Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #601
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titano View Post
Hello, Your going to have to forgive me but I've been away for awhile and need some clarification. So KUAL replaced YifanLu's launcher after some update broke it. KUAL reads the same resource files as YifanLu's launcher giving it backwards compatibility. So before updating from a prevous version of requires the uninstall of YifanLu's launcher before updating. Correct?
can do.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #602
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Can't get store button launch the KUAL (again)

I installed the KUAL and replaced the store button w/o any problem. However yesterday I restore the original function of the icon and reset the Kindle to the factory default and re-install the KUAL and tried to replace the shopping icon via the related item in the KUAL again. However this time it didn't worked. it just returns to the home screen.

How can I replace it again?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #603
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just so I am clear..

So do you want it to open KUAL... or the store?

EDIT: Kual right?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #604
fijimunkii
fijimunkii began at the beginning.

Device: k3w
This has been an epic journey. I found this forum while trying to set the date/time on my k3w without having to connect it to the internet. I've tried basic linux commands to do this, but they do not work. It seems the only way is with an NTP server. Then I found out about the BBB, KUAL and the KUAL datetime button. Awesome tools and I look forward to using them!

My problem is I can't load up KUAL without having my time already set. I'm getting "The permissions to open the requested title have an invalid date" error.

I have no problem setting the NTP servers myself and plan on applying the BBB manually, but the BBB seems complicated (to me) if there is an easier way to go about this please let me know. I am learning a LOT about linux. This project of simply setting the time has evolved into a serious tutorial.

Thank you knc1 and twobob for your amazing work!
fijimunkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #605
twobob

ssh in.

set the time by hand?

let me dig that up for you.

[root@kindle root]# hwclock
Quote:
BusyBox v1.17.1 (2013-02-22 01:14:45 PST) multi-call binary.

Usage: hwclock [-r] [-s] [-w] [-l] [-u] [-f FILE]

Query and set hardware clock (RTC)

Options:
-r Show hardware clock time
-s Set system time from hardware clock
-w Set hardware clock to system time
-u Hardware clock is in UTC
-l Hardware clock is in local time
-f FILE Use specified device (e.g. /dev/rtc2)

Last edited by twobob; 03-23-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #606
twobob

and from the wiki... https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._the_time_zone

24-hour clock
To change top bar clock format from 12- to 24-hour format change /var/local/system/locale from
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
to
LANG=en_GB.utf8
LC_ALL=en_GB.utf8
and restart the device.

You can achieve the same effect on firmware 5.1 by switching the language from English US to English GB in the settings.

Setting the time zone

By default, the time that the Kindle displays is UTC. If you are in a different timezone:
[root@kindle root]# mntroot rw

# copy the required files to the Kindle! Most recent Linux distributions contain these files.
[root@kindle root]# find /usr/share/zoneinfo/
Quote:
/usr/share/zoneinfo/
/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab
/usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin
[root@kindle root]# ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin /etc/localtime
You will first need to copy the respective zone directory/file (shown in bold above) from another Linux system, as /usr/share/zoneinfo/ is initially (almost) empty on the Kindle!

Hope that helps
Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #607
fijimunkii

Wow that was quick! Thanks for the help. I'm going to try this right now.

edit - can't figure out how to actually set a new time. I can set the hwclock to the sysclock, and vice versa, but actually entering in a new time/date manually is eluding me.

edit2 - got it! i had to use date +%Y%m%d -s "20130323" 3 times before it fully worked. each time it would progress one year. followed that with hwclock -h and i'm golden. time for dinner and then KUAL awesomeness

Last edited by fijimunkii; 03-23-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: hwclock woes
Old 03-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #608
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Just so I am clear..

So do you want it to open KUAL... or the store?

EDIT: Kual right?
yes I want it to open KUAL.

I wanted to make it to defaults settings to avoiding a possible(?) error while resetting kindle to factory defaults. But now I want to open KUAL with it in a quick way.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #609
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijimunkii View Post

edit - can't figure out how to actually set a new time. I can set the hwclock to the sysclock, and vice versa, but actually entering in a new time/date manually is eluding me.

edit2 - got it! i had to use date +%Y%m%d -s "20130323" 3 times before it fully worked. each time it would progress one year. followed that with hwclock -h and i'm golden. time for dinner and then KUAL awesomeness

Ah good!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #610
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
yes I want it to open KUAL.

I wanted to make it to defaults settings to avoiding a possible(?) error while resetting kindle to factory defaults. But now I want to open KUAL with it in a quick way.

right. I will figure out what went wrong then. This is next on my list.

grumble grumble fricking changin rootfs files, where is that stepk when you need him, why I oughta.... HAHAHA
Old 03-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #611
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fijimunkii View Post

There is a KUAL button for that - to set both Linux and Hardware clock from the public NTP network.

Default settings should work anywhere in the world, but user can change the time servers and/or time networks used.

Hint: I wrote it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #612
fijimunkii

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is a KUAL button for that - to set both Linux and Hardware clock from the public NTP network.

Default settings should work anywhere in the world, but user can change the time servers and/or time networks used.

Hint: I wrote it.
I was super excited to use it, but couldn't get KUAL to work without first updating the hwclock... lol. All gravy now. By the way, thanks so much for BBB!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #613
twobob

Sigh I managed to kill my TC sorry Thomass

I got about 1 hour behind my schedule here : (

EDIT: TC FIXED I sent you the info about the replacements done by the script also...

Last edited by twobob; 03-24-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #614
twobob

Kual 0.5 IN PROGRESS First glance...

Save KUAL from SUICIDE TEST.

Result: Success

MASSIVE KUDOS for stepk for his work on the upcoming features.

There really is a HUGE amount of work gone into the next release.
This is just one part of it I thought I would share while testing.

KUAL STUFF!! YAY!

(also pictured the 0.4 sorting options)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_249.png
Views:	474
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	103387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_246.png
Views:	231
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	103388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_254.png
Views:	234
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	103389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_250.png
Views:	244
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	103390  
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #615
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titano View Post
KUAL reads the same resource files as YifanLu's launcher giving it backwards compatibility. Correct?
Not entirely. Currently KUAL doesn't support nested menus.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified