Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
The New Book Buying Realities

The New Book Buying Realities

Interesting stats...

Quote:
Seniors are embracing e-readers and e-books:
* Of Kindle owners, people 50 or older are the biggest adopters, followed by 18-34 year olds
* 35-49 year olds who read e-books prefer doing it on their iPhones
* But most people (48%) are still using their computers or laptops to read e-books
* E-book sales grew 183% among seniors aged 65+ and 174% among seniors aged 55-65
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Without delving too deeply into the methodology, these numbers appear sound enough. Here I was thinking I was in the minority reading from a PC (10" laptop), and it turns out I'm the norm I keep saying it will be small laptops and big smartphones that blow up the ebook market, and these numbers are consistent with my thesis, though we can't say much conclusively until ebooks are more like 15-20% of sales, rather than 1.5%.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Without delving too deeply into the methodology, these numbers appear sound enough. Here I was thinking I was in the minority reading from a PC (10" laptop), and it turns out I'm the norm I keep saying it will be small laptops and big smartphones that blow up the ebook market, and these numbers are consistent with my thesis, though we can't say much conclusively until ebooks are more like 15-20% of sales, rather than 1.5%.
You can take photographs with your cell phone and your web cam. But when you **really** want to take a photo, you use your camera. Same with ebooks.....
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
You can take photographs with your cell phone and your web cam. But when you **really** want to take a photo, you use your camera. Same with ebooks.....
Everyone's threshold for a comfortable reading experience will be different, I suppose. I wouldn't dream of reading novels on my PC LCD or my phone, but this hardcover-sized laptop with sharp matte screen and hotkeys for brightness? It meets and transcends my qualifications. I've been fully expecting someone to develop LCDs with optimized 'reader' modes for netbooks, and if the 3Qi screens pan out, they'll beat my expectations by 2 years. People are just more likely to delve into ebooks on a device they're already carrying around, and as those devices become more lightweight, low-power and easy on the eyes, dedicated ebook devices are going to look a lot less special. If they get cheaper faster than they lose ground to small laptops/big phones, maybe they'll maintain a niche market, but ebooks in general are never getting anywhere as long as people think there's a $200+ cover charge.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Everyone's threshold for a comfortable reading experience will be different, I suppose.
Exactly. I think it's quite telling that a majority of Kindle owners are in the 50+ range. From computer monitors to cellphones to portable gaming devices, a lot of the younger generation nowadays spend hours viewing LCD screens at length. I'm pretty sure my 4-year-old niece can find her way around the computer better than my mom. If kids were inclined to read, it probably wouldn't be much of a hardship for them to read from an LCD as opposed to an e-ink device. Sure, an e-ink screen is nicer, but for a lot of people, that doesn't justify the $200+ price tag.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Exactly. I think it's quite telling that a majority of Kindle owners are in the 50+ range. From computer monitors to cellphones to portable gaming devices, a lot of the younger generation nowadays spend hours viewing LCD screens at length. I'm pretty sure my 4-year-old niece can find her way around the computer better than my mom. If kids were inclined to read, it probably wouldn't be much of a hardship for them to read from an LCD as opposed to an e-ink device. Sure, an e-ink screen is nicer, but for a lot of people, that doesn't justify the $200+ price tag.
For me, the price of ebook readers is prohibitive, yes, but it's also just one more gadget than I'm willing to carry. I also think they've lost the power management edge already to netbooks that cost less than a DX, and will soon lose the comfort edge to more flexible phone and laptop displays. Now, give me a <$200 reader that stays charged from onboard solar like a calculator, and we can talk.