Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
AEA64
AEA64 began at the beginning.

Device: Considering getting a Pocket eDGe or Kindle 4
Post Question about Kindle Browser

Hi. I'm considering getting a Kindle 4 and one of the things I expect from it is reading stuff on the internet using Wi-Fi. But Kindle 4 (even K3) isn't available in any stores near me and I can't try the device before I buy

I have a question about the browser. As I've seen in review vids, if you type in a web address, the browsers shows the whole page with button-controlled rectangle area for zooming in, you push the middle button and you see the zoomed in area that was in the rectangle. This may sound stupid, but can you move the zoomed area with direction buttons or page turners? Or you have to go to the full page view again and zoom the new area with the rectangle? I'm asking this because some of the web pages I read have multiple text areas or columns. And this question also applies to PDFs and images.

And does anybody know, will the upcoming Kindle Touch be able to move zoomed area in the browsers/PDFs/images with a move of a finger on the screen, just like in tablets?

Thanks
AEA64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEA64 View Post
Hi. I'm considering getting a Kindle 4 and one of the things I expect from it is reading stuff on the internet using Wi-Fi. But Kindle 4 (even K3) isn't available in any stores near me and I can't try the device before I buy

I have a question about the browser. As I've seen in review vids, if you type in a web address, the browsers shows the whole page with button-controlled rectangle area for zooming in, you push the middle button and you see the zoomed in area that was in the rectangle. This may sound stupid, but can you move the zoomed area with direction buttons or page turners? Or you have to go to the full page view again and zoom the new area with the rectangle? I'm asking this because some of the web pages I read have multiple text areas or columns. And this question also applies to PDFs and images.

And does anybody know, will the upcoming Kindle Touch be able to move zoomed area in the browsers/PDFs/images with a move of a finger on the screen, just like in tablets?

Thanks
On the browser you can pan around after you're zoomed in. It doesn't matter if the area is covered in the original zoom box. Once you are zoomed in you use the 5-way to navigate the cursor arrow around the page. I don't know about PDFs someone else will know more. There is also Article mode which I think it great for multiple text columns. The K3 and the K4 browser are exactly the same You tube has several videos you can watch to get a better idea.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Everything blossom has said is true, however I would like to add that the main job of a kindle is electronic book reading not web browsing. That said the kindle can do web surfing via wifi however thats not its main job. I would recommend a laptop or a tablet to do this job such as: Samsung's Galaxy Tablet and the forthcoming Amazon Kindle Fire tablet. Most tablets can do electronic book reading as well however they tend to be a bit ackward for that job and most people preferr a dedicated electronic book reader for reading books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Personally, I find the web browsing so awful that I have only used it once, maybe twice. If I want to browse the web, I'll use my iPhone.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use it with the Calibre Content Server as destination.
Navigation contrast of selected item is the only issue.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
I use www.sendtoreader.com for web content i want to read.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I don't do too much browsing on the Kindle if I can help it. Maybe having a few Wiki links or something handy, since the browser handles those ok. Past that, though... The browser is not the main selling point of the Kindle.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think either K3 or KTouch will be better than K4 for web browsing, if you need to do much typing. However, K4 is faster, so that may be helpful for browsing. I'm hopeful that KTouch will be significantly better since you should be able to navigate links, pan/zoom more easily. If it weren't significantly better, they would not have crippled 3G functionality (restricts web browsing to wikipedia).

But as others note, web browsing is still rather painful on a Kindle. Still, I would not be without it for wikipedia access alone, and you can even use it to borrow library books without needing a computer, or to visit the Manage Your Kindle page on amazon.com.

K4 and K3 are mostly the same for PDF, the only difference is that K4 has a faster CPU. But then, it has less storage, so it's more limited in how many you can load on.

I'm hopeful that on KTouch PDF will be somewhat better for PDF, since it will be easier to pan around a page, and again KTouch has a faster CPU. But I doubt they've enhanced PDF functionality beyond that, for example to support PDF reflow or PDF bookmarks/TOC.

Images are supported in a few ways: you can convert them to .azw (using Amazon conversion service), package them into .pdf (using 3rd party tools), or use the undocumented picture viewer (still there in K4, unknown status for KTouch). On Kindle, .azw images can only be zoomed to fit the viewing area (a little less than 800x600), while PDF and the picture viewer allow pan/zoom. Again, this is not what Kindle was designed to do.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Try http://klip.me if you are interested in those RIL services. Klip.me support google reader with scheduled delivery, ("Send to Kindle") to save&send directly right away or you can use their "Klip for reading" option to package contents and send later.
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
If you use good "mobile" sites, and if you are patient (patient, similar to when you read), then the browser is not so bad. Use it to check email, sports scores, some social networks, etc. It's better than nothing.

Klip.me has opened up a whole new usefulness to the Kindle for me.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEA64 View Post
As I've seen in review vids, if you type in a web address, the browsers shows the whole page with button-controlled rectangle area for zooming in, you push the middle button and you see the zoomed in area that was in the rectangle.
The Kindle browser is misunderstood. It is better than a PC for reading a web page that consists primarily of long blocks of text. It is much worse for interactive and graphics-rich web sites, such as those seeking to sell you stuff.

Seeing that rectangle area for zooming is usually a sign that a web page is much better suited for viewing on a PC rather than for e-reading.

For ideas on how to find Kindle-friendly web pages, look through the "Links Every Kindle Owner Should Have" thread on this board.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
pearlrose86
pearlrose86 can extract oil from cheesepearlrose86 can extract oil from cheesepearlrose86 can extract oil from cheesepearlrose86 can extract oil from cheesepearlrose86 can extract oil from cheesepearlrose86 can extract oil from cheesepearlrose86 can extract oil from cheesepearlrose86 can extract oil from cheesepearlrose86 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
The browser has saved me a few times when traveling. I don't have a smart phone, but I can at least use the browser to pull up Google Maps, check Twitter, and check my e-mail. It's slow and kind of a pain, but it's better than nothing. I use the browser a couple times a week, I'd guess.
pearlrose86 is offline   Reply With Quote