Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #31
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Still no volume buttons!
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #32
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
reported over in Kindle/Forums - go to your Apps, then Store, then select the "menu" at the bottom, look on the left for My Aps - if it is highlighted then you have one or more aps that have updates available.
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I notice nothing new but an improvement in general speed of things loading.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
According to Amazon: To update your Kindle, ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network and that your battery is fully charged. Tap the Quick Settings icon in the upper right corner of your device, then tap "Sync." The software update will automatically download in the background and will be applied once download is complete and the device is asleep.

You can even download the update directly from Amazon and sideload it. It's a big update, 181 MB.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790620
This updates takes some juice! It took about 28% of my battery when done.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This updates takes some juice! It took about 28% of my battery when done.
I lucked out. I had just plugged mine in to charge when it updated.
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 02:18 AM   #36
pgnds
Patty
pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-3, Fire 1st & 5 gen 8"
I was able to download the ebooks with video and audio. I was not able to play them.
pgnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #37
morituri
Enthusiast
morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air, Kindle PW2, Kindle HD
Just updated my Fire to 6.2. In general, everything seems to move a little bit faster, but no other noticeable improvements so far.
morituri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #38
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Interestingly, for me at least, it does not appear to have affected my root of my KFire.

After I read that that'd happened to some others, I tried opening and using: Market, Gmail, Maps and Amazon Videos, and everything seems to work and be just as it was prior to the update.

Weird. (But nice! )
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #39
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
Interestingly, for me at least, it does not appear to have affected my root of my KFire.

After I read that that'd happened to some others, I tried opening and using: Market, Gmail, Maps and Amazon Videos, and everything seems to work and be just as it was prior to the update.

Weird. (But nice! )
How do you know you are still rooted? Once you install Market, etc., you don't need to maintain root for those to work.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #40
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
How do you know you are still rooted? Once you install Market, etc., you don't need to maintain root for those to work.
Good point. Especially, since my Amazon video is still working.

I guess my main point is really that the update did not affect any of the Google/Market apps for me. Most other comments I've read (saying that the update affected the rooting of their Fire) also said that they could no longer run Market, GMail, etc. and were going to have to re-root/re-install those.

All of my Google apps are still working.

Just not sure why I lucked out, but I hope it holds.
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #41
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
I notice a significant improvement in page-turning (especially in large periodical files) and from the newsstand opening a periodical shows a less jerky animation of zooming the cover page. There was definately some optimization done there--I was quite unimpressed initially with the stuttering page turns.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #42
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Fire and 3rd Gen - different email addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I was under the impression that personal docs, at least on the new Kindles and the Fire, are archived and can be synced between devices. Guess I should test it myself.
The Kindle Fire and the Kindle 3rd Gen WiFi have different email addresses assigned by Amazon for uploading personal documents.

They do NOT sync with each other.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #43
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
From what I've seen of this update, it fixes most of my complaints about some of the critical interface bugs, but doesn't do a lot to address the larger concerns or interaction design. The carousel is definitely better - it has more "friction" so it slows down more quickly and is easier to navigate as a result. I think the momentum on the scrolling in email and web pages is also better. I feel like the buttons are more responsive as well, and haven't really had any trouble with the back button at all. Page turns seem quicker and less jerky, and I haven't had any menu bars pop up while reading, which used to happen about every ten minutes for no reason.

But otherwise, not much change. Still a lot of things that could be done to improve it, and a lot of features that are missing from other Kindles that need to be on this one; page numbers, TTS, X-Ray, sharing/social functionality, etc.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #44
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Still a lot of things that could be done to improve it, and a lot of features that are missing from other Kindles that need to be on this one; page numbers, TTS, X-Ray, sharing/social functionality, etc.

The Fire supports TTS. If you were to look under Settings, More (+), Applications, All Applications you will see that TTS service is installed. Mantano and Coolreader are two Apps that I have tried and both have TTS that works on the Fire.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #45
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
The Fire supports TTS. If you were to look under Settings, More (+), Applications, All Applications you will see that TTS service is installed. Mantano and Coolreader are two Apps that I have tried and both have TTS that works on the Fire.
Fair enough, but what I'm talking about is read out loud for the Kindle reader app and news apps. I shouldn't have to load a 3rd-party app to use this, since it's really part of the Kindle feature set.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote