Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
QuickReader
QuickReader has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPhone / iPad
New free iPhone/iPad App Unlocks the eBook Walled Garden

We are pleased to announce our new free eBook Search app for iPhone and iPad.

You can download eBook Search now from iTunes.

PRESS RELEASE

http://www.ebooksearchapp.com/ebook-...-press-release

New iPhone and iPad App Unlocks the eBook Walled Garden

Inkstone Software announces free iOS eBook Search app giving readers over 2 million books free to read on their Kindle, Nook, or iBooks apps after major eBook retailers close their in-app bookstores.

Portland, Oregon September 22, 2011 -- Apple's recent lock-down of in-app bookstores has left a lot of people adrift in a sea of confusing eBook formats. Books purchased for one reader, can't be read on another, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to locate good books for your reader.

However a new free iPhone and iPad app called eBook Search from veteran developers Inkstone Software has come to the rescue, allowing users to tap into a library of over 2 million books, while also giving people the power to download a book to their choice of reader app at the touch of a button. With eBook Search, readers are no longer limited to the books available in one reader app.

“What most owners of eBook reader apps don’t realize is there are huge libraries of free books out there. From timeless classics, to up and coming indie writers, and fan fiction - there is something for everyone", says Inkstone CEO Patrick Thompson, "But these libraries weren’t easy to access on your iPhone or iPad. That’s why we developed eBook Search.”

After browsing the catalogs, the user simply selects the book, and with a couple of taps on the screen, the book is transferred to the user’s favorite eBook reader like iBooks, Kindle, Nook, or Kobo. And it’s available for him to read on any of those apps or via e-mail.

But creating eBook Search to plug the gap left by Apple is just one side of the coin, according to Thompson. “In today’s economy, many people are finding it hard to justify buying books -- especially digital books that cost almost the same as a physical book. Here at Inkstone Software, we believe with eBook Search our customers may never have to buy another book.”

With classic works alongside the latest books by cutting edge indie authors like Cory Doctorow (winner of the Locus Award for Best First Novel, Sunburst Award, and many more accolades), and popular fan fiction, Thompson may be right.

Thompson's hope is that this app will help wake up readers to the vast amounts of free, high quality classic and modern novels out there, just waiting to be devoured. “eBook Search is our way to help people find great free books whatever their reader of choice. It is our way of giving back to the community.”

eBook Search may be downloaded from the iTunes app store.

Further info and media enquiries:
Patrick Thompson
Inkstone Software, Inc.
15500 SW Jay St. #17837
Beaverton, OR 97006
1-888-858-7969
www.ebooksearchapp.com/contact

About Inkstone Software:
Based in Portland, Oregon, Inkstone Software is an independent software development company founded by Patrick Thompson. Combining a strong blend of design and development skills, Inkstone’s passion is to craft elegant, easy-to-use applications for mobile devices. Inkstone Software is also the maker of the popular QuickReader and MegaReader eBook reader apps available on the iTunes app store.

All the best,
Patrick

Patrick Thompson
CEO, Inkstone Software, Inc.
www.ebooksearchapp.com | www.megareader.com | www.quickreader.net
1-888-858-7969
QuickReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Just downloaded it to my iPod touch. Looks to be a very good app. Any plans for an Android version? My tablet is Android and my iPod is really too small to read on.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
QuickReader

Thanks, @tubemonkey. We are considering an Android port, but we don't have a timeline yet. We'll announce it on MobileRead when we have some news.

All the best,
Patrick
Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickReader View Post
Thanks, @tubemonkey. We are considering an Android port, but we don't have a timeline yet. We'll announce it on MobileRead when we have some news.

All the best,
Patrick
Thanks, I appreciate that and am looking forward to it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
We are pleased to announce our new free eBook Search app for iPhone and iPad.

You can download eBook Search now from iTunes.

PRESS RELEASE

http://www.ebooksearchapp.com/ebook-...-press-release

New iPhone and iPad App Unlocks the eBook Walled Garden

Inkstone Software announces free iOS eBook Search app giving readers over 2 million books free to read on their Kindle, Nook, or iBooks apps after major eBook retailers close their in-app bookstores.

Thanks. This is a nice app. I've played with it a bit and have loaded books into both Bluefire and iBooks. I haven't tried the Kindle yet but I'm sure it works as well as the others.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
tochill
tochill began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza
Quote:

All the best,
Patrick
Hi Patrick,
Are you still planning on allowing side loading of apps? If not can you allow an option to download all books in a catalog. Doing it one by one take very long. Stanza implemented it this way and it was very helpful. You could drill to one author and press one button to do it.

Thanks!
tochill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
It looks nice, and certainly useful, but I don't think I can live with those ads. I'd rather have the choice to pay for an ad-free app.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Calibre?

Hi Patrick,

Any plans on allowing your app to connect to Calibre's Content Server or other OPDS feed?
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
QuickReader

@tochill Yes, I'm looking at various options for bulk imports.

@Insalata There is now an in-app purchase option to turn off the ads.

@FredipusRex The app can already connect to Calibre and OPDS and Stanza feeds.

All the best
Patrick

---
Patrick Thompson
Inkstone Software
www.megareader.net | www.quickreader.net | www.ebooksearchapp.com
Old 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
Quote:
@Insalata There is now an in-app purchase option to turn off the ads.
Thank you - I've just re-installed the app & paid up .
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
@FredipusRex The app can already connect to Calibre and OPDS and Stanza feeds.
Okay, now I did not know this! And, yes, it takes my OPDS catalog (the .xml file) and makes an entry in your app.

Thanks to the OP for asking about this - and thanks to you, QuickReader, for implementing this. Very, very awesome.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Looking for a replacement for stanza. I downloaded the free app of quickreader and so far I'm liking it. Especially the calibre integration. But it doesn't let you download any books in the free version, so you can only check it out with the 2 books included plus user guide.

My question for Patrick or those of you who already use the paid version: Does it support disply styles ie. bold and italic? If yes I would purchase it.

Other things I would like to have:
Progress bar at bottom
Progress pie chart and checkmark for read books on library page just like stanza

It looks like megareader is basically the same without the speed reading option, am I right? I wouldn't mind learning to read a bit faster. Slowpoke reader here.

Last edited by frozennorth; 10-15-2011 at 07:10 PM.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
QuickReader

@Insalata

Thanks!

@frozennorth

Yes, MegaReader is the same as QuickReader, but without the guided speed reading.

I have been getting a lot of feedback from "Stanza refugees" about how I can bring MegaReader and QuickReader even closer to the experience they loved in Stanza. One of those items is improved styling. I plan to incrementally add the features, starting with the high-priority and easy-to-do items and then moving on to the more substantial ones. So stay tuned...

All the best,
Patrick

---
Patrick Thompson
Inkstone Software
www.megareader.net | www.quickreader.net | www.ebooksearchapp.com
Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
I plan to incrementally add the features, starting with the high-priority and easy-to-do items and then moving on to the more substantial ones.
A nice and easy "quick win" might be to optionally store the user's credentials for custom catalogues. (This is true for at least MegaReader and ebook searcher; didn't try QuickReader yet.)

I have a highly complex and long password for my Calibre catalogue and having to type it all the time helps memorizing it but is somewhat detrimental ;) to my enjoyment of your otherwise very, very promising MegaReader.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Thanks Patrick. I will keep an eye out for those updates.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook search, ibooks, ipad, iphone, kindle