Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #46
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Oh, Bujold is wonderful. If you're reading the SF, the Vorkosigan books, they've got to be read in order, because one book builds so wonderfully on the previous one. The exception is the Komarr/A Civil Campaign series, because she wrote Komarr specifically to be a point of entry into the series. Start with Shards of Honor/Barrayar, also known as Cordelia's Honor - really the two books are part of one whole story line.

Bujold is the only author that I reflexively buy in paper (for collection), eformat, and audio.

If you're into fantasy, i think Bujold's best books are Curse of Chalion and its sequel, Paladin of Souls. Each book can be read on its own though.

The Sharing Knife books are really one book in four volumes. Book 2 is the weakest, i think, but they're all well worth reading.

(have I gushed enough? if not, i can go on for hours about the wonderfulness that is Lois Bujold.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I would have said Sharing Knife was more a pair of pairs. It's also much heavier on the romance side (not unlike Shards of Honor) and might not be to everyone's taste.

I like a bit of Iain M Banks and Alastair Reynolds, myself, and they are both still producing excellent stuff.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #48
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sharing Knife is a pair of pairs, but you can't really read the second pair without the first pair. And the second pair is soooo wonderful. yeah, it's a bit romance-y, but that shouldn't put anyone off who isn't totally romance-phobic.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #49
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Niven+Barnes Dreampark trilogy
And yes Vorkosigan is :wave:
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Avoid anything by James P. Hogan that isn't "Inherit the Stars", "The Gentle Giants of Ganymed", and "Giants' Star". Turns out that he wasn't all that great after that.
YMMV, but I rather like THRICE UPON A TIME, PROTEUS OPERATION, VOYAGE FROM YESTERYEAR, and several others. Coversely, the latter books of the MINERVAN EXPERIMENT (ENTOVERSE, etc) strike me as taking a good thing too far.
(shrug)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #51
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I'll try a couple, thanks for the recommendations. I've got a Cherryh book on my wish list (don't think I've read any in a decade or so), I'm familiar with Larry Niven (can't remember if I've read any of his or not). I'll check out the others.
Also, David Brin.
His FIVE GALAXIES cycle is interesting.
I'd start with THE PRACTICE EFFECT, though. (It's a nonfantasy fantasy.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Practice_Effect

For Niven+Pournelle, THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE is their acknowledged masterpiece. I'm also partial to their OATH OF FEALTY and INFERNO. FOOTFALL AND LUCIFER'S HAMMER were written more along the lines of NYT "bestseller" fiction and are somewhat dated by now but still good reads.

Niven alone? RINGWORLD is highly acclaimed but I like the SMOKE RING more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smoke_Ring_(novel)

For Bujold, I'd suggest CETAGANDA since it is a standalone that doesn't give much away of the earlier titles. If you're willing to commit to the whole series (it can be rewarding) then, yes; CORDELIA'S HONOR will introduce you to the millieau a generation earlier than the bulk of the series.

There is plenty of good classic "idea" SF if you're willing to dig a bit.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #52
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Oh, Bujold is wonderful. If you're reading the SF, the Vorkosigan books, they've got to be read in order
Well, I think they should be read in copyright order but some people prefer to read them in internal chronological order. So there is really no obvious correct order to read them in.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #53
BeccaPrice
Wizard

well, there is, to an extent. Memory doesn't make much sense without Mirror Dance, which doesn't make much sense without Brothers in Arms. Komarr and A Civil Campaign really have to be read together, and Cryoburn should be read last, I think, if only for the ending.

but I agree, Cetaganda stands alone, pretty much.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #54
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
well, there is, to an extent. Memory doesn't make much sense without Mirror Dance, which doesn't make much sense without Brothers in Arms. Komarr and A Civil Campaign really have to be read together, and Cryoburn should be read last, I think, if only for the ending.

but I agree, Cetaganda stands alone, pretty much.
Oh, definitely. I really think that the correct order is copyright order but I can accept that reading them in internal chronological order is OK also. But no other order seems sensible to me.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #55
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
and Cryoburn should be read last, I think, if only for the ending.
Absolutely.
Cryoburn is 99% standalone but that extra 1% and the ending depend on the rest of the series.

KOMARR and A CIVIL CAMPAIGN (aka MILES IN LOVE) are simply a delight. I reread them at least once a year.
(Got me to sample Georgette Heyer.)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #56
BeccaPrice
Wizard

If you read them in copyright order, I don't think you'll get the Shards of Honor / Barrayar duology - wasn't Barrayar written somewhat later? and the two really need to be read together... if only to see how Lois progressed as a writer.

I will say that, arguably, Memory is the best in the lot. But I love them all (except that the first part of Mirror Dance can be so incredibly painful)
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #57
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
+1 for memory as the best.
For everyone going for the cryo-cd: It isn't on the CD; order it its damn worth it.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #58
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
+1 for memory as the best.
For everyone going for the cryo-cd: It isn't on the CD; order it its damn worth it.
Another +1 for Memory being the best book in the Vorkosigan series. THE defining book in the series when Miles chooses between being Admiral Naismith or Lord Vorkosigan.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
Another +1 for Memory being the best book in the Vorkosigan series. THE defining book in the series when Miles chooses between being Admiral Naismith or Lord Vorkosigan.
"Miles hits 30; 30 hits back."
Pretty good "murder" mystery.
One of the best in the series but I really favor A CIVIL CAMPAIGN as the best, and CETAGANDA as very slightly better than MEMORY. (And then there is the heart-wrenching MOUNTAINS OF MOURNING--free at the BAEN LIBRARY.)
Bujold is just consistently great; intriguing ideas dramatically explored with memorable characters and situations. What's not to like? Textbook SF.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-03-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #60
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I actually think that Curse of Chalion and Paladin of souls are as good as or better than Memory in a lot of ways - Hallowed Hunt not so much, but it grows on me when I re-read it, in spite of the ambiguous ending. On the other hand, Memory has the theme of what is identity, which theme gets me every time (Double Star by Heinlein is a favorite, as is PTerry's Going Postal)