Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #61
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
DrDln, please stop gravedigging.

As far as pricing the same as paperbooks, well, they're a company whose goal is to make money, and they will make more money doing it that way.

Plus, per unit, it is arguably not that much more expensive for them to make and ship paperbooks than ebooks. Most of the cost is in the editing, lay out, etc. I've heard estimates of it costing somewhere in the range of 70 cents to $1 for printing, storage, and shipping of a paper book.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #62
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post

As far as pricing the same as paperbooks, well, they're a company whose goal is to make money, and they will make more money doing it that way.

Plus, per unit, it is arguably not that much more expensive for them to make and ship paperbooks than ebooks. Most of the cost is in the editing, lay out, etc. I've heard estimates of it costing somewhere in the range of 70 cents to $1 for printing, storage, and shipping of a paper book.
Publishers have been using the excuse of "rising paper prices" for ages to justify price hikes.

So, were they lying then or are they lying now?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Publishers have been using the excuse of "rising paper prices" for ages to justify price hikes.

I hear tell there's an electron shortage; which would explain the high cost of digital content.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #64
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I hear tell there's an electron shortage; which would explain the high cost of digital content.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:56 AM   #65
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
to say nothing of the per quark use tax!!
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #66
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
We pay more because eBooks are displayed with acid-free photons.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #67
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
There is no single price point for an ebook.

I think of the movie theaters, where it costs the same to go see Win Win as The Adventures of Pluto Nash. One was cheap to make and excellent, the other was an expensive piece of crap. However you weigh those values, it cost exactly the same to buy a ticket. Other films being offered might be cheap pieces of crap and expensive masterpieces. All cost the same to see.

Since movie theaters can't charge according to the quality of a movie (which can't be determined objectively...some people would enjoy Pluto Nash over Win Win)...they charge a uniform price and it's take-it-or-leave-it. Consumers find their price point in other venues: DVD, PPV, NetFlix, streaming, over-the-air for free, etc.

With ebooks, the price is fluid, more like a stock offering. Books from unknown writers have a lower value that may actually go up in time as they pass the initial bargain-offering phase, and books from bestselling authors start high and (I would think) should go down over time after the initial gotta-have-it-now readers have been "gouged." (That's a pretty strong term, but it makes my point.)

The factor that varies is "when" not "where" you buy it. New release, major author: Hardback price (however you define that after discounts). When the paperback comes out: the ebook price goes down. When the paperback is out of print and the only alternative is the used book store: the price takes its final plunge.

It seems kind of obvious to me. I don't know why publishers are having such a hard time with it.

With B&N demanding a 60% discount on new bestselling hardbacks, why shouldn't the ebook price be 65-70% off? If nothing else, the publisher isn't going to have to wait 6-9 months or more to be paid! (At least, I don't think they do. If Amazon can pay a little guy like me every month, surely they cut monthly checks to the big boys.)

Last edited by J. Strnad; 05-01-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #68
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:

Can't they lie both then and now?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #69
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I don't believe that for a second. We heard for ages about how high the physicals costs of book were. Now that the physical costs have been eliminated for ebooks they suddenly aren't so significant after all. Nope, not buying it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #70
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I don't believe that for a second. We heard for ages about how high the physicals costs of book were.
This is usually claimed. But I do not remember that. So does anybody have any reference that shows that this is true?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #71
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This is usually claimed. But I do not remember that. So does anybody have any reference that shows that this is true?
I do, from reading Writer's Digest way back in the day. I don't have any references off hand, but I'll pass some along if I find them.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #72
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Quote:
Can't they lie both then and now?

No, wait, it's not "lying" if it's done to protect profits. It's, um, "PR." Or maybe "creative accounting interpretation." Or "Stockholm syndrome."

No, I'm confused. That's what the authors have.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #73
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Another issue with ebooks is that these are easy to publish and there is no quality control. But ebooks are certainly the future. They are not going away.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #74
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:

I respect your belief.

If it costs the same, then why the printed books give 10% or less royalty, where as ebooks give 70%. Simply, because once it is uploaded then there is hardly any cost such as printing and shipping.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With gas prices rising, that makes pBooks even more expensive to ship. eBooks are becoming cheaper since they use no gas to ship.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote