Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
RsH
Enthusiast
RsH began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A and PC + RCA RCT6213W87M Tablet + FiGo telephone
Calibre_Companion does NOT download from Calibre via the USB cable

Android 4.2.2 installed today and now Calibre_Companion does NOT download from Calibre via the USB cable... It only downloads successfully via WiFi from my Windows 8 desktop Calibre. With over 6600 ebooks to reinstall this is taking forever!
RsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RsH View Post
Calibre_Companion does NOT download from Calibre via the USB cable... It only downloads successfully via WiFi from my Windows 8 desktop Calibre.
You are correct, Calibre Companion "does NOT" now nor has it ever downloaded books from Calibre via a USB cable. By design it is a wireless solution to connect your Android tablet or phone to calibre as a device.

From the opening few lines of Calibre Companion's FAQ:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
What is Calibre Companion?

Calibre Companion is three applications in one: it connects to calibre over WiFi and is detected as a device, it connects to calibre’s content server, and it is a library organizer on your device.

The first: Calibre Companion supports connecting to calibre over WiFi and be detected by calibre as a device. No other app, reader or browser, offers this level of integration with calibre.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-31-2013 at 01:38 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
As DoctorOhh said, CC has never downloaded via cable. Its main reason for existence is to replace the cable. If you purchased CC for this purpose (cable downloading), then I suggest you use the email feature in CC's help to ask for a refund.

I have never understood why someone wants thousands of books on a device but that is your decision, not mine. So ...

1) From your other post Direct connect via USB to Nexus 7 not working, I suspect that you don't mean "download" but instead mean "see". You are correct. CC does not see books in its folder(s) that it did not put there. You can ask CC to scan for books in its folders. See the CC FAQ I have books on my device that don’t show up in calibre. How do I fix this?.

However, with 6000 books on your device, scanning will probably not make you happy, especially if the books are not epubs. CC and calibre go through a dance to try to match these unknown books with books in the calibre library. This takes time and matching may not work. If your books are not epubs then scanning will take much longer than sending because CC has to send the book back to calibre for metadata analysis.

Conclusion: it is not a good idea to use the cable and CC at the same time. Pick one or the other and stick with it.

2) Your other post mentions a time delay in calibre when you send 6,000 books at once. When you send a book format, calibre copies that format to a temporary file and then (attempts to) update the metadata in that book. This takes time.

A similar time delay will be seen when connecting after transferring the books. Both CC and cable connections transfer metadata to calibre upon connection. Calibre then analyzes the metadata to do book matching and other things like cover regeneration.

3) For me, sending epubs to my device using CC takes around 1/2 second per book. For 6,000 books that would be 50 minutes. I recognize that this is not instantaneous, but it must be faster than all the messing around with cables and metadata matching and the like. Start it and go have a cup of coffee.

Your requirements (thousands of books on the device, compatibility with cabled connections, 'instantaneous' operations) may indicate that CC is not for you. As noted in the beginning of this post and assuming that you bought CC in the last week or three, we will give you a refund. Having a new unhappy user is not worth the price of the app.

Last edited by chaley; 04-01-2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: grammar
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by RsH View Post
Android 4.2.2 installed today and now Calibre_Companion does NOT download from Calibre via the USB cable... It only downloads successfully via WiFi from my Windows 8 desktop Calibre. With over 6600 ebooks to reinstall this is taking forever!
Like chaley explained earlier calibre companion does not support files being sent by usb.
But I might be able to help speed up your wifi transfer. As my wifi is in a room quite far from my pc and phone I dont get a good transfer speed between the devices. I recently found out Windows 7 and newer can act as wifi hotspots so using http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/ I am able to get a great connection between calibre and calibre companion. And transfer speeds of 10-15Mb/sec which is not very far from the effective speed of a usb 2 connection over mtp.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote