Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Where to purchase Ebooks in the UK

To all you UK sony enthusiasts out there I am looking for an alternative source for my Ebooks, for the Sony Reader.

I used to get them online from Waterstones, but like many people I am boycotting them at the moment (See Facebook and the British Press).

Can anyone recommend anywhere else?

Thanks

Mike
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
richacol
richacol began at the beginning.

Device: SE P910i
I've used WH Smith's ebook site, not a bad selection
richacol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
I used to get them online from Waterstones, but like many people I am boycotting them at the moment (See Facebook and the British Press).
I'd like to think that I read "the British Press" as much as the next chap, but I'm afraid that I don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about! Could you elaborate?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ill have a look at WHSMITHS, cheers Richacol. And for reference HarryT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7725790.stm
Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see. Thank you. Not a reason that I'd choose to "boycot" a shop for, but each to their own and all that.

As far as eBook stores go, it's best to avoid EU book stores because they have to charge you VAT (eBooks are subject to VAT, unlike paper books). Many people buy books in Microsoft Reader format from stores like FictionWise or BooksOnBoard - they can very easily be converted to Sony format using "ConvertLit" and "Calibre".
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
mjhudston
All round good egg

WHen you have been on the recieving end of that particular "Christian Group" as I have, then you might think differently. They are not nice people. But that aside, I will look at Fiction Wise and Books on Board as well as WHSMITHS.

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
No, they don't seem very nice, but on the other hand, as the author deliberately emailed various groups in an attempt to stir up controversy (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7730396.stm) then Waterstones may well have a point in being concerned about the event.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
There's a much better reason to boycott the Waterstones ebook store: it's a complete rip off!
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
No, they don't seem very nice, but on the other hand, as the author deliberately emailed various groups in an attempt to stir up controversy (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7730396.stm) then Waterstones may well have a point in being concerned about the event.
They have not stopped selling the book. All they did, from what I can tell from the article, is to cancel a "launch event" at which there was a very real concern about public disorder. That seems like a responsible action for any company to take to protect their customers, and no reason to "boycot" the business.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:12 AM   #10
nobicus
nobicus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Back to the original question - it really does depend on what you like to read. Try all the usual sites where free books are offered and see if any are your type. I have paid for five books only since I purchased my Sony a few months ago but I already have over 220 books on the SD card. Don't ignore those books that you were forced to read as child and somehow feel that you will not like them. I am reading Tom Sawyer again, the last time being over 50 years ago at school, and I find myself laughing out loud. If you like science fiction be careful if you go to Baen Books. He gives free books and if you read them and get hooked on the author or the series you have to buy the rest. Oh Calamity!!!
You will find most sites very much cheaper than either Waterstones or Smiths. I have just acquired all three books in Philip Pullman's Northern Lights series (The Golden Compass) for $11.97 - about £6.50 for the three. My daughter has just paid nearly £10 each for the three paperbacks. I expect the Sony Reader to pay for itself with this kind of saving many times over.
A little wrinkle that has been suggested on this forum, although I have yet to try it, is to install the UK eBook library on your main computer and then download the US Sony eBook Library software from the US Bookstore and install this on your laptop (or in my case my wife's laptop) and then register with the US site. This should give access to both Waterstones in the UK and Sony Bookstore in the US. I am not sure that it will be worth the bother because of all the other digital booksellers there are on the Internet.
You should also learn to use Calibre and the routine called mobidedrm2 which is available for Python25 which removes the digital lock on mobipocket files allowing them to be converted by Calibre to Sony book format. This routine is probably unlawful in the UK (like converting DVDs to all region from region 2) although I believe that the police would have to prove "mens rea" to gain a prosecution.
But the world is your oyster. Try some internet searches for "ebooks" and the like and to paraphrase Bruce Forsyth "Keep reading!!"
nobicus is offline   Reply With Quote