Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #331
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
"Huh ingesting thought."

Hey! Spit that thought out right now, it's MINE!
Hahahaha! I didn't even see that. Stupid iPad. I'm back to my laptop now though so I'll just find things interesting instead of eaten them from now on, I promise

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 03-25-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #332
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
This is exactly what's happening. Remember my crap 3 day battery life? Well, I've been sleeping my Glo outside of its sleeve since Wednesday and reading more than 5 hours a day (it is now Sunday) and the battery is at 84%.
At the risk of raising your blood-pressure again, could I suggest that you try it with the cover back on for one more session - if it goes back to the same behaviour, we <i>know</i> we are on the right track. (Just wanting to eliminate the possibility that it is something to do with where you went away.)
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #333
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the proof:

Code:
18 Mar 2013 10:18	100%	epub, sleep	
18 Mar 2013 16:26	100%	on, reading+light	6h 8m
18 Mar 2013 17:06	100%	sleep                 	0h 40m
19 Mar 2013 10:40	100%	on, sleep             	17h 34m
19 Mar 2013 20:31	100%	on, sleep             	9h 51m
20 Mar 2013 09:12	100%	on, sleep             	12h 41m
21 Mar 2013 17:43	100%	on, reading+light	32h 31m
21 Mar 2013 18:58	100%	sleep                 	1h 15m
21 Mar 2013 23:24	100%	on, reading+light	4h 26m
21 Mar 2013 23:39	100%	sleep                 	0h 15m
22 Mar 2013 16:42	100%	on                     	17h 3m
22 Mar 2013 16:43	99%	reading + light     	0h 1m
22 Mar 2013 19:23	97%	sleep                 	2h 40m
22 Mar 2013 20:17	97%	on, reading+light	0h 54m
22 Mar 2013 21:59	94%	sleep                 	1h 42m
22 Mar 2013 22:07	94%	on, reading+light	0h 8m
23 Mar 2013 00:08	94%	stop reading        	2h 1m
23 Mar 2013 00:09	93%	sleep                 	0h 1m
23 Mar 2013 11:52	93%	on, reading+light	11h 43m
23 Mar 2013 12:12	92%	sleep                 	0h 20m
23 Mar 2013 12:20	92%	on, reading+light	0h 8m
23 Mar 2013 13:12	92%	sleep                 	0h 52m
23 Mar 2013 13:36	92%	on, reading+light	0h 24m
23 Mar 2013 19:41	90%	sleep                 	6h 5m
23 Mar 2013 20:16	90%	on, reading+light	0h 35m
24 Mar 2013 00:39	87%	finish book, home screen, sleep	4h 23m
24 Mar 2013 11:52	87%	on, look around in library	11h 13m
24 Mar 2013 11:56	84%	sleep, wait, put Glo in sleeve	0h 4m
25 Mar 2013 10:09	84%	on, sleep            	22h 13m
Okay, so it wasn't exactly 5 hours sleeping a day, but almost, on average. Total reading time is 20h 13m. From 100% to 84% went with steps of 0.1% decrease per hour (if you average it all out). Using this rate, and assuming linear battery life (which it isn't), I'd get 1,049.06 hours out of the battery !! That's 43.7 days. Quite a bit more than the poorly 3.3 days or whatever it was when I used to sleep my Glo in its sleeve*.

As for TechniSol's delicious idea, see the last two lines of my data: My Glo's been asleep and in its sleeve for the last -almost- 24 hours. I put the Glo to sleep, then waited a bit (could have even been an hour, I've no idea), and then put it in its sleeve safe for travelling home. No battery drain even though I'm completely certain the sleeve was touching the screen during travelling in my bag. So, IR beams switch off if not interrupted during switch off...?

*How rude! It's only $10 there while I bought it for more than twice as much!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #334
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
At the risk of raising your blood-pressure again, could I suggest that you try it with the cover back on for one more session - if it goes back to the same behaviour, we <i>know</i> we are on the right track. (Just wanting to eliminate the possibility that it is something to do with where you went away.)
Careful! You might get me admitted to hospital!

But yes, I suppose that is the most scientific route
Old 03-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #335
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Here's the proof:

[code]
[snip]

Okay, so it wasn't exactly 5 hours sleeping a day, but almost, on average. Total reading time is 20h 13m. From 100% to 84% went with steps of 0.1% decrease per hour (if you average it all out). Using this rate, and assuming linear battery life (which it isn't), I'd get 1,049.06 hours out of the battery !! That's 43.7 days. Quite a bit more than the poorly 3.3 days or whatever it was when I used to sleep my Glo in its sleeve*.

As for TechniSol's delicious idea, see the last two lines of my data: My Glo's been asleep and in its sleeve for the last -almost- 24 hours. I put the Glo to sleep, then waited a bit (could have even been an hour, I've no idea), and then put it in its sleeve safe for travelling home. No battery drain even though I'm completely certain the sleeve was touching the screen during travelling in my bag. So, IR beams switch off if not interrupted during switch off...?
They look better figures, and I think we are almost at the point of narrowing this down. It is certainly good to know that there isn't a major problem with firmware or hardware, and I can start my cunning plan to get a Glo
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #336
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:

But yes, I suppose that is the most scientific route
I wouldn't want to do that! It does seem unfair to suggest it after you've had a realxing time away, though ...

I just occured to me that I had a worry about a case pressing on the screen when I got mine for the Touch, and after lots of research, I went for this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006I2NEBQ. The flap sits well away from the screen when closed, and it functions as an efficient stand as well.

Last edited by Peakcrew; 03-25-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #337
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Hate to break this to you - but you are already there
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #338
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Hate to break this to you - but you are already there
Well, inside the asylum anyway (acknowledgement to Douglas Adams, of course!)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #339
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Well, inside the asylum anyway (acknowledgement to Douglas Adams, of course!)

In a cell adjoining to us ..
Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #340
Mrs_Often
Wizard

You're all so meeeeeaan
Old 03-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #341
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
You're all so meeeeeaan
No meanness intended. If you're in the asylum, so are the rest of us ... and I defy anyone to put a convincing case that we aren't
Old 03-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #342
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊

Quote:
You're all so meeeeeaan
Ta
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #343
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, I defy anyone hearabouts from telling the attendants from the inmates...

Has anyone other than the Mrs. been testing to see if leaving the Glo out of the case with nothing interrupting the IR prior to shutdown solves their issues?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #344
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE US AWAY, HA, HA,
THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE US AWAY, HEE, HEE,
TO THE FUNNY FARM....

Sorry, I couldn't resist any longer
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #345
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote