Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #136
rford
rford began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajreed View Post
No luck after installation. "cannot open shared object file: libzip.zo.1 no such file or directory.
That is found in the libzip1 package. if you are running on amd_64 you will have to download the i386 package and extract it to /lib32

I found that Ubuntu 10.04 recognizes the Kobo as an Owen oscilloscope when it is in upgrade mode. ???

Also the upgrade would not work when plugged into a usb2 port, only when plugged into a usb1 hub.
rford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #137
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
How is this software licensed?
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #138
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
How is this software licensed?
A mixture of licenses. There was a thread about tha months ago and kobo posted the source for a number of things. The app itself is closed source.
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #139
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Although it appears somewhere on the website, the license info is also toward the end of the user guide.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #140
tajreed
Enthusiast
tajreed began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks to rford

That did it. Works fine now.
tajreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #141
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
Linux app

I have tried the earlier linux version of the desktop app.. recently I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 the version I have does not work at all... the files are installed , but nothing happens when I click on the icon start the program .. where can I get an updated version

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #142
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH View Post
I have tried the earlier linux version of the desktop app.. recently I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 the version I have does not work at all... the files are installed , but nothing happens when I click on the icon start the program .. where can I get an updated version

Harry
Same d/l link as before (posted one page back too).
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #143
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
A mixture of licenses. There was a thread about tha months ago and kobo posted the source for a number of things. The app itself is closed source.
I think you probably mean to say that the program is non-free software. That said however, I have no desire to use it or even see it released out into the void. The last thing our community needs is yet another piece of freedom-restricting software. I'll stick with Calibre on my GNU/Linux box.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #144
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I think you probably mean to say that the program is non-free software. That said however, I have no desire to use it or even see it released out into the void. The last thing our community needs is yet another piece of freedom-restricting software. I'll stick with Calibre on my GNU/Linux box.
I'm not sure how you can say that this software is freedom-restricting.

NOTHING out there says that EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION FOR LINUX needs source supplied!

Attitudes like that are frankly idiotic!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #145
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
No, what I meant to say was that the software is proprietary but "closed source" was easier to type on my iPad (an evil device).

I don't need a lecture on FOSS. I have a copy of The Cathedral and the Bazaar, Free as in Freedom and Free Software, Free Society: Selected Essays of Richard M. Stallman (which is autographed by, and I bought in person from, RMS himself).

While others argue about the terms, I have contributed to the success of Free Software in my own small way. My code is out there if you care to look...

Kobo has done Linux user's a favour by releasing a Linux version of the desktop which allows syncing book marks across devices. As I stand in line in a grocery store finishing a book on my iPhone that I started on my Kobo I could really care less which license made it possible.

RMS might want his books back but I still respect everything he stands for even as I ignore some of it.

Tim
Old 12-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #146
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not sure how you can say that this software is freedom-restricting.
Software that is distributed via licenses that restrict the user's ability to modify, use for any purpose, and redistribute is freedom-restricting. Of course, in order to understand this, you first need to understand what is meant by the use of the word, freedom. You may want to study up on that before spewing your uneducated blurbs all over public forums. You can find the information readily available on either the FSF or GNU websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
NOTHING out there says that EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION FOR LINUX needs source supplied!
Who says, you?

I think I'm in a much better position to determine what I want and what I need.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #147
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Quote:
No, what I meant to say was that the software is proprietary but "closed source" was easier to type on my iPad (an evil device).
No, what you *meant* to say is that the software is non-free. There's no need to use the market friendly term "open source" that was created by Eric Raymond in order to trick decision makers into using Free Software.

Quote:
I don't need a lecture on FOSS. I have a copy of The Cathedral and the Bazaar, Free as in Freedom and Free Software, Free Society: Selected Essays of Richard M. Stallman (which is autographed by, and I bought in person from, RMS himself).
Good. Then please show some respect and use the proper terminology when discussing this very important aspect of our lives. Having read Richard's work, you know our choice of words is critical in terms of the ideas we convey. Why on earth would anyone consciously choose to use the watered down market friendly term "open source" that was created in order to shift the focus from ethics over to pragmatism?

Quote:
While others argue about the terms, I have contributed to the success of Free Software in my own small way. My code is out there if you care to look...
I don't know what you're getting defensive about or why you feel you have something to prove. You could put all the code out there you want to but if your language is teaching people to simply value pragmatic side effects that are sometimes achieved via Free Software (better and cheaper), then you're really doing the movement no favors. We don't need people to value features, security, and pricepoints since these things are 100% subjective and subject to marketing budgets. Any vendor lockin company can provide these things. What they can not do however, is get away with attacking my freedoms 0-3 if I am first aware of them, and secondly, prepared to defend them. This of course, all starts with education.

Quote:
Kobo has done Linux user's a favour by releasing a Linux version of the desktop which allows syncing book marks across devices. As I stand in line in a grocery store finishing a book on my iPhone that I started on my Kobo I could really care less which license made it possible.
Nobody is doing anybody any favors by subjecting our society to yet anther piece of freedom-restricting bits. I'm sorry that you (despite all your exposure) have no respect for your own freedoms but that does not give you the right to disrespect mine or anyone else's in this community.

Quote:
RMS might want his books back but I still respect everything he stands for even as I ignore some of it.
I'm not sure why you'd think Richard would want his books back. Anyway, it sounds like you really could care less about freedoms 0-3. As a sysadmin, I come across many a "technical" person who likes to show how informed they are by throwing names like Richard Stallman and Eric Raymond. If you can't grasp such a simple thing as a firm appreciation for something that is as black and white as freedom, then I'm personally not impressed at all because I know a person like you values convenience far more.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #148
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Same d/l link as before (posted one page back too).

3D0g

Thanks for the info , did an install and still not luck not any error messages ,here is my install info

/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i kobo-desktop.deb
(Reading database ... 187365 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kobo-desktop 1.8-1 (using kobo-desktop.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kobo-desktop ...
Setting up kobo-desktop (1.8-1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_CA.utf8.cache...
Processing triggers for python-support ...

What do you suggest I do now ??? the files were dated Dec 14

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #149
timlegge
Addict

@windowsrefund I used to be a lot like you but I became tired of caring for everyone else. After a while people would just roll their eyes when I talked about the importance of free software. People stop asking for your opinion on things when they already know your answer and you get less chances to influence things.

As I get older I no longer give a damn what other people do as long as I don't have to fix their computer. If you have the energy and passion to try to make people who don't understand, and likely won't care once you explain it, the importance of free software then go ahead.

All the best.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #150
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

@timlegge,

Again, I'm sorry you do not value your freedom. I'm also sorry that you appear to dislike working with technology as much as you do. Of course, If I traded my freedom away for a little convenience, I would probably develop the same attitude over time and lash out at others who force me to look at my own lack of conviction. In other words, I understand. That said, I'm also confident that the road you've chosen will lead you back to the good fight eventually. Given enough time, you'll get burned (again) just as you have before. It always happens when empowerment is traded away.

Anyway, let's get this thead back on track. If anyone from Kobo's development team is reading this, I just want to say that I have no interest in any wares that are distributed under a non FSF approved license. I run GNU/Linux because it is a Free Software operating system that respects my freedom to use for any purpose, modify, and redistribute the software. I have no intention of bastardizing my system by installing software that does not respect these same freedoms. When Kobo development releases software that respects these freedoms via a suitable license, I'll be more than happy to evaluate it and weigh in on the potential technical and pragmatic benefits.

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software