Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Giulio
Giulio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3g+WiFi
About unlocking the free 3G worldwide for full browsing experience.

Hi, i'm from italy and i bought a kindle touch 3g, that in my counrty is not 3g at all since i can visit only amazon and english wikipedia and anything else without wifi.
I'm not a developer, i'm just an old geek linux user.
I've not tested this yet since i've trouble accessing my kindle trough ssh but here are two ideas for unlocing 3g in all countris.
1)Since i think that the block is via sofwtare there is maybe a way to fake the real country or something else

2)Just modify the host file (every machine should have one, doesn't the kindle?) and point something like http://surrogafier.org (where run a php http proxy) to amazon.com or en.wikipedia.org browsing the internet from here. I think that the same can be made with ssh tunneling, for example tu use irssi.

Does anyone have some suggest or other ideas? And can anyone try it?
Thanks

Last edited by Giulio; 03-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulio View Post
Hi, i'm from italy and i bought a kindle touch 3g, that in my counrty is not 3g at all since i can visit only amazon and english wikipedia and anything else without wifi.
I'm not a developer, i'm just an old geek linux user.
I've not tested this yet since i've trouble accessing my kindle trough ssh but here are two ideas for unlocing 3g in all countris.
1)Since i think that the block is via sofwtare there is maybe a way to fake the real country or something else

2)Just modify the host file (every machine should have one, doesn't the kindle?) and point something like 74.63.233.218 (where i run a php http proxy, i don't guarantee the service there) to amazon.com or en.wikipedia.org browsing the internet from here. I think that the same can be made with ssh tunneling, for example tu use irssi.

Does anyone have some suggest or other ideas? And can anyone try it?
Thanks
While there may be limitations to the software installed in your kindle, but main "block" to what services are provided is on the "provider side" of the communications.

For instance, in the case of 3G:
While the user's location may be recorded on the SIM in your kindle (and available for modification by the user) -
The GPS location of the cell tower that you are connected to is determined at the cell tower (not available for modification by the user).

Since the limits to what communications are allowed are mostly set by the services available from the provider, "unlocking the free 3G" is not practical.

What you do make use of the 3G communications is tracked by the provider and made available to Amazon - what they do about it is a matter of their own business practices, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=1

Your topic also includes changing the limits on the "browsing experience".

If you treat that as separate from changing the limits on 3G services, that might be possible to change on the Kindle.
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Giulio
Giulio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3g+WiFi
D'oh .-.
I thought about that since some motnhs ago i read on some Italian blog that, changing the residence in USA made the full 3g working also in Italy (there were also some proof), but now doesn't work anymore.
Thanks for the explanation
Old 03-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulio View Post
D'oh .-.
I thought about that since some motnhs ago i read on some Italian blog that, changing the residence in USA made the full 3g working also in Italy (there were also some proof), but now doesn't work anymore.
Thanks for the explanation
Check the APN (Access Point Name) that is being used in your SIM card (card can hold 16 of them, but probably only has one).

If the APN is set for a carrier in Italy, then you get Italy services.
If the APN is set for a carrier in USA, then you get USA roaming services.

Perhaps Amazon has disabled "roaming" service from Italy. Might be why the older post showed it worked then, but doesn't work now.

Note:
You can use the "AT" set of commands to the 3G modem/radio to get it to tell you what is stored as the APN (and anything else).

In one of my (early) posts here I included directions/links for getting the AT Command set document for the Qualcomm chip. Check my posts by name.

How to send the commands on your Kindle? I don't have a clue. Maybe someone else here knows now to do that.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
squigish
squigish began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Touch
The kindle 4 only allows wikipedia, amazon, and receiving @kindle.com emails over 3G, even in the US. You have to get the Kindle 3 (kindle keyboard) to get unrestricted 3g web browsing, and I don't know if that will work outside the US or not.
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Hi,

I can confirm that the US version of the k3g works on 3G in Taiwan - my friend has one.

Thanks,
James
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
My work colleague has K3 with 3G, and 3G works in Russia just fine for him.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It's probably just as with other things - it depends on your Amazon account (plus, maybe, the model of your Kindle, identified by serial number as an "international" version as opposed to "US version").

However, I can't see why this breech of Amazon's TOS would be much different from "tethering via Kindle's 3G", so the "How-To" part is probably a discussion that is not supposed to be held here.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
However, I can't see why this breech of Amazon's TOS would be much different from "tethering via Kindle's 3G", so the "How-To" part is probably a discussion that is not supposed to be held here.
I have to disagree with that, if you are writing about changing the access point name in my post above as a "breech of Amazon's TOS".

If you change the APN to a non-Amazon service provider, you are subject to that provider's rules.
If you change the APN to an Amazon service provider, you are still subject to Amazon's rules.

Regardless, (at least) the cell tower you connect to includes its GPS location (a requirement to make the system routing work) in the connection information.
So the service provider account automation can tell exactly what physical location you are calling from (Twain, Italy, USA, Germany) regardless of the access point name used.

And nothing the user can do to change or "spoof" that, it isn't accessible to the user.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
No, I wasn't talking about that APN change. It was more directed towards the OP questions.

However, I would take your suggestion with a grain of salt, too. The APN is a much higher layer, but you're still connected to the network authentificated by the SIM. And that's an Amazon authentification and with a different APN, you're using it out of its specification. Well, given that billing in mobile networks usually is by traffic and that this traffic usually gets measured on a certain APN is also true. So you're probably doing no damage to Amazon when using a different APN. But you're still exploiting the fact that you're allowed to that network at all because you have an Amazon SIM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
No, I wasn't talking about that APN change. It was more directed towards the OP questions.

However, I would take your suggestion with a grain of salt, too. The APN is a much higher layer, but you're still connected to the network authentificated by the SIM. And that's an Amazon authentification and with a different APN, you're using it out of its specification. Well, given that billing in mobile networks usually is by traffic and that this traffic usually gets measured on a certain APN is also true. So you're probably doing no damage to Amazon when using a different APN. But you're still exploiting the fact that you're allowed to that network at all because you have an Amazon SIM.
Ah, right, I did not include a full set of disclaimers...

1) I have not tried this on an Amazon SIM card myself.

2) I do not know if the Amazon SIM card has the APN list (cryptographically) locked.

3) One of the differences between a "US Only" and an "International" is that the SIM card has more than one APN registered in its APN list.

4) The APN list of the SIM card may also be changed from the "provider" side of the communication's link. (This is what happens when you "activate" a new SIM card with a service provider, they write this and other subscriber identification in the "Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) ).

5) If the provider running the cell tower you connect with does not have a business agreement in place for handling calls using an APN name - it just will not place the call for you - no carrier "gives away" calls in the hope that someday they can bill somebody for it.

6) The "TOS" present on my K3-Keyboard is 88 pages long - I think I am only upto page 66 - there may be some conditions in there I haven't read yet.

@Hawhill:
You have mentioned you are a law student; I suppose you read all 88 pages the first chance you had, at least out of curiosity.

Is there any mention in there of changing the 3G modem, its unlocked SIM card information or the SIM card itself?

Last edited by knc1; 04-05-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice
This discussion is too similar to the tethering discussions. In both cases the intention is to find a way around the Amazon-imposed limits on using the 3G connection, essentially defrauding Amazon.

Even though I am assured that it is not, in fact, possible to get around the limitations,

Thread closed.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-05-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Closed Thread