Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #31
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
It depends on the audience for each of those series. Depending on how different your series are, you may be in a situation where a pseudonym makes sense.

Religion is one of those sensitive issues. Making a clear division between your religious and non-religious work could be of use to both audiences. At the same time, Roald Dahl wrote children's books and very twisted, very adult fiction under the same name. (Of course, in his day, they were shelved in completely different places, so that helped.)

As someone who is publishing some stories that may turn off the readers of other stories, here are my thoughts:

It's going to be a mess until I get enough of each kind of story out there to satisfy both sets of readers. I didn't think about this that much before I committed myself to both series. But I think I accidentally stumbled on the right approach.

If I'd thought, I might have said "Oh, do the whole series on this so that audience is satisfied, THEN do the other style." But if I'd done that, the first audience might have been unhappy with the change in my direction, and abandoned me. So I'd still have to be writing more on that first group anyway. That method may work if you have one kind of fiction you write a lot more than others - you could establish it, and then start trickling out other kinds.

But for me, I think it works to just let my bookshelves be a mess until I have all the pieces established.

Regardless of how you schedule them, though: IMHO, if you're fast, fast is good (as long as the quality is fine). You can slow down later, but right now, you need a satisfying number of books for each audience.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #32
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
A satisfying number of books for each audience? lol. I doubt that'd be a problem. ^_^;;
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #33
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 05:13 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #34
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
YES! I try to forget a third one even existed. Although, it had a great premise. There were a whole bunch of...liberties taken by SOL. Actually, I don't think they were SOL anymore, they were probably activision by then. And by activision, i mean the devil.

The second was an interesting experiment, and a decent story told. But, I'm still partial to the first one. Nothing beats Mark Hamil as Detective Mosley. Who would have guessed? Or even...Tim Curry as Gabe

Seriously, Jane Jensen/GK is probably one of the reasons I do this silly little thing called writing.

And when I tried to emulate the GK1 box art for my latest cover, I failed miserably but lived in nostalgia for just a moment.

Not trying to derail the thread, but did you see that the devil finally gave an all clear for "King's Quest:" The Silver Lining?

Last edited by jaxx6166; 07-09-2010 at 07:40 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote