Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #166
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
You guys either wear very tight pants or the pants have little tiny pockets.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #167
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Indeed.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #168
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can get the note 2 or 3 in most of my pockets. It's big but it's not that big.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #169
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can get the note 2 or 3 in most of my pockets. It's big but it's not that big.
!

Ha, you said big but!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #170
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
People have asked me how I fit my Note 2 into my pocket. But I can fit it in sideways even. Not a problem. I can fit my Nexus 7 in my pocket too, a little tight, but it fits. Even though it fits I wouldn't want to carry it around all the time. It's just a tad too large. But I would have no problem holding it up to my face like a phone.

I want the largest phone I can comfortably carry. I'm thinking ~6" or ~6.5" with a very thin bezel.
Ditto. The ability to see the screen without constantly scrolling sideways is more important to me than almost anything else. I would never go back to a smaller phone. Samsung Mega, anyone?
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #171
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
... so there is the obvious march to providing bigger and bigger screens because it is one of those features that is much easier to demonstrate in stores.
Better, yes, but bigger isn't really what most people seem to want. Phones have gotten bigger, but tablets have gotten smaller, so an actual "phablet" (I sort of think the term is cute) makes a relatively good compromise. Working on anything smaller than 5" isn't very convenient, and using a 7" device as a phone isn't really comfortable. So 5"-5.5" might be a happy medium. (It's what I'd want if I decided to merge my phone and my tablet into one device.)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:50 AM   #172
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
I don't like the idea of carrying any expensive device in a pants pocket. If it's in the back pocket, it could be sat on and broken. If it's in a keys pocket, it could be scratched. If it's with the wallet, it could be pulled out and dropped accidentally.

What's wrong with carrying a [insert consonants]ablet in a jacket or coat pocket or, failing that, in a briefcase, messenger bag or backpack?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-26-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #173
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I don't like the idea of carrying any expensive device in a pants pocket. If it's in the back pocket, it could be sat on and broken. If it's in a keys pocket, it could be scratched. If it's with the wallet, it could be pulled out and dropped accidentally.

What's wrong with carrying a [insert consonants]ablet in a jacket or coat pocket or, failing that, in a briefcase, messenger bag or backpack?
Not a thing. I'm not the one complaining about it being too big. I utilize whatever I need to have my Note 2 with me.

My point is that I have no problem putting it in any of my pockets whether my pants (I put my keys in other places from my phone) or jackets, coats, or putting it in my backpack.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #174
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
The thing is, they may fit but they can get to a point where they are almost impossible to easily get in and out of the pocket while sitting down. Even 5" phones are difficult for me. And no, I don't wear tight pants, but I am in shape so my pants aren't excessively large.

So a phablet is too large for me, but I can still see their appeal. To each their own. It's great having so many quality choices today.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #175
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I used to prefer large screen smartphones and was thinking of buying Note2. But a few months back I started running and I need my phone with me to listen to my audiobooks and see my progress. I don't like to carry multiple devices, hence a 4-4.3 screen is maximum I am willing to carry with me. Big screen phones maybe future but hopefully they will continue to make smaller phones without compromising on specs. My preference keeps changing over years I guess.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #176
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
The thing is, they may fit but they can get to a point where they are almost impossible to easily get in and out of the pocket while sitting down. Even 5" phones are difficult for me. And no, I don't wear tight pants, but I am in shape so my pants aren't excessively large.

So a phablet is too large for me, but I can still see their appeal. To each their own. It's great having so many quality choices today.
I had the same experience with an old 5" phone (I compared it to a friend's Note 1, it was just a tad smaller). And I also feel that a 5" really is still much too small for comfortable website surfing, etc. Now I have settled on 4.5" and I really don't notice the difference to my old 5" phone, for browsing. But I wouldn't go any smaller, either. Let us hope the foldable, rollable screens come soon. An 8" screen in a package no larger than today's 4.5" phones, now that would be ideal.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #177
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I am still waiting for the "roll out screens" they had in "Earth - Final Conflict."

For now, though 5" seems to be the compromise for portability and ease of use.
I did use a 4.3" for a few years, and got used to it.
Now my goto machine is 5". Above that, a laptop or desktop.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #178
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Not a thing. I'm not the one complaining about it being too big. I utilize whatever I need to have my Note 2 with me.

My point is that I have no problem putting it in any of my pockets whether my pants (I put my keys in other places from my phone) or jackets, coats, or putting it in my backpack.
I didn't intend to contest your point, but perhaps that would have been clearer if I'd begun my post with the words "Besides which, . . ."

I also liked the comically surreal image of pants with tiny pockets.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #179
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I want my device with me at all times, always. If I walk down the hall and I left my device in a jacket or bag then it's doing me no good when I need it. That's why I always keep it in my pocket, all by itself.

I think that most people will want the largest phone that is comfortable for them. A co-worker has a Note 2, as do I, but when I see him hold his it looks HUGE. But it works for him. Other people have smaller hands than me and their largest phone will be smaller than my largest phone.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 AM   #180
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I've recently purchased a samsung galaxy s3 (4.8" size), and find that using mantano reader for epubs the books are very readable for me even with my poor eyesight because one can increase font sizes within a wide range; however, for a normal pdf file, the letters are extremely small if the full page is shown.

Last edited by bobcdy; 02-03-2014 at 02:10 AM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote