Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
sleepy6553
Connoisseur
sleepy6553 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Will Calibre work to removed DRM from MP3?

Just wondered if I can download the library's Overdrive MP3 audiobooks and have Calibre and its tools do its magic and remove the DRM on audiobooks for my Kindle? Are library audiobooks even DRM protected (I don't even know)? Anyone have any experience doing this? I wouldn't mind having a book or two loaded on my Kindle for when I am driving so I could listen. Thanks.
sleepy6553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Calibre doesn't have any mp3 related features, and DRM stripping is not part of Calibre's code-base.

I believe library MP3 audiobooks don't have any DRM anyway.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
sleepy6553
Connoisseur

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Some library audio downloads are MP3 - they are DRM free. Most audiobook downloads are WMA. I don't believe the Kindle suprts WMA, and Calibre doesn't know anything about audio books. Kindle DOES support .AA books (Audible.com) natively, but you won't get those for free from your library. I usually keep one Audible book on my Kindle, just in case. But never more because Audible books are much larger than eBooks.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
sleepy6553
Connoisseur

That's what I was thinking. I just wanted one just in case I was driving a long distance and would like to listen to a book. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
there is no such thing as a DRM protected MP3. to protect audio you'd have to use a microsoft or apple format - wma, mp4.. that supports DRM

burn to blank CD (as MP3) , then play in car / van / truck whatever is an easy bypass that works for most audio files.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
there is no such thing as a DRM protected MP3. to protect audio you'd have to use a microsoft or apple format - wma, mp4.. that supports DRM

burn to blank CD (as MP3) , then play in car / van / truck whatever is an easy bypass that works for most audio files.
Only really modern cars that have CD players, will play MP3 CD's (My 2001 Nissan Sentra CD will not. My 1994 Ford F350 LST only plays Cassette tapes Neither has an external Audio input.)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Only really modern cars that have CD players, will play MP3 CD's (My 2001 Nissan Sentra CD will not. My 1994 Ford F350 LST only plays Cassette tapes Neither has an external Audio input.)
depends how you define "really modern" - I quit driving 10 years ago but CD players in car were pretty standard back then ( in the UK). anyway the point was just that the burn to CD trick defeats most audio protection scheme. you could burn in audio cd format, no need for mp3.

off topic.....

cassette tape DRM never really worked out! - there was some tech overlay designed to mess up tape to tape copies ( VHS has that also ) but most commercial tapes were such god-awful quality it was smarter to buy the vinyl, tape it yourself, but the master vinyl away somewhere safe.... then if the tape ripped you just made a new one.
you did of course have the hassle of some albums being 47 mins long & you only had a 45 minute per side C90 tape....

I remember when computer games also came on tape ( 6 mins to load a game) and you'd mess about with tape to tape copies so as to not risk the expensive original bought copy in your cheapo tape player - with sinclair ZX computers, the cheapest mono only tape players were the most reliable for game loading... £13 for a game when £13 would buy 2 full tanks of petrol...

the world moves on but the beat-the-DRM game is ever-popular....

back to the thread

Audible uses apple DRM I think.. I tried to find a free sample to audition on my Kindle but gave up looking - there's meant to be a speed control option with audible recordings on Kindle.

I never could get the hang of "listening" to a book. a made-for-radio play is maybe OK but a book being read by someone, even by the author just puts me to sleep! - better for you than pills, I guess :-)

Last edited by cybmole; 03-30-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Author reading
Audible has some great 'Professional', Voice Actors that do well. Almost as good as the old-time 'Radio Plays' that used a cast of actors.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
The Author reading
Audible has some great 'Professional', Voice Actors that do well. Almost as good as the old-time 'Radio Plays' that used a cast of actors.
I would be very interested in hearing a (legal) free sample.
does such a thing exist ?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I would be very interested in hearing a (legal) free sample.
does such a thing exist ?
http://www.audible.com
Select Browse at the top.
titles have a 'sample' button
Old 03-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
http://www.audible.com
Select Browse at the top.
titles have a 'sample' button
apparently so simple , but I want to place a sample onto Kindle & that does not seem possible ! I want to audition the speed controls on Kindle. the sample buttons just stream playback to PC

PS I was clicking the big "listen to a best seller" box & getting the "choose your payment plan" screen every time.

Last edited by cybmole; 03-31-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
apparently so simple , but I want to place a sample onto Kindle & that does not seem possible ! I want to audition the speed controls on Kindle. the sample buttons just stream playback to PC

PS I was clicking the big "listen to a best seller" box & getting the "choose your payment plan" screen every time.
Under each title (browse page) there is a combination speaker icon and play button.
BTW I use VLC on my systems and I 'did' try speed control. IMHO the actors have a good pacing. This is NOT TTS
Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
I used to use audible.com and occasionally they would have free books--if you are interested you might get on their mailing list for any promotions they might have. Failing that, I think your cheapest bet would be to look at their "tv/radio" section--you can buy one episode of some radio programs--some for as cheap as $0.95. That way, at least you wouldn't have to pay very much to get something to try.

And I must say I am glad I can use Overdrive and my local library for audible books. Some of those prices on audible.com are horrible!

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote