Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Cover Browser (related) bug (0.7.3)

I've found some strange behaviour from the cover browser:

The cover browser functions as intended when I first start up Calibre. But certain actions seem to 'break' it so it's not interactive anymore (mousewheel, arrow buttons, or clicking on the side books no longer works). It still changes to the appropriate cover if I select a book in the Library list, but I can't navigate using the cover browser itself until the next time I restart Calibre.

Trigger:

EDIT: See my post below.

Last edited by Stinger; 06-18-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I've found some strange behaviour from the cover browser:

The cover browser functions as intended when I first start up Calibre. But certain actions seem to 'break' it so it's not interactive anymore (mousewheel, arrow buttons, or clicking on the side books no longer works). It still changes to the appropriate cover if I select a book in the Library list, but I can't navigate using the cover browser itself until the next time I restart Calibre.

Trigger:
Selecting a book from the Library list, and then clicking on on the cover browser. I've spent the past hour restarting Calibre and trying to narrow it down a little more so I could provide something more helpful to Kovid et al. without much success. Clicking on the one the trigger zones that cause a left/right flip seems to not cause the bug as much as clicking the 'non-active' areas. I've also noted that the quicker I click on the browser after selecting a book, the more likely it is to trigger.

If your first click on the browser after selecting a book from the Library list doesn't trigger the bug, subsequent clicks don't seem to matter. But repeating the sequence (select book from list, then immediately click on CV browser) a few times causes it pretty consistently. I can get it to freeze 95% of the time by 2-3 repeats of the sequence.

Let me know if I can post some kind of log file or debug output to help out narrow this down.
Running with CV browser detached on XP SP3 1G+ DRAM

Spun the wheel.
Clicked the Hot Zoned, Dead Zones: hi and lo
selected titles in the book list
Re read you message (switched applications to do so) repeated above.

I love to tone down the reflection,

that's my only issue
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I'm running Win7 x86 Ultimate.

I've been able to replicate the issue consistently, regardless of whether the browser is embedded or not.

But I think I was wrong in my guess at what was causing it. What I forgot to mention is that after selecting a book and clicking on the browser pane/window, I would roll my mouse-wheel to test if the browser still worked. If it did, I'd select a different book from the list and quickly click back to the browser.

It seems that it was the act of selecting a different book from the list while the cover browser was still in motion that was the cause, not anything to do with clicking back to the browser. Sorry!

To replicate the issue, do this:
1. Give the cover browser focus, and 'spin' it using your mousewheel.
2. While the covers are still in motion from your spin, select a random book from the Library list.

Last edited by Stinger; 06-18-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
After some playing around, it looks like its the act of selecting a book from the list while the cover browser is still in motion that's the real culprit.

2. Give the cover browser focus, and 'spin' it using your mousewheel.
3. While the covers are still in motion from your spin, select a different book from the Library list.
Following steps 2 and 3 I locked up my cover browser to. Maybe Kovid can identify and correct this problem.

Until I hear of a solution I'm going to treat it like that old doctor joke.

Patient: Doctor! Doctor! it hurts when I do this!
Doctor: Well, then don't do that!

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-19-2010 at 07:45 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Duplicated on XP

The controls for the cover browser lock-out
Selecting the title in the Library still changes the cover in the browser.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Fixed in next release
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote