Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
johneveryman
johneveryman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (iPhone 4,PC,3 WiFi)
Syncing last page read between multiple Kindle devices?

Guys,

I have been searching for the LONGEST being a quiet reader of the forum but I have gotten nowhere close to my goal. I need to:

* Update my books to last page read between MULTIPLE devices: my work laptop (Kindle for PC), iPhone 4 (Kindle App), and Kindle 3 WiFi WITHOUT having to connect each device to my laptop after I've finished reading.

This is basically what I get without hassle when buying books from Amazon.

I will make a donation to Calibre if I can have this as it would save me from having to buy books that I would rather obtain free from the multiple free ebook websites.

The challenge is ON!!!
johneveryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneveryman View Post
* Update my books to last page read between MULTIPLE devices: my work laptop (Kindle for PC), iPhone 4 (Kindle App), and Kindle 3 WiFi WITHOUT having to connect each device to my laptop after I've finished reading.
I don't have a Kindle, but this should be automatic with any book converted to mobi using calbre.

Quote:
Release: 0.7.44 [04 Feb, 2011]

New Features
  • MOBI Output: Use the book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with calibre generated MOBI files. Closes tickets: 8721
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Renamed thread to something meaningful. Please use thread titles that at least partially describe what the thread is about.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
This functionality is already in Calibre. A little research probably would have went a long way, here.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
johneveryman

Thanks to those who replied with actual information. I really appreciate it.

However, I read books all the time on my Kindle for PC and it does not sync to the last read page on PC or Kindle. (The Kindle stays on the last page read on Kindle but doesn't update to the page last read on PC)

It is in mobi format and I "sent" it to my Kindle for PC by clicking on "save to disk" and placing it in my Kindle for PC directory.

Does anyone know a more effective way?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It is in mobi format and I "sent" it to my Kindle for PC by clicking on "save to disk" and placing it in my Kindle for PC directory. Does anyone know a more effective way?
But was it converted by calibre? Even if it is already a mobi, you must do a mobi to mobi conversion for the synching to work. You also must put a copy of that file you just converted with calibre in both K4PC and on your Kindle. You didn't mention putting the same file on your Kindle. So basically:

1) Convert (even if its already a mobi)
2) "Send to" K4PC (save to disk, manual copy... whatever you like)
3) "Send to" Kindle (same file as in step two, however you like to get them on your Kindle)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do not email files to your Kindle, that will prevent syncing from working, use the USB cable instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
Do not email files to your Kindle, that will prevent syncing from working, use the USB cable instead.
Good point. I always forget that part. Probably because I can't email files directly to my K2 without being charged for it.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
johneveryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But was it converted by calibre? Even if it is already a mobi, you must do a mobi to mobi conversion for the synching to work. You also must put a copy of that file you just converted with calibre in both K4PC and on your Kindle. You didn't mention putting the same file on your Kindle. So basically:

1) Convert (even if its already a mobi)
2) "Send to" K4PC (save to disk, manual copy... whatever you like)
3) "Send to" Kindle (same file as in step two, however you like to get them on your Kindle)
Yes, it was converted using calibre [original ePub] and the mobi files sent to Kindle. I also obtained metadata from Amazon.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
and the mobi files sent to Kindle.
Via the USB cable?

Quote:
I also obtained metadata from Amazon.
I don't know what that means with regards to this process.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-04-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
johneveryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Via the USB cable?

I don't know what that means with regards to this process.
Yes, via USB cable.

I obtained the metadata because it would get the Amazon ID in hopes that the sync would be obtained through my multiple devices without having to connect to Calibre after reading to sync my last page read.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Guys,

I have been searching for the LONGEST being a quiet reader of the forum but I have gotten nowhere close to my goal. I need to:

This is basically what I get without hassle when buying books from Amazon.

I will make a donation to Calibre if I can have this as it would save me from having to buy books that I would rather obtain free from the multiple free ebook websites.

The challenge is ON!!!
I use this Calibre feature all the time with books not bought at Amazon, but I realized that I've never used it with Kindle4PC (only with my Kindle 3 WiFi and my Android phone/Kindle app). So I tried sending a .mobi book from Calibre (using save to disk) to K4PC on my laptop and to my Kindle 3 (not via email). I read a bit on my laptop, then went to the same book on the Kindle 3. I chose the option to sync it to the last page read, and it worked. Then I read a few more pages, closed the book on the Kindle, and went to the laptop. When I opened the same book on the laptop with K4PC, it didn't automatically go to the last page read on the Kindle. I chose Go To -> Sync to Furthest Page Read, and then it did sync.
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
johneveryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statch View Post
I use this Calibre feature all the time with books not bought at Amazon, but I realized that I've never used it with Kindle4PC (only with my Kindle 3 WiFi and my Android phone/Kindle app). So I tried sending a .mobi book from Calibre (using save to disk) to K4PC on my laptop and to my Kindle 3 (not via email). I read a bit on my laptop, then went to the same book on the Kindle 3. I chose the option to sync it to the last page read, and it worked. Then I read a few more pages, closed the book on the Kindle, and went to the laptop. When I opened the same book on the laptop with K4PC, it didn't automatically go to the last page read on the Kindle. I chose Go To -> Sync to Furthest Page Read, and then it did sync.
Great! this is the kind of guide I was looking for! How can one sync annotations wirelessly between Kindle for PC and Kindle 3???
Old 08-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Great! this is the kind of guide I was looking for! How can one sync annotations wirelessly between Kindle for PC and Kindle 3???
Glad it helped! It's a fantastic feature.

I'm not positive but I don't think you can sync annotations using the Calibre methods for books not purchased at Amazon. I think it only works for the last page read.
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not positive but I don't think you can sync annotations using the Calibre methods for books not purchased at Amazon. I think it only works for the last page read.
Yep. Last page read is the only thing that will synchronize with non-amazon mobi's.