Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Do the letters wear off on the K3 Graphite?

I have read a post at Amazon where someone complained of this after 4 months. Has anyone else seen this? It could influence my color choice.

Thanks
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
The letters on mine aren't wearing, but the 5-way is showing signs of wear. I know I have seen several complaints about that though. I haven't heard one way or the other on the white ones, maybe the sample size is smaller?
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Many people have seen this on the graphite; it doesn't seem to be a problem on the white. Cracks seem to appear more often on that color as well. None of this is scientific, of course; no way to really know the base rate of the problem based upon complaints on various forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
I have read a post at Amazon where someone complained of this after 4 months. Has anyone else seen this? It could influence my color choice.

Last edited by bwaldron; 05-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Thanks guys. I don't keep current on Kindle so this helps quite a bit. Too bad, graphite looks sharp, but I don't want that kind of trouble.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Some letter on "Home" and "Back" wear off after one month, just partially, and for some reason the disease didn't spread further and other letters are brand new. So, after initial comments like "#"*!"*!* Amazon!" I concluded it's not a big deal.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Yes, but I don't think they wear off. To begin with the baby poop brown letters don't have enough contrast on the graphite background. I think they fade because I rarely ever use the keyboard.

The number of people complaining or asking about the problem would indicate it's common. Kindle will replace the K3 no questions asked or they will give you credit to buy a NoKey skin. I went with the skin and got a black with white letters and like it a lot.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Mine (purchased in December) is showing wear on the 5-way and the menu key. I'm actually getting ready to buy a NoKey skin for that reason. I wanted a skin anyway, it's just a matter of choosing one. I can be indecisive about these things.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Thanks guys. I don't keep current on Kindle so this helps quite a bit. Too bad, graphite looks sharp, but I don't want that kind of trouble.
get a skin?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Yup, pick a skin that you fancy and enjoy the graphite.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, but I don't think they wear off. To begin with the baby poop brown letters don't have enough contrast on the graphite background. I think they fade because I rarely ever use the keyboard.

The number of people complaining or asking about the problem would indicate it's common. Kindle will replace the K3 no questions asked or they will give you credit to buy a NoKey skin. I went with the skin and got a black with white letters and like it a lot.
Does Amazon really provide a credit for the Nokey type skin? I also think they contrast for the gray keys is poor at night, even with the Amazon lighted case. The letters could have been larger. I had to change my password because I could not make out the letters.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
chas0039
Sceptic

Thanks for the ideas, but a skin won't fit with the case I want. If the graphite models are poorly made and unreadable in dim light, I will get the other model. I buy more for function as opposed to form.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No wear on the letters, but if I look really closely I can see wear beginning on the right-arrow on the 5-way directional pad. I hadn't noticed till I read this thread and really looked.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool a suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
No wear on the letters, but if I look really closely I can see wear beginning on the right-arrow on the 5-way directional pad. I hadn't noticed till I read this thread and really looked.
i've a suggestion, press the arrow bars on the 5-way with your thumbnail.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Mungo
Mungo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Thanks for the NoKey tip guys. My old eyes have trouble making out the tiny keyboard so i ordered a high contrast design and they ship to Europe so i'm happy bunny.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I have a "shipped the very first day" Kindle and my Home and Sym buttons show definite wearing. It has never bothered me enough to call and complain, although I've heard that Amazon has replaced for this issue.

I was under the impression that they made a change in the plastic of the buttons somewhere and the issue has largely disappeared. I don't see many people complaining about it much now.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote