Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Rickbrit
Rickbrit began at the beginning.

Device: Vobo Vox
Kobo Vox Dead

Help, only had the Vox a few days. Switched it on and it went off immediately and now I cannot turn it back on. Pressing the switch makes no difference. What do I do.
Rickbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I would suggest you try the charger first, if you haven't already.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Rickbrit

Thanks, battery was ok but I have connected the charger. Seems to make no difference. It will not switch on.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickbrit View Post
Thanks, battery was ok but I have connected the charger. Seems to make no difference. It will not switch on.
Welcome to the club. Try letting it charge for a couple of hours. Then, if a short press of the on button doesn't turn it on, try a long press of about 15 seconds. Release, then a short press again.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Rickbrit

Ok thanks, I will try that.
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Just to be clear (I know that Wilbrich already mentioned it) try the 10+ second hold on your power button first. If the battery is fine and you are just experiencing the "sleep-of-death" then this will solve your problem. If you are in a quiet enough environment you should hear a "click" around the 7 or 8 second mark to let you know you have held it long enough. But assuming you count a little longer than 10 (I always do 12), you should be fine. (This is a "hard reset" way to turn the system off)

Then just click once (or in my case, I sometimes have to click a second time) the power button to turn the unit on again. You can tell it is starting because the green light will start to blink.

Of course, if your battery has died on you, then you'll need to charge.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Just to be clear (I know that Wilbrich already mentioned it) try the 10+ second hold on your power button first. If the battery is fine and you are just experiencing the "sleep-of-death" then this will solve your problem. If you are in a quiet enough environment you should hear a "click" around the 7 or 8 second mark to let you know you have held it long enough. But assuming you count a little longer than 10 (I always do 12), you should be fine. (This is a "hard reset" way to turn the system off)

Then just click once (or in my case, I sometimes have to click a second time) the power button to turn the unit on again. You can tell it is starting because the green light will start to blink.

Of course, if your battery has died on you, then you'll need to charge.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Off topic, Laura, but I see you are from Nova Scotia! My wife and I travelled from Toronto to take in the Cabot Trail last September on our Honda Goldwing motorcycle. What a FANTASTIC tour that was. Your province is absolutely incredible to visit. Where in the world, can you go only 20 km's down ANY road, and be immersed into another emigrated culture, or a 'flavoured' variant of the same you just left in the last town/village?!?!? We were there for two weeks, and have already decided that we need to fly back out of Hamilton, Ontario via the West Jet direct flight to Moncton...to rent a car, and take ANOTHER two weeks to savour the people, cuisine, and topography that we just didn't have time in the first two weeks of visiting! I'd move/retire to Nova Scotia in a HEARTBEAT! We ride horses (have four of 'em) and that is the 'angle' I'm trying to seduce my wife into grabbing at.... "Hon...just IMAGINE the rides we can enjoy on our way to the seashore....". Laura, do you think I even stand a chance with that tact? LOLOLOLOL! Wish me luck...

Signed, 'Ontario Land-locked.....sigh...'

P.S. When we were down there, around Digsby (sucking back fresh sea food!) I asked to join in (jam) with the local pub band, and ended up playing traditional Irish and Scottish reels on the piano and a chap's accordian. What a BLAST! What a BLAST! The best vacation I have ever had, bar none. Nova Scotia...you are very lucky to live there... The people are the best.....

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-13-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post

Off topic, Laura, but I see you are from Nova Scotia! My wife and I travelled from Toronto to take in the Cabot Trail last September on our Honda Goldwing motorcycle. What a FANTASTIC tour that was. Your province is absolutely incredible to visit. Where in the world, can you go only 20 km's down ANY road, and be immersed into another emigrated culture, or a 'flavoured' variant of the same you just left in the last town/village?!?!? We were there for two weeks, and have already decided that we need to fly back out of Hamilton, Ontario via the West Jet direct flight to Moncton...to rent a car, and take ANOTHER two weeks to savour the people, cuisine, and topography that we just didn't have time in the first two weeks of visiting! I'd move/retire to Nova Scotia in a HEARTBEAT! We ride horses (have four of 'em) and that is the 'angle' I'm trying to seduce my wife into grabbing at.... "Hon...just IMAGINE the rides we can enjoy on our way to the seashore....". Laura, do you think I even stand a chance with that tact? LOLOLOLOL! Wish me luck...

P.S. When we were down there, around Digsby (sucking back fresh sea food!) I asked to join in (jam) with the local pub band, and ended up playing traditional Irish and Scottish reels on the piano and a chap's accordian. What a BLAST! What a BLAST! The best vacation I have ever had, bar none. Nova Scotia...you are very lucky to live there... The people are the best.....
My wife and I had also done this trip some years back; we drove though. And yes, we too were in Digsby and loved it. And yes, we'd head back in a heart beat.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My wife and I had also done this trip some years back; we drove though. And yes, we too were in Digsby and loved it. And yes, we'd head back in a heart beat.
-------------------------

Not to highjack (that's bad...gulp!) this thread, but...we'll meet 'cha at the local pub. We'll all enjoy fresh sea-scallops, great drafts of cold cellar beer.... and also...bring your dancing shoes! The first drafts are on us...LOL!

Hmmm...BTW, I'm going to go to Kobo and see if they have good tour guides or books (fiction) on Nova Scotia. Going to do that right now, after a rewarm of coffee. (Large Life Smile)

Back to regular programming....

Edit: Wow...there are a ton of great tour and general reads in the Kobo bookstore on Nova Scotia. Just downloaded 10 previews. This might get expensive, LOL! Merry Christmas to myself.....

Cheers,

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-13-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Just came back from the Kobo store...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Eeep! I'm sitting here beaming with pride (I needed that today!). I'm so glad you both (Reader Paradice and PeterT) loved my little part of the world! I'm an East Coaster, born and raised and I am SO proud of it here. We welcome you back to our province any time!

So far I've managed to avoid a move to Toronto a couple of times. Here's hoping I can keep that lucky streak going...

Okay, and NOW back to regular programming.... (I couldn't NOT reply!)
Old 12-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
prsmith
prsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Eeep! I'm sitting here beaming with pride (I needed that today!). I'm so glad you both (Reader Paradice and PeterT) loved my little part of the world! I'm an East Coaster, born and raised and I am SO proud of it here. We welcome you back to our province any time!

So far I've managed to avoid a move to Toronto a couple of times. Here's hoping I can keep that lucky streak going...

Okay, and NOW back to regular programming.... (I couldn't NOT reply!)
I must reply also - thank you for your great words about our great province. I retired here in 96 after 37 years in uniform. If you come this way, we can have a Vox get together and eat way too much seafood.

On the subject of the Vox, while I am a bit of a techy at 70 years old I do not have the patience I used to have. So I am holding out on buying a Vox until I know that 95% of the time it will do what I expect of it. I also am waiting for the Transformer Prime and it will be either the Vox or the Prime - my Sweetness and Light says I can only have one of them

Whichever it is, I know that my first adventure into the Android world will be fun and hopefully not too challenging

I was one of the early explorers who used OS/2 and what I see I this list is the same adventuresome type folks who I admired so much when I was going against the flow with OS/2. Keep up the good work folks because you are taking old guys like me by the hand into a new endeavour.

Thanks for helping us,

PS
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsmith View Post
I must reply also - thank you for your great words about our great province. I retired here in 96 after 37 years in uniform. If you come this way, we can have a Vox get together and eat way too much seafood.

On the subject of the Vox, while I am a bit of a techy at 70 years old I do not have the patience I used to have. So I am holding out on buying a Vox until I know that 95% of the time it will do what I expect of it. I also am waiting for the Transformer Prime and it will be either the Vox or the Prime - my Sweetness and Light says I can only have one of them

Whichever it is, I know that my first adventure into the Android world will be fun and hopefully not too challenging

I was one of the early explorers who used OS/2 and what I see I this list is the same adventuresome type folks who I admired so much when I was going against the flow with OS/2. Keep up the good work folks because you are taking old guys like me by the hand into a new endeavour.

Thanks for helping us,

PS
----------------------------------------------------
Hi prsmith! I'm having a good afternoon, drinking coffee and hanging out with some very interesting people here....from all walks and geographical areas of Life.

I too was thinking about that Asus Trans Prime. I got a Vox, just on a hunch that being a dedicated eReader, with a little android tab on the side...it would better meet my wish of eReader first, tab/net functions second. I have not been disappointed. In fact, on another post, I joked about getting a 7 inch form factor and not realizing at the time of purchase, that it was EXACTLY what I wanted/needed. I can't tell you how many times I have been on the road, and taking a break at the OnRoute sites along the highway 401(Ontario)...that persons have come up to me and asked about that 'small tablet' I was using. Most, believe it or not...want to migrate down from an iPad 2 or another 10 inch platform, to something as comfortable to hold in the palms of your hand, as they have observed me doing. This is my first tablet 'anything' and really, as it stands now, I have no problems with any net site I visit, to have the Vox adjust and reformat the viewed page/post to a comfortable font size. Never! Of course...reading a book or mag from it is an absolute pleasure. So...for the most part, I am going to invest the $500.00 plus HST that I would have spent on a Prime...and put it into books-for-the-mind. If Kobo ports to I.C.S....than this Vox will be the platform of choice until it dies a natural death. I hope that won't be for a long time.....

Cheers!

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-13-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Laura, let me add that I have wonderful memories of countless trips to Nova Scotia to visit family over the years, with side trips to PEI, just because it's there. My father was born and raised in Nova Scotia and I can claim a blue nose too since I was born in Halifax, although raised in Ontario.

If you ever do have to move to Toronto, it looks like you claim some new friends!

By the way, thanks for mentioning that Angry Birds is on Google Chrome for those times that my iPod Touch just isn't big enough! I did enjoy the vox while I had it but the touch better fits my needs for now,

Last edited by moolyn; 12-13-2011 at 05:49 PM.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
flight to NS

Porter has flights to Halifax and you get a meal and wine/beer for free.
I use to run the Backpackers Hostel in Port Mouton halfway between Halifax and Liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post

GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #15
LauraPony
Zealot

This thread is awesome. I am simultaneous thrilled and ashamed that Nova Scotia has completely hijacked this post. (I will say, for the record, I am very interested to hear if Rickbrit got his Vox working). To PRSmith - I am also in Halifax. Great to find another local on here! And to Moolyn - you're very welcome about the Angry Birds!