Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
ANico
ANico began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 903
Question wirelessly transferring files (PocketBook 903)

Is there a simple way to transfer files to the PocketBook wirelessly (preferably via ssh/scp)?

I've been doing some research, but being a newbie, most of what I found was way over my head...

Thanks!

Last edited by ANico; 01-21-2011 at 07:25 AM.
ANico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
Hello Anico and a warm welcome to the forum,
I presume you don't mean bluetooth but wlan file transfers.
there was a similar request in the German forum and so I wrote a program to do this. This app is called webdown in this thread, for example post #35.
I wrote this to the specific needs which were mentioned during the discussion there. So it may or may not be of a help to you.
One of the preconditions for example was that the user had easy access to a webserver.

I personally transfer all files wirelessly to my pocketbook. I don't use webdown but I use the remote shell program I wrote because most of the time it is just one or two files to transfer and not a whole lot of them.

Which operating system do you use? If you use linux there is a simple command to access the current folder over http using python (make also sure iptables is allowing incoming connections).
Code:
python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8000
Then I log in to the pocketbook, change into the desired folder and just type at the prompt:
Code:
wget http://192.168.0.100:8000/myfile.epub
Another way would be to point the browser directly to the correct url instead of using the remote shell access.

Maybe if you could post some more details, like how many files you want to transfer at a time, which operating system you use and how frequently you expect you would use the program I might be able to write a program which suits your needs.

Last edited by review; 01-21-2011 at 08:27 AM.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
ANico
ANico began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 903
Thanks for the quick response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
I presume you don't mean bluetooth but wlan file transfers.
That's right.

Quote:
there was a similar request in the German forum and so I wrote a program to do this. This app is called webdown in this thread, for example post #35.
Great, will have a look (don't have my PocketBook handy right now).

Quote:
I personally transfer all files wirelessly to my pocketbook. I don't use webdown but I use the remote shell program I wrote because most of the time it is just one or two files to transfer and not a whole lot of them.
That sounds intriguing - shell access was what I was hoping for (though I was imagining I might just ssh into the device), so I'll definitely give that a try!

Quote:
Which operating system do you use? If you use linux there is a simple command to access the current folder over http using python (make also sure iptables is allowing incoming connections).
Code:
python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8000
Then I log in to the pocketbook, change into the desired folder and just type at the prompt:
Code:
Another way would be to point the browser directly to the correct url instead of using the remote shell access.
Excellent - being an Ubuntu user, this would probably be the easiest way for me.

Quote:
Maybe if you could post some more details, like how many files you want to transfer at a time, which operating system you use and how frequently you expect you would use the program I might be able to write a program which suits your needs.
Thanks for the offer, but I think the above gives me plenty to go on for now. I can't anticipate my own usage patterns yet, so will report back once I've tried some of the options for a while.
ANico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

ok, let me know if you have any question. if you're familiar with shell scripting then you should also be encouraged to have a look at the files in a text editor. Webdown is particular useful to speed up the process if you have to transfer a lot of files.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
I've just sent files via Bluetooth. It's a little clumsy to go into settings to enable it, but trivial to send files over once it's on.

Edit: Pardon the clueless reply, just went by the subject.. as far as remote wlan access goes, review's script is the best option I know at the moment. A little extra shell knowledge can allow more complicated transfers (for instance, combine tar and nc to transfer whole directories).

There's a telnetd in pocketbook-free which could be compiled for the new models.

Last edited by LoneTech; 01-21-2011 at 06:04 PM.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTech View Post
I've just sent files via Bluetooth. It's a little clumsy to go into settings to enable it, but trivial to send files over once it's on.
yep, I am just finding out how clumsy that is
I have managed to send files from the PB903 to my laptop, but not the otehr way round (I get the error message "FTP service not found on target device" - my laptop runs Win 7 64 bits).
The only thing I set up in the bluetooth connections were the PIN (which I made up) and the instruction to connect via my laptop (but I put nothing in APN, username, passwrod and proxy server).
Any suggestions gratefully received
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
You need to use "send file" (obex push), not directory browsing (obex ftp). I don't know much about Windows, but try dropping the file directly onto the device, or right clicking.

There's also a second place to enable bluetooth, if you go into key mapping and enable "last open books" on the power button - that window has a bunch more buttons than just the book list.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTech View Post
You need to use "send file" (obex push), not directory browsing (obex ftp). I don't know much about Windows, but try dropping the file directly onto the device, or right clicking.

There's also a second place to enable bluetooth, if you go into key mapping and enable "last open books" on the power button - that window has a bunch more buttons than just the book list.
Thanks a million: I did try the Drag adn drop, and it did work - well, only once, now I have problems conencting but I'll just have to fiddle around until I convince my laptop to comply
Once is enough to prove it works, the rest is me!

thanks a lot, and also for the tip on the last open book (I had discovered that when playing around with review's annotation app).
Old 02-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
paola
Wizard

a little update - found on the russian forum.
In order to transfer files between your computer and the device via bluetooth, just do as follows:
1) first of all, make sure your computer recognises the device (go in configuration\connectivity\bluetooth access and select visible, tehn follow the instructions on your computer)
2) to send a file from the device to the computer: go into the library, select the file you want to send, give a long press, and when the little menu appears select file\send to: at this point the device will list the devices available for connection, you select your laptop, and the transfer is done.

3) to send a file from your computer to the device, simply select the file(s) you want to send, right click (if using windows - I do not know about other operating systems), then select "send\bluetooth" from the context menu: a window will pop up asking you to select the bluetooth device you want to send the file to (mind you, this one does not always work).
Old 02-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
review
Addict

Thank you Paola for this excellent summary. I trust it will be most helpful for many.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
It may be interesting for you that we are working on full support of the OPDS protocol for our browsers, thus enabling the Calibre fantastic server to be used by our devices for wireless transfer of files.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
onesome
Connoisseur
onesome began at the beginning.

Device: GalaxyTab 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
It may be interesting for you that we are working on full support of the OPDS protocol for our browsers, thus enabling the Calibre fantastic server to be used by our devices for wireless transfer of files.
It would be great if you do this! Don't blame us but for now we are very reserved about promises taken by your company. Just prove me wrong.
onesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
that would be G R E A T (but don't forget that there are still more basic issues with the browser )
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
igormorgado
Reader
igormorgado began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
Quote:
Code:
How do you LOGIN (i mean a shell) in pocketbook? is this a vanilla feature? or some hacked firmware?
igormorgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
review
Addict

Quote:
... I use the remote shell program I wrote because most of the time it is just one or two files to transfer and not a whole lot of them.
There are two ways to get a shell to the pocketbook: either poterm or my rsh.app (see link in the original message quoted above).
Just today I noticed that poterm didn't work for me in the most recent firmware but I never used it any way as it is much more handy to do it straight on the PC.
This rsh.app allows you to login to the pocketbook from your computer just like you would telnet or ssh into another machine.
Installation instructions are in the post quoted above.