Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
How do I change "Pending" titles so I don't get them again - wirelessly?

Let me explain:

I've already downloaded these titles and they're on my Kindle 2.

I'll be travelling to the U.S. in a couple of days, and when I turn my wireless on (in the U.S.) I don't want these titles (that I already have on my Kindle 2), to be duplicated by wireless delivery.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-21-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
If they're on your Kindle, I don't think it'll redownload them. I think I bought a book while I was travelling in Fiji with my US Kindle, downloaded via USB, and didn't have any issues upon my return to the US.

Even if it does, I'm confident you won't end up with two copies, so if you want to be safe, make sure you're plugged in when you turn wireless on so that if it does download fresh copies to replace the old you won't kill the battery indexing the books for search.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps, but on the "Manage My Kindle," there are 10 or so titles that say "Pending."

So...???

Don
Old 12-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I recall early on in the K1 days, there was a question like this and the answer was that you'd just get two copies when you turned your Kindle on. Thre was quite a bit of griping from the Kindle owners in places like Montana, where Whispernet does not reach. I do believe that there was a fix on one of the firmware updates that made it so that the book doesn't download if it's already there.

Another fix (not helpful in this exact situation) is to buy books and send them to your computer, rather than the Kindle, at which point it is not marked "pending" and you wouldn't have to worry about it.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I recall early on in the K1 days, there was a question like this and the answer was that you'd just get two copies when you turned your Kindle on. Thre was quite a bit of griping from the Kindle owners in places like Montana, where Whispernet does not reach. I do believe that there was a fix on one of the firmware updates that made it so that the book doesn't download if it's already there.

Another fix (not helpful in this exact situation) is to buy books and send them to your computer, rather than the Kindle, at which point it is not marked "pending" and you wouldn't have to worry about it.

This was before "Kindle PC," so ALL my books were sent (and continue to be sent) to my computer for transfer to my Kindle 2 by USB.

Now that I have "Kindle PC" loaded onto my computer, I still choose to have titles sent to my computer. Interestingly, only about 10 titles are showing "Pending," whereas the other 40-50 books I've bought do not show this.

I'm in Peru, remember.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-21-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Maybe if you went back and sent the book to KPC, it would clear the queue?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
fordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Maybe if you went back and sent the book to KPC, it would clear the queue?
No, this would just add it to a new queue.

I just purchased Cisco's CCIE Routing & Switching Exam Guide, which weighs in at a whopping 50MB. Because of it's size, and because I'm at work where I don't get a 3G signal inside, I ended up downloading it to my PC and transfered it via USB. It showed up as pending on my account page when I put the Kindle in USB drive mode, and pending for a bit afterwards. It did end up clearing the pending state and there's only one copy on my Kindle. So either it doesn't doesn't push the books pending if they're already on the Kindle, or it pushes them, and the Kindle throws them away.

So if the books are on your Kindle, I suspect when you turn on the Kindle's wireless in the US, it'll clear the pending flags without any duplicates appearing.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordan View Post
No, this would just add it to a new queue.

I just purchased Cisco's CCIE Routing & Switching Exam Guide, which weighs in at a whopping 50MB. Because of it's size, and because I'm at work where I don't get a 3G signal inside, I ended up downloading it to my PC and transfered it via USB. It showed up as pending on my account page when I put the Kindle in USB drive mode, and pending for a bit afterwards. It did end up clearing the pending state and there's only one copy on my Kindle. So either it doesn't doesn't push the books pending if they're already on the Kindle, or it pushes them, and the Kindle throws them away.

So if the books are on your Kindle, I suspect when you turn on the Kindle's wireless in the US, it'll clear the pending flags without any duplicates appearing.
I hope you're right, fordan.

Another issue - and one that WILL be cleared up - is the "Most Recent Read," which doesn't work since I had to do a reset. Once I turn on whispernet, that'll work again....until, of course, I have to do another reset while in Peru. That's one reason (I have two reasons) that I'll be buying the International version as my back-up Kindle.)

Thanks, everyone.

Don
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
If they're on your Kindle, I don't think it'll redownload them. I think I bought a book while I was travelling in Fiji with my US Kindle, downloaded via USB, and didn't have any issues upon my return to the US.

Even if it does, I'm confident you won't end up with two copies, so if you want to be safe, make sure you're plugged in when you turn wireless on so that if it does download fresh copies to replace the old you won't kill the battery indexing the books for search.

Yes, they will. And you'll have two copies of them. At least it has happened here.

I don't know that you can change the "Pending" but why worry. Just let them download and then delete the dups.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-22-2009 at 08:05 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
fordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes, they will. And you'll have two copies of them. At least it has happened here.
Recently? Someone else was mentioning that this behavior changed with a firmware update. I don't believe I saw it with my Kindle 2 back when I traveled overseas in May.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Recently? Someone else was mentioning that this behavior changed with a firmware update. I don't believe I saw it with my Kindle 2 back when I traveled overseas in May.

I'll test it again, but yeah. in the last couple of weeks.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote