Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
TinyTerror
TinyTerror began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Fantasy book that I'm looking for

Hey guys, I'm remembering a book that I read some years ago that was really good. The thing is that I can't remember it, but I can describe some of it:

It is partly about a woman/girl that lives in a temple out in the desert(I think)
The temple is only for women and inside the temple everything is dark and no one is allowed to break that darkness. There is a lot of story about her sneaking around and trying to find her way through the darkness. I even think she becomes the leader of the temple after a while.

If I remember correctly it is also about a boy/man that learns magic at an academy. He is up on a hilltop once and by accident summons a monster from another dimension.

Gosh I wish I could remember the title but hopefully someone can =)
TinyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
TinyTerror

Thankyou =) I guess i posted wrong right?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTerror View Post
Thankyou =) I guess i posted wrong right?
No - why should you think so -

I've had a quick look and I'm sure some others will be looking too .....

any more clues ?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
TinyTerror

I can remember that the guy character is sailing a boat one time which is so broken that he only can keep it together through magic. hmm... Will post when I remember more!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
GeoffC

Quote:
I can remember that the guy character is sailing a boat one time which is so broken that he only can keep it together through magic. hmm... Will post when I remember more!
Ursula le Quin: Earthsea novels ?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
GeoffC

seems to fit .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea
Old 05-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
TinyTerror

YES thats the one! Thank you Sooooo much!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
GeoffC

no problem - it was the boat clue that did it ....
Old 05-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
TinyTerror

Haha yeah I hope it's still as good as I remembered it! Have you read the book?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Darnit... I was tooo slowwwwwww.
He he he

I knew the book right off the bat though.

Welcome onboard TinyTerror
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
GeoffC

Quote:
Haha yeah I hope it's still as good as I remembered it! Have you read the book?
Yep - one I have from my misbegotten youth - somewhere ....
Old 05-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Specifically, the second book, The Tombs of Atuan, is the one you're thinking of.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote