Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #166
jswinden
Nameless Being

I get it to sync between nookcolor (rooted), iPad1, and Kindle, but it won't work on my iPod touch 4G running iOS 4.3.3. I think that is a known issue though.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #167
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I get it to sync between nookcolor (rooted), iPad1, and Kindle, but it won't work on my iPod touch 4G running iOS 4.3.3. I think that is a known issue though.
You may need a third party software to load the book to the iPod touch. I believe iTunes loads the books to the Kindle\documents folder and they must be loaded to the Kindle\Library\eBooks folder for this to work. I use a software called DiskAid. Works very well. It's not free but was only $9.99.

HTH,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #168
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
There is a freeware application called iPhone Explorer that accomplishes the same thing as Disk Aid. It's a lot less stable, however. Sometimes one needs to restart it a time or two, but with patience, it gets the job done.

Larry
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #169
jswinden
Nameless Being

Oops, my bad. I didn't word that properly. I have no problems sideloading ebooks to the iPt4. The issue is using Whispersync to sync farthest page read for sideloaded books. I've read that this used to work with iPt4 but after one of the latest iOS firmware updates it broke.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #170
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmittell View Post
There is a freeware application called iPhone Explorer that accomplishes the same thing as Disk Aid. It's a lot less stable, however. Sometimes one needs to restart it a time or two, but with patience, it gets the job done.

Larry
I couldn't get iPhone Explorer to work for me. DiskAid is working fine though.

Carol
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #171
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Oops, my bad. I didn't word that properly. I have no problems sideloading ebooks to the iPt4. The issue is using Whispersync to sync farthest page read for sideloaded books. I've read that this used to work with iPt4 but after one of the latest iOS firmware updates it broke.
How are you sideloading the books onto your iPod? Are you using iTunes? For it to work they must be loaded into the 'Library\eBooks' folder. This is why I use DiskAid. To be able to access this folder.

I do find that sometimes I have to hit the sync button when opening the book on my iPhone to get the 'sync to the furthest location' message.

HTH
Carol
Old 06-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #172
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
How are you sideloading the books onto your iPod? Are you using iTunes? For it to work they must be loaded into the 'Library\eBooks' folder. This is why I use DiskAid. To be able to access this folder.

I do find that sometimes I have to hit the sync button when opening the book on my iPhone to get the 'sync to the furthest location' message.

HTH
Carol
I'm using iTunes to sync the books to the Kindle app for both my iPad and my iPod touch. This works for the iPad, but not the iPod apparently. I do have DiskAid so I will try to place the file where you said and see if that works.

EDIT: Cool, that worked! And it is a lot quicker and easier than using iTunes.

Thanks!

Last edited by jswinden; 06-14-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #173
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
I'm using iTunes to sync the books to the Kindle app for both my iPad and my iPod touch. This works for the iPad, but not the iPod apparently. I do have DiskAid so I will try to place the file where you said and see if that works.

EDIT: Cool, that worked! And it is a lot quicker and easier than using iTunes.

Thanks!
Glad it worked for you.

Carol
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #174
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Thanks for the help. I used iphone explorer on an epub converted to mobi with calibre and could not get the ipad to sync with my android phone or my kindle. In fairness I may have confused amazon because I also changed the asin and the other exth record using mobi2mobi first.I then deleted and started over with the mobi using calibre but it wont sync I shall try another book soon. I also have kindle v2.7 for the ipad, but I dont know if that would matter or not.

EDIT: FWIW After playing around with this some more, the only book that doesnt properly sync is the one where I manually went in and jacked with the ASIN and other settings

Last edited by volwrath; 06-21-2011 at 08:57 AM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #175
maxpower
maxpower began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
@maxpower

Go to "Tools," "Options" in K4PC and make sure you have the option checked for "Annotations Backup."

The exact wording of that option is; "Automatically back up your device annotations and last page read at Amazon." At least that's how it's worded on v1.4.1.

If that is unchecked, K4PC will still pull the Last Page Read that other devices are sending to Amazon, but it won't push its own Last Page Read for the other devices to pull.
That still doesn't work for me. I can sync my furthest read page between my iPad and Kindle, and I can sync it TO kindle for PC.. I just can't sync my last read page from Kindle for PC to any other device. I have Kindle for PC v1.5.0...

Any other ideas?
maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #176
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
That still doesn't work for me. I can sync my furthest read page between my iPad and Kindle, and I can sync it TO kindle for PC.. I just can't sync my last read page from Kindle for PC to any other device. I have Kindle for PC v1.5.0...
If you're saying that that box IS checked and everything works except pushing sync data FROM K4PC to the other devices, then I'm truly kind of stumped. The fact that K4PC seems to be pulling sync data should rule out firewall issues, but that would be my only wild-assed guess at this point.

Can you verify that the same exact concept works exactly as should with normal Amazon purchases? Or does the same problem exist?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #177
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Firewalls can be independent for in- vs. out-going traffic, so it isn't unfeasible (although admittedly unusual) that your firewall is blocking the sync being pushed out from your K4PC. I'm not sure that would be the problem, but it may be relatively easy to check just in case.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #178
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can you verify that the same exact concept works exactly as should with normal Amazon purchases? Or does the same problem exist?
Actually, that is more important (and easier) to check than a firewall issue.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #179
maxpower
maxpower began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yeah, it is very strange. I am trying to sync with my work PC, so I guess it could be a firewall issue. I will try with an Amazon book and see if that works.
maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #180
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
I just wanted to post to say thank you to everyone who worked on this!! I'm loving that I can now sync my non-amazon books on my kindle and apps. I had trouble with a couple ASIN numbers and used the 10 digit ISBN number and it worked perfectly.

Thank you again!
Nicole
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, sideloading, sync "furthest page read", whispernet, whispersync