Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
mhenders
mhenders began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Lost table of contents when converting from EPUB to MOBI

Hi everybody,

I'm a first-time e-book self-publisher. My source content is in a Pages document, on the Macintosh.

When I export my document from Pages to ePub, and open that in iBooks on the iPad, it properly exposes the document's Table of Contents.

When I use Kindle Previewer app to convert the ePub to MOBI, the Previewer (when displaying the resulting document) claims that the document is missing a Table of Contents. (Same thing if I load the document in Kindle on the iPad.)

What is strange, though, is that clicking "NCX View" in the Kindle Previewer results in a screen that *does* contain the table of contents listing, and linked to the correct chapters.

I've Googled, and can't figure out why my TOC is being lost in the translation from ePub to MOBI. If you have any ideas, I would very appreciate your help.

Thanks so much in advance.

-- Matt
mhenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
You'll need to manually create an inline TOC (i.e. an .html page with links to each chapter) and add a toc guide item to the opf file.
If you convert your epub with Calibre it'll automatically add both. However, Amazon might reject your mobi file.

Last edited by Doitsu; 07-18-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
mhenders
mhenders began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Doitsu,

Thanks for the reply. Couple of follow up questions:

1. The source for the MOBI conversion is an EPUB document. I know how to get to the contents of the EPUB file. Would I add the TOC HTML documents there, alongside all the other HTML files?

2. Does the TOC document need to have a particular name?

3. Would you happen to be able to point me to an HTML template document for the table of contents?

4. Would you happen to be able to point me to a reference for the syntax and content of the guide entry in the OPF file?

Thanks so much in advance.
mhenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Please search on the forum. This question has been asked at least 5 times in the last month already. Please note, the search option is at the top on the right.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Please search on the forum. This question has been asked at least 5 times in the last month already. Please note, the search option is at the top on the right.
And also check the MOBI forum for more.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
epub, mobi, toc