Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #91
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Another hat in the ring for multiple choice voting. That would enable a much more realistic/fair result imo, better than the "all or nothing" approach we use now.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #92
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Another hat in the ring for multiple choice voting. That would enable a much more realistic/fair result imo, better than the "all or nothing" approach we use now.
Yep!

I too would love to see multiple choice voting.

In fact, Tom, can we PLEASE test/try it with this first vote?? Just to see what kind of results we get?

Last edited by Nyssa; 11-13-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #93
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I agree. Multiple choice voting is worth trying.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #94
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I wouldn't mind try multiple choice voting, as long as there is some sort of weighting.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If we were to have multiple choice voting, unless there is a tie for first place, we would not need a run-off vote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #96
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I wouldn't mind try multiple choice voting, as long as there is some sort of weighting.
Not sure what you mean or how this would work. Do you mean that the voting would be further complicated by each person expressing an order of preference among two or more choices? That idea has been brought up before and is beyond the capability of the current polling software here.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #97
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I would love multiple voting! Let's say three votes per person. No weighting necessary in my opinion. If I have a particular clear favourite I don't use all my votes, I just vote for that one.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #98
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I would love multiple voting! Let's say three votes per person. No weighting necessary in my opinion. If I have a particular clear favourite I don't use all my votes, I just vote for that one.
I like this idea.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #99
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If we were to have multiple choice voting, unless there is a tie for first place, we would not need a run-off vote.
Agree!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #100
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Not sure what you mean or how this would work. Do you mean that the voting would be further complicated by each person expressing an order of preference among two or more choices? That idea has been brought up before and is beyond the capability of the current polling software here.
Yes. I want to be able to specify which one I want to win, and which I would like second, and so on down the line.

I also like open polling as it makes the polls more lively. I dislike the anticipation of waiting 10 days to see the outcome.

And if we are going to have closed voting, shouldn't there be a ban on discussing how people voted before the poll closes.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #101
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Multiple choice voting would eliminate many of these arguments.

With multiple choice voting, one can vote for all the books one wants to read the most. So there'd be no worry about choosing between voting for one's absolute favourite or voting strategically.

It would also give people more choice and lead to more votes and larger percentages for each book, and can lead to more people participating.

I've seen support for it from various people in different threads, and I think it would solve many of this club's problems that create these arguments.

I would propose to have a vote on multiple choice vs single choice before a vote on open vs closed, since open vs closed is contentious no matter which wins, and many of those contention points can be solved by a multiple choice vs single choice vote. After that, an open vs closed vote could go smoother with less argument between those who favour open and those who favour closed.
Nice. I'd like to try that.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes. I want to be able to specify which one I want to win, and which I would like second, and so on down the line.
Not possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #103
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
And if we are going to have closed voting, shouldn't there be a ban on discussing how people voted before the poll closes.
Logically there should! But that would certainly take away even more of the fun! The discussions while voting used to be so interesting before the open/closed disussion infected them. Not only did the arguing itself ruin things, it also "throttled" other discussions.
Of course I realize this might be a good thing for me, because my TBR is way too long already, and many books there are non-winneres from the book club that caught my attention thanks to the discussions. That doesn't happen as often now.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #104
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
The software doesn't allow this, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

As far as I know, the software doesn't allow "select 3 choices;" people are on the honor system for that. (However, mods could throw out all votes by anyone who selects 4 or more; that would require more work on their part, but probably not be required often.)

-----
I'm torn on open-vs-closed voting.

On the one hand, if the vote is closed, people vote for what they want to read & discuss, not what they think is likely to win. On the other, as the keeper of the list, if the vote is open, I know which book won sooner.

No strong opinions either way.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #105
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I also vote 2nd chance
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote