Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Jaede
Enthusiast
Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Red face The Ultimate Sin

I am out to confess a most terrible sin. I have bounced from E-Reader to E-Reader in a quest to find true bookworm happiness. I had finally settled on the Nook Simple Touch. It was, for the most part, the perfect E-Reader. Still wanted an "Add to Shelf" feature, but I was willing to let that go in favor of all that the Reader had going for it.

But then I saw the Sony PRS-T1. A shiny, flashy little E-Reader. Better shelf-management, better page turn buttons, a feature to make the book you're reading the screensaver, and a MP3 player that shuffles the music. It had it all, and I told the Simple Touch that it was time to see other people. I gave the Simple Touch to my mother.

I got the Sony, and discovered bad, terrible things about it. It sorted by author completely differently, and since my Calibre Library had been named to accomodate the Nook system this was brutal. I spent two days renaming, and still it didn't quite fix the problem. Then there was it's slow processing power compared to the update that sped up the Nook, and made the fonts crisper. I mean, for three thousand books, the Nook will near-instantly display the covers when browsing through the Library, but the Sony just couldn't digest the content I was feeding it.

Freezing issues, shutdowns, and resets. It fought what I wanted from it tooth and nail. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore, and sold it off as a Christmas gift to someone else.

I couldn't take back the one I gave to my mom so I had to use the money to buy another Nook Simple Touch. So the question stands as this: Will the Nook ever forgive me, or will it explode one day while I'm reading the E-Book version of "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"
Jaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
The Kindle wants you to think that your Nook is just like people: she'll get her feelings hurt and want no further relationship with you. But really, the Kindle just wants you to be with her instead. Go back to the Nook, if you love her, and I think you'll find her all forgiveness and redemption.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Jaede
Enthusiast
Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But the Kindle is obsessed with dead authors and advertisements. What would the Kindle know about the relationship between the E-Reader and the person reading from it?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaede View Post
But the Kindle is obsessed with dead authors and advertisements. What would the Kindle know about the relationship between the E-Reader and the person reading from it?
What the Kindle knows about relationships doesn't matter, since all relationships are as different as the people in them. Go back to your Nook, and ask forgiveness for being so stupid and shortsighted and for not truly appreciating how special she is. Then promise her that you now know better, and that you've now realized how much you love and need her, and tell her you love her more than ever.

She might not forgive you right away, but she might at least be willing to listen.

ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
ho hum, how can you tell if an ereader is a she or a he? Mine are all manly men (even, shock horror, the pink one) definitely not girls
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
ho hum, how can you tell if an ereader is a she or a he? Mine are all manly men (even, shock horror, the pink one) definitely not girls
The same way you can tell if computers are male or female
Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
A plugboard in Calibre works wonders.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
good one may I spoil your nice karma by adding to it?
in my language though both computer and ereader are male gender. I agree with the first part of the article <insert little devil here>
Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Being a bit iPhobic, I wouldn't know firsthand; but I have it on competent authority that Siri is defiantly a girl!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The pop-up stylus of the PRS-650 is your clue.

To the OP: Since you purchased a new Nook you better not let it see your mom's. Breaking up to date its sibling is not cool.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I'm in a happily polyamorous relationship with a PRS-950 and a PRS-350.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
Jaede
Enthusiast

Cool

So what happens if you've got an E-Reader, and an I-Pad. How do you introduce them? Should they share the library, or do you divide it amongst them? Will my Nook find out I get some of my books from Amazon? Will she understand?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
good one may I spoil your nice karma by adding to it?
Please. I need all the good karma I can get!

In my native tongue, the word for computer is neutered. Er. I mean "neutral". Neutral. Really.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #15
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Neutral? Poor thing so, how... err, never mind.