Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #61
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'd be interested to hear how you get on going from what was a very stable e-reader to Kobo (hopefully they won't have the same firmware issues they did with the Touch), but it'd still be good to hear what you think after some extended use of the Glo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
It's funny, I've had the KK, T1, Nook STR and Kobo Glo, and the one that crashed the most was the T1. The Nook and, in the short time I've had it, the Glo, have never crashed. So I'd argue about the stability of the Sony T* line.
I don't know about the T1 or T2 but my 650 has never crashed on me, and I'm hoping the same happens with the Glo. I will post some more when it arrives and I've had a chance to use it. I purposefully ordered online instead of buying in store so I would have the 7 day cooling off period in which to try it to see if performs as well as I expect. Actually I'm quite relieved that I won't have to go through the hassle of converting my 200+ ePubs to Mobi and putting them into collections manually and I've updated Calibre in preparation, so it has the new additions to work with the Glo.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #62
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I''ve just seen the Kobo glo and its gorgeous. Really. Considering it now but I need to find out more.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #63
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnwOpuZ_Q4

Kobo glo vs paperwhite (goodreader)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #64
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post

Again a weak review
they compare the glo at maximum brightness with kpw at maximum. That is not how you do it. Also they forgot to mention that KPW has all the time the light on and they did not compared them at light off/minimum level.
And nothing about colour blotches, hues,shadows at the bottom? Nothing?
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #65
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashan View Post
Again a weak review
they compare the glo at maximum brightness with kpw at maximum. That is not how you do it. Also they forgot to mention that KPW has all the time the light on and they did not compared them at light off/minimum level.
And nothing about colour blotches, hues,shadows at the bottom Nothing?
I thought it was quite a good review, I didn't watch the whole thing but to be fair, right at the start they showed the Glo at 30%, turned it up full to show how much brighter it was, and then turned it down to 'match' the Kindle light. They should have left it at the similar levels instead of turning it back up to full brightness, but even when the lights were at similar levels, it was surprising to see the Paperwhite screen light did look better (more white) than the Glo did.

Later with the studio lights on they seem to have the light off/at lowest setting, and at 8:30 they say they think the Kobo is a little more versatile, as although the screen resolutions are pretty similar it's got expendable memory and can turn the light completely off.

And why would they make any mention of the colour blotches when you couldn't see any on their screen?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #66
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Quote:
I thought it was quite a good review, I didn't watch the whole thing but to be fair, right at the start they showed the Glo at 30%, turned it up full to show how much brighter it was, and then turned it down to 'match' the Kindle light. They should have left it at the similar levels instead of turning it back up to full brightness, but even when the lights were at similar levels, it was surprising to see the Paperwhite screen light did look better (more white) than the Glo did.

Later with the studio lights on they seem to have the light off/at lowest setting, and at 8:30 they say they think the Kobo is a little more versatile, as although the screen resolutions are pretty similar it's got expendable memory and can turn the light completely off.

And why would they make any mention of the colour blotches when you couldn't see any on their screen?
Yes the start was good, but the follow up was lame, let's just boost the light at max and do a comparison (of course Kobo will look too bright and blueish because it's brighter and the the room is pitch black) that is not a fair review. Later they don't show a close up of the screen with low light/off light. They also say that you can change the back cover of the Glo that is a good review.
On the studio lights a lot of things can't be seen, but as a reviewer they should also say what they see not what the camera sees, they didn't even covered the normal shadows at the bottom, or the Glo having the bottom bar, clear or solid...I watch full length reviews always.
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #67
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Yes throughout the video, they point out many advantages of the Glo over the Paperwhite. However, if you watch it to the end, their recommendation at the end is the Kindle wins. This recommendation is mainly based on PDF handling, white light, and the store experience. However the light on the Glo is FINE (I actually buy my light bulbs on the blue side if I have a choice so would probably prefer it side-by-side; and my Glo doesn't look blue in my opinion). The Kobo store is not great, agreed; I buy books on my computer or tablet. PDF is probably easier with the Paperwhite, that's fair; I don't use PDF. However the font customization ability, SD slot, CBR/CBZ format, and smaller size and weight of Glo were not even mentioned in their wrapup.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #68
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
In their review of the paperwhite they are now saying it also had a blue tinge!
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #69
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Yes throughout the video, they point out many advantages of the Glo over the Paperwhite. However, if you watch it to the end, their recommendation at the end is the Kindle wins. This recommendation is mainly based on PDF handling, white light, and the store experience. However the light on the Glo is FINE (I actually buy my light bulbs on the blue side if I have a choice so would probably prefer it side-by-side; and my Glo doesn't look blue in my opinion). The Kobo store is not great, agreed; I buy books on my computer or tablet. PDF is probably easier with the Paperwhite, that's fair; I don't use PDF. However the font customization ability, SD slot, CBR/CBZ format, and smaller size and weight of Glo were not even mentioned in their wrapup.
SD slot and CBR/CBZ format actually were mentioned. They did talk about fonts, too. But I wasn't paying too much attention at the time.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #70
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post

