Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-14-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
[Macintosh] I'm wireless!!!

Hey All,

Finally got my netgear MA111 in the mail today. From research on the web I found out that the d-link driver works on mac osx before purchasing. By the way this is a usb 802.11b adaptor. I'm running it on a bronze g3 powerbook 400 mhz 192mb memory osx 10.3.7. So I installed the d-link driver, restarted my machine and connected the adaptor. It worked for like 5 minutes. I was like what in the hell is going on. So I checked online and to make a long story short I found a solution. The problem was that the adaptor was getting too hot connected directly to a usb port on my mac right now it is a bit warm but is not increasing in temperature. What was suggested from the site that I went to for help was to use the 5ft. long dongle that came with the usb adaptor, and to set the power to Maximum Power Save or to Power Save (this is from the wifi menu in the menu bar). So I'm still on right now and it's running fine. Sitting on the coach with no wires is cool on my laptop listening to shared itunes from my desktop, and surfing the web.

What is funny is that I was only expecting to see only my network here in my poor ass neighborhood but there is a linksys network up too. I connected but the signal is not that strong.

The site that I went to get help was http://www.randyrants.com/2003/08/test_drive_dlin.html . Hope this helps others.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
That's cool, zire! Next you should consider buying a WiFi-capable PDA You wouldn't want to miss it ever again!
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've been thinking about adding a wireless card myself. The Sandisk WiFi+256meg SD card seems to be <$100 and it appears to be a very low power card so it might not drain the battery too much.

I've got a wireless network with my cd collection converted to mp3s on a hard drive. (Actually it's only about 50% converted, but I'm working on it.) I can listen to songs via a neat USB FM transmitter right now (it looks to the computer like it's a USB speaker set so it's easy), but I would like to be able to use my PDA as a remote control to pick songs, pause, skip, etc.

If anyone does that or other neat stuff with wireless, be sure to start a thread and let us know how it goes.

Enjoy your new setup Zire!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
One member of the community sent me the palmOne Wi-Fi card about a month ago. After some fumbling with the flaky drivers on my Tungsten T3 (another community donation to the cause), I managed to get it working. Its just a wifi card (no onboard RAM), and only supports 802.11b.

The main problem with it, is that it takes my T3 from fully-charged to 0% battery in about 10 minutes of use. If I try to synchronize over wireless, it will drain the Palm's battery before the sync completes.

Until/unless they fix that, I'm not going to bank on external wireless on Palm being any sort of success.

But it does work, and works well for quickly checking my mail or sending files back and forth from my FreeBSD and Linux machines.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Thanks...was having problems with wap/wep had an open network all this time until I was able to check my connection wirelessly and others as well. I was also able to get on other people's network too which is bad. I set up wap/wep and could not use the internet while it was enabled. I switched off something in my wifi preferences on my mac and now I have no trouble with the internet as you can see . It's great I have to check and see if I can connect through starbucks . Love it though.
Advert
Old 01-15-2005, 01:22 AM   #6
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Sounds great zire. How are you liking the range and speed? I would love to get wireless going but I'll hold off until I get around to buying a laptop. I really just have my eMac and PC right now.

Still have my eye on an iBook though.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
Zire
Fanatic

Gatton,

The speed and range works for me. I got a wireless adaptor for my powerbook because I wanted to be able to sit in my living room and compute. It is also because a wireless option came with the modem that my ISP gave me.

An iBook is a good choice.