Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Thumbs up Fictionwise Jumps in?

I received this response from an inquiry:

Hello,

Fictionwise is currently investigating the options for supporting an
eBook format compatible with the new Sony eReader.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Lynn
Fictionwise Support Team

The more of us who ask them, the more likely this will happen.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I really haven't looked much at Fictionwise in the past, even though they seem like a great e-book store. But this would sure get my attention if they follow through.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I got a similar response

to my message. I noted that Baen's .rtf files work fine, so they really don't need support from Sony.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
lensman
lensman doesn't litterlensman doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon
to my message. I noted that Baen's .rtf files work fine, so they really don't need support from Sony.
Would someone explain how this would work?
1. On the fictionwise site, I don't see RTF as a format available for multiformat books.
2. Is all fictionwise content from Baen?
3. What about fictionwise content that is secured?
lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
No, all Fictionwise content is not from Baen.

Baen sells their stuff on their webscriptions site in multiple, non-DRM formats, one of which is RTF. Basically, Xenophon was hinting that they should go with an RTF format (which would be very nice)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
cfc
cfc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350
I would love it if they used RTF also, but nonDRM BBeB would be OK too. Actually some multiformat books on Fictionwise are also being sold by Sony Connect (i.e. some Darrell Bain books).

I don't think that Fictionwise could sell encrypted BBeB books directly, however they could possibly sell them through the Sony Connect store.

Unless Sony comes up with micropay accounts, I don't think they will be able to sell sub-dollar short stories very well.
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfc
I don't think that Fictionwise could sell encrypted BBeB books directly....
I think the Reader uses Marlin encryption (the name represents my whole knowledge of the matter), though I couldn't even begin to guess how Fictionwise might be able to make anything of that datum.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
atreis
atreis began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Fictionwise has some stuff that Connect doesn't that I'm interesting in. Unfortunately, it's all DRMd at Fictionwise, which it seems likely means they would have to sell it through Connect...
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
In my experience Lynn never says no, but then she never says yes either.

The BBeB format would undoubtedly require a license from Sony. FW would need to have an interface to the Sony Reader PC software to DL the ebooks into its library so the titles could then be DL'd and authorized for that Reader.

Has anyone tried password protected PDF's on the Reader? This would provide roughly the same security FW has at present for other titles.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
lensman
lensman doesn't litterlensman doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks for the explanations! It all makes sense now!
lensman is offline   Reply With Quote