Very weak review.
They based their conclunsion more in the "ecosystem" than the devises themselves.Also they seem to rate the PW's light higher than the Glo's.
Personaly I think they are pretty much the same

I definitely not going to take into account anymore their reviews when I buy my next e-reader in November.

btw:They rated 10/10 the Paperwhite in their review!
The same product Amazon apologized for.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #71
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Their reviews are pretty amateurish in my opinion but they do give nice long videos.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #72
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
I think you'd have been as well waiting for another few weeks until the Paperwhite is available in the UK and had a look at it instore the same as you did with the Glo. But that's immaterial now, and I hope you'll post and update on how you find the Glo after using it for a while.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on going from what was a very stable e-reader to Kobo (hopefully they won't have the same firmware issues they did with the Touch), but it'd still be good to hear what you think after some extended use of the Glo.
Well I bought the Kobo Glo and it arrived on Saturday - yesterday, Monday I returned it.

I was in two minds whether to keep it or not as I really like so much about it - tap to page turn, no buttons (so smaller size), plenty of fonts and easy to add more, widely adjustable font sizes, adjustable line spacing and probably more I can't remember right now. Side loading books was easy and setting up Shelves (Collections) using Calibre was easy. Some of my side loaded reformatted ePubs were showing with no side margin but I understand that is an easy automated Calibre fix too - I just didn't get around to doing it.

Why did I return it? Firstly, I bought it to read in a dimly lit room without a separate clip on light. For me, the light was too bright even on the lowest setting. It also made my eyes ache, they felt tired and gritty just like when using a backlit screen. The light itself was fairly even, no coloured spots or bright/dark pixels, but on a very low setting it was slightly brighter around the sides of the page, nothing really bad though. The speed of operation of the 1GHz processor was good, as was the responsiveness of the touch screen. Maybe slightly faster and more responsive than the 650, but not obviously so.

Over the two days I used the Glo I read 1.5 books so gave it a good test run for the purpose for which I bought it. (I didn't test wifi or buying books from the device as this is something I never do. I prefer to buy from different places, download to my computer, strip DRM and then side load onto the reader.) I found myself reading with the light off most of the time and when I compared the screen with my 650, I couldn't see any noticeable difference with regard to whiteness of the screen. It did freeze twice during the two days, but I was playing around alot (like going from smallest size to largest) font size, line spacing and different fonts at the same time - while I was reading and generally moving between screens, it behaved perfectly (firmware 2.1.5). My opinion is that the Sony rarely freezes because there isn't much you can do to change things, keeping it simple and playing it safe makes for a stable user experience. Personally, I would rather have the option to tweak the fonts and lines to suit myself and risk the occasional crash. Of course there was an obvious difference in overall quality of the device when holding it - after all the 650 new cost twice as much as the Glo - but I would be prepared to give up the (cold in winter) metal casing for a lighter and smaller device.

However, overall, I couldn't justify paying the £99 just for the option of tweaking a few settings, although I was very tempted. My wish list for my next reader is as small and light as possible while keeping a 6" screen, higher resolution, plenty of fonts, font sizes and line spacing options, fast processor speeds, not black plastic, low price, open to all stores/file types. I suppose if I could source different parts from existing readers, I could come up with a device I would find worthwhile upgrading to, but none of the currently available devices fit my requirements. My next move? Probably to get access to a PC so I can install PRS+ on my faithful 650, but I'm not certain even this would give me the control over font sizes and line spacing I'm looking for - the Kobo really impressed me with their flexibility in this area, maybe a Touch?
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #73
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Go with the Glo, it uses the open format epub whereas the Paperwhite is locked with its mobi format.
Also the Glo is honestly stylish and good looking with its quilted back, though the PW is not ugly.

Anyways go with the Glo !
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #74
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
My next move? Probably to get access to a PC so I can install PRS+ on my faithful 650, but I'm not certain even this would give me the control over font sizes and line spacing I'm looking for - the Kobo really impressed me with their flexibility in this area, maybe a Touch?
As long as you can live without a light it's probably worth giving the Kobo Touch a shot. The screen resolution is the same as all the "older" readers (pretty much anything outside the Kobo Glo or Kindle Paperwhite in the mainstream readers), and I have found the extra resolution doesn't make much different except in pictures. The Touch runs for all intents and purposes the same firmware as the Glo. And you're right, it's when you do a lot of changes of fonts/sizes/margins all at once that will often cause a reboot.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #75
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
and I have found the extra resolution doesn't make much different except in pictures.
I disagree. The extra resolution is what allows for nicer fonts AND have them be readable. It also allows you to use smaller fonts and have them be readable. On the kindle the lowest settings were nearly unreadable because the resolution was so low. On the PW that is no longer the case. On large font settings, you might not know a difference but on my preferred settings the font rendering is noticeably sharper.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote