Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
montie
montie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
A couple of pointers please ?

Hi first may I say that I really enjoy using calibre, I have been 'ebook' reading since I bought my first psion 3 series ! quite a few years.

This post may be a bit of a ramble so sorry in advance.

SO I have a large collection of ebooks that have been converted many times over, read on many devices over the years. Calibre is now my modern choice of software for ebook managment.

Anyway I recently upgraded to prs 505 and it had an accident ! on christmas day I stood on it. So off to sony it went for repair and it has arrived back (100 quid repair charge....) The screen is much better than the original - more crisp than before and it seems to refresh faster.

That aside this has thown up an interesting dilema.

I have my entire ebook collection on an 8 gig SD card which after popping into the sony is working well.

However I have had a historical problem that occasionally the reader crashed and I loose the series information. On attempting to snyc with calibre I have lost the series information from calibre. I do admit that I have been wary of trying again as it means a lot of work sorting it again, so how do I back this collection up ?

Should I download the latest calibre and start from scratch ? Also I used my blackberry with mobireader as well (since the sony had its accident!!), so my current version of calibre was used to convert back to prc files and upload them to the blackberry. I would like to retain the ability to use both devices and the .mobi and .prc options are a little confusing to me - are they not the same format ? I use the .lrf format for sony as I am unsure of the new epub options.

Also I find sometimes conversions can be slow? but worth the wait !

I will finally be looking at putting calibre on my media server - but before I have a go at that Im hoping my minor queries here will give me advice to follow ! (is there someway of sharing the conversion load between more than one pc ?)

All the best

Mark
montie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't understand. Why would you need to start from scratch? Do you have all your ebooks in calibre as well as on the memory card? If so, just resend the books to the device from calibre and it should create all your collections again.

I am assuming you created your collections using calibre in the first place?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, Montie, and welcome to MobileRead.

I'm sure you'll find the help you need......and you only have 2 hrs to participate in our poll........enjoy the site!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
montie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't understand. Why would you need to start from scratch?

snip

I am assuming you created your collections using calibre in the first place?

BOb
Well, I am worried that I loose the collection information if the 505 crashes - I missed out one significant bit of info - I had to reinstal my pc and when i recovered the backup of of my calibre library it didnt have the series information - something i couldnt do anything about as my 505 was off for repair. I am concerned that if I sync with calibre I will loose the series information again.

I have lost the series information on serveral occasions - usually I have in the past started again with a fresh install of calibre and a fresh import of my original libraries.... as I had not much success in recovering calibre stuff - I would say that this was before calibre changed the 'database' storage method.

Hope that makes sense as i am not very technical..

Thanks for replying, I am getting the feeling that I am missing something very obvious....

Mark
Old 02-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mark,

You have to start backing up your calibre library... including the metadata.db file. This is where all the series, tags, etc info is stored. Just back up your entire calibre folder (the one that shows in the config dialog "Location of ebooks")

When ever you send to device calibre will create the collections. So, that should be your backup. If you do that rather than worry about backing up the collection files on the reader somehow.

BOb
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
montie

Thanks for the advice. As I dont have series information in calibre at the moment - will this be downloaded if I plug in my 505 and transfer the ebooks into calibre ?

Also any idea why the 505 crashes and looses collection information in the first place ?

Thanks again - that bit of info is just what I need to keep me right !!

Mark
Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
montie

Just a little update - I have actually reinstalled my laptop with ubuntu 8.1 as I got really pissed off with windows. While no expert with linux - I can find my way around...

An interesting observation is that Calibre running on the same PC but under linux seems to be about twice as fast !! which is great.

I have discovered that you cant rescue meta data from the 505 and recreate a calibre library with this information intact. Therefore as a temp. measure I have manually backed up the library. All new books will be backed up as a second library - which I have tested and works fine.

I am unsure how to raise a feature request - 'Recreate Calibre Library with metadata from Ebook Reader (505) device'

Mark
Old 02-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montie View Post
I am unsure how to raise a feature request - 'Recreate Calibre Library with metadata from Ebook Reader (505) device'

Mark
Create a ticket in the Trac system.

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/query

You will have to register a free account in order to do this.

BOb