Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
esjones
esjones began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300SC
Angry Newbie needs help!

I just got my Reader today, and downloaded several eBooks from public library and other sites. The PDF books open and read fine, but EPUB books will not open on the Reader, though they display fine on the computer.

I've just been chatting with Sony support, and the rep is telling me that only ONE format of file can be on the Reader at a time. HUH!!?!?! Can that POSSIBLY be true? And if so, why isn't this the biggest red flag ever in every product review?

Please enlighten me, someone!

esjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I'm a big time newb, but I have three formats currently. Txt, PDF, and BBeB. Other than super huge files and resizing I have no problems.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, esjones, and congratulations on your new Reader. Below is the link to a Sony Reader Troubleshooting Guide that is being put together by MR members.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Reader_Troubleshooting_Guide

I believe what the Sony rep was trying to explain was that when loading Library books to the Reader you can only have one format. Only have the pdf or only have the epub versions of Library books on the Reader at one time.

The Sony Reader can have a mix of formats on it at the same time. The only time this is different is with Library books.

A quick question.... you said that epub would not open...

Do you have Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) installed and your Reader authorized?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
esjones

That helps (thanks!), and leads to some follow-up questions.

Does anyone know if Sony is addressing this as a problem to be fixed in a coming software release?

Who at Sony can I contact to complain?

Earl

Last edited by esjones; 01-21-2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: I read the wiki which answered one of my questions
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
alfredopp
alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
the issue only happens with secure pdf and secure epub at the same time. If you have non proprietary pdf and secure epub (or viceversa) they will coexist happy together.
alfredopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
At the moment this is a problem with DRM'd LIBRary books... Sony doesn't make the library lending software. The eReader is perfectly happy with mixed ePub, PDF, txt etc. The problem is with mixing formats borrowed from a library...

If you want to complain then I'd suggest first complaint is to producers of the library software... and then contact Sony to see if they can do anything but at the moment the only solution is to either have epub library or pdf library but not both together... You can have either ePub or pdf library with the non-library with out problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esjones View Post
That helps (thanks!), and leads to some follow-up questions.

Does anyone know if Sony is addressing this as a problem to be fixed in a coming software release?

Who at Sony can I contact to complain?

Earl
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
esjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
At the moment this is a problem with DRM'd LIBRary books... Sony doesn't make the library lending software. The eReader is perfectly happy with mixed ePub, PDF, txt etc. The problem is with mixing formats borrowed from a library...

If you want to complain then I'd suggest first complaint is to producers of the library software... and then contact Sony to see if they can do anything but at the moment the only solution is to either have epub library or pdf library but not both together... You can have either ePub or pdf library with the non-library with out problems...
I don't hold Sony completely blamleless here, though I admit I do not know the nature of the conflict/incompatibility problem.

I say this because both DRM'd PDF and ePub books play well together in both Adobe Digital Editions AND the Reader Library PC software... it is only after transfer to the Reader portable device that the problem manifests itself.

Sony MAY be totally out of control here, I agree, but the symptoms of the problem suggest otherwise. I may be wrong. It has happened before.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
It is a known issue and both Sony and Adobe are aware of it.

Typically DRM'd PDF and ePub will work on the device at the same time it is just ebooks that are sourced from the Public Library that cause the problem. It has been speculated that the problem lies with the time limit that is encoded into the books.

Hopefully Sony will release an update for this but have not said anything to date.

Last edited by grooks; 01-21-2010 at 12:29 PM.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote