Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #1246
knauck
root
knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I thought your avatar was a penguin with a slice of pizza in it's mouth at first...
knauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #1247
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
"now THAT's a spicy meatball"
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #1248
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
Ask the folks in the lounge.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #1249
man33sh
man33sh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm not sure if anyone's asked this already on this thread but it's kind opf difficult to go through all the pages. Hope someone can help me.

I'm trying to put my device in fastboot but MfgTool refuses to recognize it.

Please do let me know if more info is required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DevMgr.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	109106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mfg.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	109107  
man33sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #1250
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by man33sh View Post
I'm not sure if anyone's asked this already on this thread but it's kind opf difficult to go through all the pages. Hope someone can help me.

I'm trying to put my device in fastboot but MfgTool refuses to recognize it.

Please do let me know if more info is required.
I already told you over in the Kubrick thread that your u-boot seems to be damaged. If Kubrick can't get your device into fastboot mode, then MfgTool can't either - there's no need to even try. You have to go for serial debricking, USB debricking won't work on your device.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #1251
man33sh

Sorry, thought it may!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #1252
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man33sh View Post
Sorry, thought it may!
Well ok, you actually might have a small chance of repairing it without a serial cable, but you'll have to experiment quite a bit.

See post #728 of this thread for something that can directly boot you into fastboot mode. Then, you could (probably) overwrite the u-boot bist with the one I posted in #725. Check a few posts before and after these, too, to see what the discussion is all about.

... assuming that that the missing/damaged u-boot bist actually is the cause of your problems.

All the tools that you need (imx_usb_loader, fastboot etc.) are already contained in the Kubrick image, but you'll have to manually use them. (You can use Alt+F2 to switch to an interactive console).

Otherwise, search for the tools on the forum, and try to get them to work on Windows. (BTW, one reason for writing Kubrick was precisely that an incredible amount of people had problems getting mfgtool to run properly on Windows )
Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #1253
man33sh

Just saw your reply today as I had almost given up. I did go through those posts you asked me to but honestly, I don't know where to start and what do I do with the file. Complete noob
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #1254
man33sh

Any advice? Could it simply be an issue with the battery? Is there any way to rule it out?

Old 11-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #1255
maxmyo
maxmyo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replika View Post
I've bought a PW demo unit from eBay with a hope that I can get it working as normal device.

Basically, what I have done so far:
1. Buy a FTDI Breakout USB-TTL (~$8)
2. Solder Kindle serial pins
3. Use kermit, login as root, dd mmcblk0p[123] to /mnt/us
4. Reboot in recovery mode
5. Export FAT partition
6. Plug USB cable and backup mmcblk0p[123] to my PC

I'm going to copy official kindle update from amazon website and do:

U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition

Is that safe doing that? What else should I backup?
Would you or anyone here on the forum document this method or maybe point me to the right threads to have more detailed steps on how to unbrick or restore PW , i have been searching the forums for 2 days now i can find snippets of information every now and then but can't piece it all together , in this method he used "kermit is this the only tool can be used or there are other tools could be used in Win environment like "putty" i'm good with hardware and electronics but i'm new to kindles in general and linux commands , i can create a detailed tutorial once i get this done.

Last edited by maxmyo; 11-09-2013 at 12:36 PM.
maxmyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #1256
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Well ok, you actually might have a small chance of repairing it without a serial cable, but you'll have to experiment quite a bit.

See post #728 of this thread for something that can directly boot you into fastboot mode. Then, you could (probably) overwrite the u-boot bist with the one I posted in #725. Check a few posts before and after these, too, to see what the discussion is all about.

... assuming that that the missing/damaged u-boot bist actually is the cause of your problems.

All the tools that you need (imx_usb_loader, fastboot etc.) are already contained in the Kubrick image, but you'll have to manually use them. (You can use Alt+F2 to switch to an interactive console).

Otherwise, search for the tools on the forum, and try to get them to work on Windows. (BTW, one reason for writing Kubrick was precisely that an incredible amount of people had problems getting mfgtool to run properly on Windows )
I have that in my imx_usb_loader on github.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #1257
DudeMan
DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.

Device: PW1
Quote:
UPDATE: Good news for Paperwhite owners! A PW has been debricked from the dreaded "Your Kindle Needs Repair" screen! Nice job kaznelson!
Is there a guide/steps I can follow?

I read through the that section of the thread but I have no idea where to start.

I have a PW1 stuck on a "Your Kindle Needs Repair".

DudeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #1258
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@DudeMan: Which FW version is it running, and what hacks do you have installed on it?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #1259
ixtab
(offline)

If you still have access to it via USB, try this.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #1260
DudeMan
DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@DudeMan: Which FW version is it running, and what hacks do you have installed on it?
I bought a used PW1 and not 1 day of using it, I was having issues like freezing, unable to register, and bootloops.

So I read around, found out that there was an updated firmware. Downloaded the "update_kindle_5.3.9.bin" file from amazon's site and the update went smoothly. (I can't remember what firmware it was on before I updated).

I can't remember exactly what I did next, I didn't install anything else, no hacks, nothing, but I restarted the kindle and after that all I could go to was the YKNR screen.

Charging overnight, holding the power button for 20s+, didn't do anything.

The kindle gets recognized as a usb drive when plugged in to the laptop, for a few seconds, then it reboots and goes back to the "Your Kindle Needs Repair" screen.

I didn't sleep that night, reading around this board, etc. The following morning I contacted Amazon support through chat (I'm located in Southeast Asia, getting a kindle here could get expensive, shipping+taxes). And was offered refurbs.

So I gave up, accepted the loss. After a few days I decided to post and I don't know what to say... ixtab, will you marry me???

You don't know how happy I am right now, man. On a very tight budget, it's a little tough right now so buying another one isn't gonna happen anytime soon. I've been feeling awful the past few days - bought a used PW to save a few bucks, ended up losing more

Thank you ixtab for the early Christmas present
DudeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking