Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #121
ladybugh
Enthusiast
ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Sage and Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugh View Post
My KT is hit and miss. It connects on the odd occasion but mostly it just says 'Error' - Unable to connect.
Yeah! With the last update, my KT is connecting everytime. :-)
ladybugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #122
anaweir
anaweir began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I have a Kobo Touch SW version 1.9.11 r32877
Modem is a Netcomm Model NB6Plus4W

The rest of the network is configured for WEP. The WEP also requires a Key setting. Mine is set to 4, then I add the password to access the wireless network

Every other laptop at home can connect to the network except the Kobo, is it because it doesn't allow for a "key" as well as the normal password?

The modem can't be set to WAP as the other laptops only work on WEP encryption.

I can see the network SSID, I just can't connect.

any help and assistance appreciated.
anaweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #123
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
I had to do a factory reset on my Kobo Touch due to some other issues and had problems with setting up the wifi connection. My wifi is hidden so I manually added it but it would connect and say "successful" but then just hang on that screen and wouldn't connect to the internet.

A phone call to the Kobo help line got me to do a pin reset on the back of the KT. Once the KT restarted it connected automatically to my network.

Just wanted to share in case it will help someone else.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #124
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
A phone call to the Kobo help line got me to do a pin reset on the back of the KT. Once the KT restarted it connected automatically to my network.
Thanks for sharing it. I had the same issue today.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #125
satyr
satyr began at the beginning.

My router is set to accept listed MAC addresses on a Hidden SSID with WPA 64 character string.

At first the Kobo Touch (KT) didn't connect. So I disabled Access Security on the router. Then the KT connected. I didn't have to unhide my hidden network, which was good.

But I did re-enable MAC address Access Control and of course then the KT lost connection.

Doing a scan of available wifi networks finds the hidden network, but asks for the password, and doesn't seem to remember either network name, nor previously keyed password.

So annoying to type all that again. As it is a randomly generated 64 (or 63) character key.

Would be nice if it remembered the previously entered or connected network details.

Would also be nice if one could simply copy paste the key from a txt file on the sdhc, or via the USB, or even using the Kobo Desktop software.

The Kobo desktop program is rather limited in what one could do using the PC to setup and configure the Kobo Touch. Other than flash the firmware of course.
satyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #126
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why bother hiding the SSID? It adds NOTHING to security at all!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #127
satyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why bother hiding the SSID? It adds NOTHING to security at all!
The Kobo Touch seems to lose connection when I enable Access Control by MAC address. The fact that my SSID is hidden, or not, isn't the problem for my Kobo Touch.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #128
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I never said it was; all I was doing is questioning the false added layer of security that a hidden SSID provides.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #129
satyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I never said it was; all I was doing is questioning the false added layer of security that a hidden SSID provides.
Thanks! Your opinion on wifi security (and belief that it applies to all), was duly noted the first time. But as I stated twice before it's irrelevant to my connection issues with my KT. I'm not really interested in engaging you about the merits of various wifi security measures here on this thread as it would be off-topic.

I am however interested in seeking answers to why the KT loses wifi connection when Access Control is enabled on the wifi router, work arounds to that issue, and also suggesting that the next firmware update could incorporate remembering previous connections, easier password entry processes, etc.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #130
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
That's interesting. I also use a MAC whitelist, and I haven't been able to get my Touch working with my router yet, either.

In my case, the Touch claims it has connected but then just sits there indefinitely busy until I cancel it.

It's entirely possible that I don't have my router set up correctly, though. I didn't have DHCP set up until yesterday, and all my other wifi devices use manual settings. (I think I tested the DHCP successfully with my 3DS, but it might have cheated and used its existing settings.)

I'll give it a go without the Access Control list now.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #131
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

FYI; I just tried and had ZERO issues with Filtered MAC addresses and a broadcast SSID.

As soon as the SSID was set to hidden the existing connection that my Touch was configured to use no longer worked.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #132
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I don't seem to be able to uncheck the box for the Access Control, so I can't test that right now. I guess it must be a Safari thing.

Edit: Okay, that's a red herring. Used a different PC to disable the Access Control and it made no difference. I think my problem must be DNS or something. The Kobo seems to connect to the router and get no further. Oh well.

Last edited by DrNefario; 01-04-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #133
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
In my case, the Touch claims it has connected but then just sits there indefinitely busy until I cancel it.
I assume that by claiming it has connected you mean it says "Success" then does nothing more? If that's the case try hitting the home button and it may just be syncing and is actually working.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #134
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

@DrNefario: Can you check the router for either logs, or a list of connected devices. With mine (admittedly running third party firmware) I can see from the log each and every time my Kobo requests an IP address, and also what address it has been assigned.

With the knowledge of the IP address you can then try a ping of it by IP address from your PC.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #135
DrNefario
Wizard

@robko: I left it on the Success screen for about half an hour when I originally read this thread, and nothing happened. I also get an indefinite spinner when I try to visit the shop, but it does fill in the wifi bars, which suggests that it is connected to the router but not to the internet.

@PeterT: I can see the device in the DHCP client list. I didn't think to check the logs.

I brought the Kobo in to work today, and tried it on the wifi here, and everything was fine. I'm guessing I must have something set up wrong at home. Where would it get the subnet mask, default gateway and all that stuff from? On the DHCP screen, the only thing I could set up was the DNS. (It's also possible that I just got the DNS servers wrong, I guess. I'd better check that when I get home.)

Edit: (Many hours later) There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my network setup. I've just tried using this netbook over wifi using DHCP and it is fine. It looks like the Kobo just doesn't like my router, and since I don't actually get any errors or anything, I don't see what I can do about it. Makes me glad I have a Kindle, really.

Last edited by DrNefario; 01-05-2012 at 03:45 PM.