Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
MacNala
MacNala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to identify which Kindle I have got?

I bought a Kindle from Amazon November 2011. It is working fine but I see a lot of threads which talk about specific models KT4 etc
How do I identify which one I have got.
It says it is Model _D01100.
I also have no idea about the software level although it has been updated automatically once.

Last edited by MacNala; 07-27-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo
MacNala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Look at your serial number. Then there's a chart here that tells which Kindle goes with which serial numbers. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

ETA: Since you got it in 2011, I suspect it's a Kindle Keyboard, sometimes called a K3.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Model D01100 is the basic Kindle, also called K4 NT (non-touch). It should look similar to this one, but may be silver: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HCCNJU.

Here's information on the latest software update for that model, including instructions for determining which version you currently have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200774090.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Hello MacNala...

Names like K3 or KK (Kindle Keyboard), K4T (Kindle 4 Touch), K4NT (Kindle 4 Non-Touch), KPW (Kindle PaperWhite) are not official Amazon names.

Rather they are convenient shorthand tags used by the members of this forum.

If you visit other forums, you will find similar, but somewhat different tags in use.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
mostly agreed, but please:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
[...] K4T (Kindle 4 Touch), K4NT (Kindle 4 Non-Touch) [...]
There is no Kindle 4 Touch. While K4 NT is merely a pleonasm, as all K4s are non-touch, "K4 Touch" is just plain wrong. The Kindle Touch is a K5, because it runs firmware 5.x. The K4 is a K4 because it runs FW 4.x.

Yes, I know where the original term came from ("4th generation Kindle" where both the K4 and K5 were released on the same day), but just because it was once wrongly used that way doesn't mean that we should continue to do so. It only adds to the confusion.

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
MacNala
MacNala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Many thanks to all.
@PG4003
No it is not a keyboard model.
@DreamWriter
You have it well answered and the software level I have from your helpful link is 4.1.1(1813030025)
@BeeTee-Ess
I understand the need for shortened labels but if they are not official supported by Amazon surely that just leads to confusion.
@ixtab
Thanks for the information.
MacNala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The reason for the use of shortened names is because of the way Amazon named their early Kindle models. They were generally just 'Kindle' and to differentiate between the different releases, people started doing things like using which generation of Kindle it was and subsequently the firmware to give them a model number. It's far from perfect, and there is some confusion as ixtab has explained.

The Kindle 4 (basic Kindle, non-touch screen), Kindle 5 (Kindle Touch) is a bit confusing because there were two different models released at the same time and then there are actually two versions of the basic non-touch Kindle. The first was silver (K4S) and the second black one (K4B) was released at the same time as the Kindle Paperwhite. It's important to differentiate between them as the quality of the screen is better on the newer K4B than it is on the K4S, although they both run the same firmware.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 07-28-2013 at 05:25 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
mostly agreed, but please:

There is no Kindle 4 Touch. While K4 NT is merely a pleonasm, as all K4s are non-touch, "K4 Touch" is just plain wrong. The Kindle Touch is a K5, because it runs firmware 5.x. The K4 is a K4 because it runs FW 4.x.

Yes, I know where the original term came from ("4th generation Kindle" where both the K4 and K5 were released on the same day), but just because it was once wrongly used that way doesn't mean that we should continue to do so. It only adds to the confusion.

oops!
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote