Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Apple Lists Calibre as Creation Tool

Apple, through iTunes Connect, in its informational FAQ section – oddly titled, "Contact Us" – lists Adobe In Design and Calibre as two ePub creation tools.

Is Calibre ready for this? Is Apple? I ask because Calibre epubs fail validation due to the date difference. If this has recently changed I apologize. Apple's iBook system will not accept epubs that fail validation.

In one post Kovid Goyal says something to this effect (I write from memory, this is not an actual quote), "Use Sigil for ePub development and Calibre for book organization."

Kovid, I am wondering what you think about Apple listing your program as an ePub creation tool for books in the iBookstore.

Thanks - Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have had no trouble with iBooks accepting Calibre converted books? I assume that perhaps you meant the iBookStore instead? If so it is always easy to manually edit the ePub file to make the date pass validation.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I have had no trouble with iBooks accepting Calibre converted books? I assume that perhaps you meant the iBookStore instead? If so it is always easy to manually edit the ePub file to make the date pass validation.
Yes, the iBookstore.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The date incompatibility is because of a bug in epubcheck not calibre. Incidentally, Adobe InDesign will also give you epubs that dont pass the iBookStore validation process.

Basically, iBookStore needs to fix its validation process either by fixing epubcheck or ignoring some of epubchecks erroneous errors.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Fabe
Dylanologist

Kovid - I'm not asking you to change a thing. I understand the date issue from other posts. I just wondering what impact you think being listed as an Apple epub creation tool. I mean, should we all start buying stock in Calibre!

(Okay, I know you have top go public first.) :-)
Old 06-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, well we'll see I still think of calibre as a conversion tool. And most calibre users are ebook consumers rather than producers. But if people want to use it to prepare books for publication, more power to them.

Adobe also recommend calibre for converting the output of InDesign to MOBI.

I'm actually planning to write a small tool in calibre to fix common problems in EPUB files to make it easier to create publication ready EPUB files.

At this point, the only big company that doesn't recommend calibre is Amazon, in fact, I believe they send emails to people that submit calibre created books warning them not to use calibre.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Frank Lowney
frank.lowney
Frank Lowney began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Apple iTunes Connect recommends against the use of calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The date incompatibility is because of a bug in epubcheck not calibre. Incidentally, Adobe InDesign will also give you epubs that dont pass the iBookStore validation process.

Basically, iBookStore needs to fix its validation process either by fixing epubcheck or ignoring some of epubchecks erroneous errors.
Looking at iTunes Connect (for iBioikstore publishers) today, I see this statement in the FAQ:

"Note that some tools do not create valid EPUBs. We therefore strongly recommend against using Calibre. "

Path: https://itunesconnect.apple.com/WebO...=creationtools (auth required)

I assume that Apple is talking about the output of calibre's conversion routines of which there are several.

Or is this simply about the date bug in ePub check?
Frank Lowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lowney View Post
Or is this simply about the date bug in ePub check?
Or is it apple trying to maintain its walled garden?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
[...] in fact, I believe they send emails to people that submit calibre created books warning them not to use calibre.
Wait, what? Really? And I always thought Apple would be the biggest software xenophobe out there.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's an affliction common to wannabe monopolists of every stripe