 is probably the most easy to use, but the Nook isn't far behind. Both lock you into their own on-line store if you want maximum ease of use.

The Kindle cannot read library ebooks. The Nook can, but you would have to setup Adobe Digital Editions on a PC and "side-load" the library ebooks - they can't be downloaded directly to the Reader. I would check on lending library availability before putting much weight on library ebooks.
THE KINDLE IS NOT

LOCKED INTO AMAZON

AND LIBRARY BOOKS CAN

BE READ ON IT!!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Yikes, I'm now deaf!

You do live up to your signature:
"well behaved women rarely make history!"

Hope you are enjoying the crisp blue sky weather.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Ah, now I see for the first time why some say there is a Kindle cult... Thanks for making me aware, Kindlekitten.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Yikes, I'm now deaf!

You do live up to your signature:
"well behaved women rarely make history!"

Hope you are enjoying the crisp blue sky weather.
I'm almost always outrageous! actually I LOVE the weather! finishing a bowl of soup and headed out to the puppy park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Ah, now I see for the first time why some say there is a Kindle cult... Thanks for making me aware, Kindlekitten.
it's called correcting rumours, lies and myths
what is the critter in you avatar?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hopefully no critter at all! Its a newly found species of a flying fox from Papua. Cute, isn't it?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

yeah it is pretty cute. I was wondering if it was an oddly colored bat
Old 01-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

yes, its a bat!!!! Sorry, I wasn't able to remember the word so fast. A bat, it is.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
KK - Aside from waking us all up --- your post would be more useful if you would outline how to get library books onto a Kindle...

OP - I think a Kobo WiFi might be a reasonable choice. It's easy to use, has easy access to its store, and can read library books using ADE as wallcraft mentioned above. It has an active users' forum here, and several Kobo employees are active as well. (It's not perfect, but still pretty good.)

I think all library books currently require the use of a computer running ADE to get the books onto a reader.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

there is a thread in the Kindle forums right now covering this
Old 01-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
OK. so I doubt the OP 63 year old mother who is not tech savy is going to want to worry about stripping drm and converting files. The Nook would probably be a perfect fit for her. It can be used at the library without any extra steps. If there is someone in the family with a nook, Niece, then she can help Grandma with her device if needed.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

she has in house tech support.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
AND LIBRARY BOOKS CAN

BE READ ON IT!!!!!

BUT YOU'RE PROBABLY

BREAKING THE LAW

IF YOU DO SO!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote