Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #31
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I've read Niven and Pournelle -- _Footfall_, _Inferno_, and _All the Myriad Ways_ (which is just Niven, but _Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex_ is still a hoot 25 me-years later).
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #32
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzon View Post
Try Debra Doyle and James MacDonald's "Mageworlds" series. Classic space opera.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...e_of_the_Stars

Book One of the Mageworlds--the breakneck SF epic of the most brawling family in the human galaxy. The centuries-long conflict between the human Republic and the mysterious Mageworlds has been over for 30 years. But now an assassination on the Senate floor threatens to shatter the fragile peace.
Looks like it is OOP, like a lot of the ones that really sound good. I didn't envision running down these things on Amazon Marketplace now I have my nook, but...necessity exists
Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #33
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Have you read Piers Anthony's Cluster novels?
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #34
kc24zz
Enthusiast
kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 505, galaxy tab
I have to second David Weber's "In Fury Born". I think it's even better than his Harrington books.

Great Thread Joykins!
kc24zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #35
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Someone upthread listed Catherine Asaro. I want to second her, specifically the Skolian Empire books. Baen has the first book in the free library.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #36
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series is definitely worth a look too. He has a background working for the European Space Agency and his books feature high technology that nonetheless has a ring of greater plausibility about it (no 'magic' warp drives). The human societies in his book are often as strange as the alien races from other authors' universes and Reynolds' own universe is often a very dark place indeed.

Also, the paper versions have lovely shiny covers with cool pictures of spaceships on them
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #37
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I am starting to sound like a fan boy but will go right ahead and mention The Black Library http://www.blacklibrary.com/ again. Fairly recently they started selling e books. No geographic restrictions and no drm. There selection is growing rapidly and has a lot of military space opera type stuff.

Mechanicum by Graham McNeill has a female lead character.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #38
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Anything from the Black Library by Dan Abnett is worth a look. His Warhammer 40,000 stuff is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of quality.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #39
dmspen
Enthusiast
dmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
If you can find them, and are looking for some original space opera, check out the Lensman series from Doc E.E. Smith. True 40s space opera stuff. Fairly light reading...
dmspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #40
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Have you all read Ray Gun Revival?

It's a Space Opera Magazine with serial content and some single issue short stories. Or I should say was. It ran for 56 issues from June of 06 to December of 09 and once I had caught up on back issues i couldnt wait to get each new one. I really enjoyed most of the serials presented in each issue .

There was a change in ownership of their hosting/publishing and shut it down last year but as you can see they are getting ready to re-launch in February.

All of the back issues can be found in The Vault

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-26-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #41
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
My own search for a book in another thread lead me to author Michael Reaves who has a Space Opera book with co-author Steve Perry , The Omega Cage

I havent read it(yet) but I have read other things by Reaves and he does really good characters.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #42
voodoo_pepperweb
voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.

Device: Kindle K3, Android phone
Check out Dust by Elizabeth Bear. It's set on a generation starship and involves a conflict between different factions and the ship AI.
The two main characters are women and are very interesting. I don't want to
say to much about it, because you find out a lot as the story goes along.
It's the start of a trilogy, but it works well as a standalone book. The next books are Chill (out already) and Grail (out next month).
voodoo_pepperweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #43
Joykins
Wizard

Just got Dust and Chill from the library. thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #44
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I also recommend checking out Mike Resnick's Santiago series, if you can find ebook versions.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #45
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Second the Santiago recommendation. The "Virgin Queen" is a pretty strong female character as I recall, as is the assassin whose moniker I forget, and the books are a light, fun read overall.

Resnick's books used to be available in e-format DRM-free via Fictionwise, but lately they've gotten picked up by some company called ZappTek which DRMs them (and charges more, to boot; I still kick myself for not buying from FW when I had the chance and they had the discount coupon).

He also has some non-Santiago books available at much better terms via Baen's Webscriptions.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote