Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

You can unsubscribe to Special Offers on a K4 SO

You can unsubscribe to Special Offers on a K4 SO. It will cost you $30 though.

To unsubscribe, go to your Amazon Manage Your Kindle / Manage Your Devices web page. In the Subscribe column, click Edit next to your K4 SO. Follow the instructions on the screen that displays. You will be charged $30, which is the amount you received as a discount for buying a K4 SO model.

Apparently this option is not available for K3 SO models, at least not on my Manage Your Devices web page.

So why is this important? Well, a lot of people requested this feature for their K3 SO models. I think some bought them not understanding what they were buying, while others changed their minds after receiving them. This means that Amazon listened and built in the unsubscribe feature to the K4 SO. Those who mistakenly purchase one or simply decide later they wished they hadn't, can now unsubscribe. It also means you can purchase a K4 for $30 less to try it out, then if you cannot stand the Special Offers you can unsubscribe and pay the $30 you were originally discounted. Also you can even keep the K4 subscribed long enough to save $30 in offers and that will cover your out of pocket for the $30 unsubscribe fee. That is, since you saved $30 or more in offers you really are not out of $30 when you unsubscribe! That is what I plan to do.

BTW, I saved enough on my K3 Special Offers from items I would have purchased anyway to buy my K4!

Thanks to @Blossom for pointing this out.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-05-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Good info.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I wish they would offer me $30 in free books to get special options on my K3. It seems like their are some good deals out there.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
nice, glad they added that option.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
That's not a bad deal. But when I get my kindle touch I'll leave the special offers & try them for a while. Supposed to be getting local offers too. If I can save sought money to pay foe the $99 kindle then I'm cool. If a significant amount of time goes by & the ads are irrelevant to me then I may pay that $30. We'll see. I hear the deals are pretty good sometimes though.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
I wish they would offer me $30 in free books to get special options on my K3. It seems like their are some good deals out there.
Twice I've gotten $1 book offers on selected books. Several times I've gotten $5 off on $10 purchases which can be used to buy books. Plus there have been several other book offers. I will readily admit that most of the offers do not appeal to me, but enough do that I've saved quite a bit in the past several months.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I noticed it last night when I went to edit my email address. I thought hey that's cool you don't have to exchange the Kindle SO for a non ad Kindle. They probably send a download or something to make it like a regular Kindle. I personally like the screensavers and I hardly notice the tiny banner at the bottom. I didn't expect it to be as thin as it is. It is smaller then the screenshots shown.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
What a nice surprise!!! I luv Amazon.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I think this is a great option to have. Probably will save Amazon a ton by not having to do exchanges for people who originally purchased a SO Kindle then want to return it for a non-SO one.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I wonder if they'll ever do something to allow you to add the offers to non-SO models.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Luke_Y
Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle KB
The ability has always been there in the background (for Amazon at least).

My wife's K3 went bad early on and was returned for repair/replacement. The replacement arrived and was a K3SO. Before I got around to calling Amazon about it she received an email from customer service stating that a SO was sent in error, and that it was now updated to be a regular K3. She went and checked, sure enough no more adds.
Luke_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
feelsgoodman
o hai.
feelsgoodman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I've been jealous of the SO's since I bought the K3 when it first arrived. I wish there was an option to upgrade [or downgrade? lol].

Anyway, I recently did the screensaver hack... though I wouldn't mind giving that up for special deals now and then.
feelsgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
What a great feature. Definitely a plus for those "I wish I hadn't" moments.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I think this is a great option to have. Probably will save Amazon a ton by not having to do exchanges for people who originally purchased a SO Kindle then want to return it for a non-SO one.
It will also save the customer the return shipping cost for the KSO and the shipping cost for the replacement. So it is a win win situation.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Why would I pay 30 bucks to get rid of a great deal?
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote