Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
krausj
Enthusiast
krausj began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
When I put two different fonts on one page, they don't show up on the iPad.

I installed Cambro and Woodprint fonts into my epub, and created two different text classes. When I look at the xhtml document in my web browser everything looks fine, but when I look at the epub on my iPad, both texts have turned into another font. below are pictures. Anyone know what's going on?

My css setup

how it looks in web browser

how it looks on iPad

Last edited by krausj; 06-15-2013 at 08:48 AM.
krausj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Are the two fonts resident in your ipad? They probably are on your computer which is why they show up in the browser. If they are not in your ipad, then it will do its best to find something similar.

You can embed the fonts, but it bloats the file. I am not familiar with the font names, but if they are not open source, you may have to pay an arm and a leg for the right to embed them in an epub.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What are the corresponding @font entries
and as mrmikel points out $$ (for every font-face used. could be <=4.)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
For iBooks you have to include a special file for it to recognize embedded fonts. See iBooks in our wiki. I have no idea if this is your problem as you don't say what eBook reader you are using on your iPad.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by krausj View Post
I installed Cambro and Woodprint fonts into my epub, and created two different text classes. When I look at the xhtml document in my web browser everything looks fine, but when I look at the epub on my iPad, both texts have turned into another font. below are pictures. Anyone know what's going on?
You have to stop saying iPad when you mean a specific app. The iPad does work with ePub. But, you do need to learn that iPad is the device and not the app. So please don't use iPad when you mean the name of an app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
For iBooks you have to include a special file for it to recognize embedded fonts. See iBooks in our wiki. I have no idea if this is your problem as you don't say what eBook reader you are using on your iPad.

Dale
That poor partial screen grab is from iBooks.

However, if Bluefire Reader was used, then things would work as is if the fonts are properly embedded.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That poor partial screen grab is from iBooks.

However, if Bluefire Reader was used, then things would work as is if the fonts are properly embedded.
Yes, I saw from the screen grab that iBooks was the likely device. Like many users the OP equates iPad and iBooks even though they are not the same. However, I was trying to fix the problem based on his symptoms.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, I saw from the screen grab that iBooks was the likely device. Like many users the OP equates iPad and iBooks even though they are not the same. However, I was trying to fix the problem based on his symptoms.

Dale
And I was pointing out that it's a really bad idea to use iPad interchangeably with iBooks as they are not the same.

Also, given that we don't see the rest of the code (in the CSS) needed for embedding fonts, there's nothing we can do until we do.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
krausj
Enthusiast

Yep I'm using iBooks. Sorry to equate the two. So there is a way to make these fonts show up in iBooks?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Do you have the @font-face in the stylesheet? Do you have the special iBooks file in the ePUB?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
krausj
Enthusiast

I do have the @font-face in all the stylesheets and I also have the com.apple.ibooks file
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by krausj View Post
I do have the @font-face in all the stylesheets and I also have the com.apple.ibooks file
You used the word the, 2 fonts...2 @fonts
remember case sensitive file names (and extensions)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Can you show us the @font-face declaration you have in your stylesheet? We need all relevant info.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote