Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
RKEP71
RKEP71 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Spacing between words

On e-readers these days when a word dosent fit on the line it moves down a line and the previous lines spacing adjusts to fit text across the full width of the page. The readers do this automatically.

Is there a way to do this in Sigil with the last line of a paragraph so all lines spread the width of the page?
RKEP71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
That's done in CSS, with this in your html,
Code:
<p class="justify">Some text</p>
and this in your CSS,
Code:
.justify{text-align:justify}

Last edited by Keroberos; 04-08-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: too early in the morning to type
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKEP71 View Post
On e-readers these days when a word dosent fit on the line it moves down a line and the previous lines spacing adjusts to fit text across the full width of the page. The readers do this automatically.

Is there a way to do this in Sigil with the last line of a paragraph so all lines spread the width of the page?
If you're asking if there's a way to guarantee that entire paragraphs could be perfectly justified—with every, single line extending margin-to-margin and never resulting in a shorter, left-justified final line... I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you're asking if there's a way to guarantee that entire paragraphs could be perfectly justified—with every, single line extending margin-to-margin and never resulting in a shorter, left-justified final line... I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
I guarantee that the answer is no, and moreover, even if you could do it, it would look heinous; it would emulate ye olden "rivers of white" that plagued us all before the advent of automatic hyphenation back in the early days of word-processing. And, for that matter, badly-typed items, before the advent of word-processing.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I guarantee that the answer is no, and moreover, even if you could do it, it would look heinous; it would emulate ye olden "rivers of white" that plagued us all before the advent of automatic hyphenation back in the early days of word-processing. And, for that matter, badly-typed items, before the advent of word-processing.

HTH,
Hitch
They don't make space bands that wide for Linotypes
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Agreed. I realize I did waffle a bit in my response, but only because my "Nope. You can't do that." rubber stamp is in the shop, and I was forced to improvise.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In CSS3 there is text-align-last. Maybe some future ePub 3 reader supports it...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Some day in a world far away, there will be enough power in e readers to repetitively reformat the entire book so that the justification will be perfect throughout. Someday..sigh.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Some day in a world far away, there will be enough power in e readers to repetitively reformat the entire book so that the justification will be perfect throughout. Someday..sigh.
Ick.
I like my paragraphs to have a little character. Something to make them not look exactly like the previous and the next one. Sometimes, I switch to ragged-right when reading simply because I get tired of staring at screen after screen of sterile, justified text.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ick.
I like my paragraphs to have a little character. Something to make them not look exactly like the previous and the next one. Sometimes, I switch to ragged-right when reading simply because I get tired of staring at screen after screen of sterile, justified text.
Exactly!

I do try and style a series to be all the same look.

But I like to play with Chapter headings, Initial paragraphs and scene breaks
for variety on various titles
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Ick.
Actually, the thought of reading/viewing page after page of blocked text, stretching from margin-to-margin, with, what, a line of white between each, so you know it's a new para, (because even just using first-line indent alone would still have, IMHO, serious massing/volume issues) kinda makes me want to hurl. That's fine for manuals, but for novels, or anything I'm going to have to read, sequentially and in a sitting that will be a block of time... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Yeah, I kinda like the plain-old, plain old, first-line-indent, occasionally justified, sometimes not, text for "bulk" reading. I have lost track of how many manuscripts I get in here from authors who use block paragraphs, with a line of horizontal whitespace between, and I find it horribly unconducive to ease of reading. JMHO, natch.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote