Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Smile Any epub reader for PC allows me to change text and background color?

I've been looking for such a epub reader for PC that will allow me to change the text and background colors. I've been reading on computer screen for too many years long before my e-ink readers came along and my eyes has been damaged really bad. Now at 24 years old I couldn't stare on computer screen with white background and black text more than 30 min any more. As I download a lot of free books and samples over the internet, I'd like to still be able to read them on my computer before putting them in my readers to clutter it, especially the samples. so any suggestions? I think the black background with light gray text would be the easiest on the eyes.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
The EPUBReader add-on for FireFox allows you to select:
  • background colour
  • font face
  • font size
  • font colour
  • margin size
There is a dedicated forum for EPUBReader here, at MobileRead.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader is totally customizable. Note that this includes ignoring some (most) CSS in favor of user-specified layout options. For ePubs, it also does not display most SVG graphics and tables. Even so, it is my favorite ebook reading app. See the attached screenshot.

The B&N Windows app has customizable colors, and displays ePubs. It also ignores some CSS, and I'm not sure how it does on generic ePubs (vs ePubs from B&N).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbit_ebub_FBR.gif
Views:	1349
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	51417  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's reader allows you to specify your own stylesheet to customize the display, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=51500&page=2
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Thank you guys for all the recommendations! I really love the FBreader, it's simple and easy and it allows me to read not only epub but a lot other types of files. Thank you all for helping me out.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
"accessibility" menus often let you use high contrast with black background.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote