Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
matthend
matthend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Jailbroken and Custom ScreenSaver killed it!

I got a K3 for christmas and I LOVE IT. I Jailbrike it and installed custom screensavers from one of the members photobucket. (Awesome pictures BTW) About 3 days after that, it froze the top half of the screen as the screensaver dsiappears the top half of the screen gets stuck on the screensaver. I already got a replacement, but I am leery of jailbreaking and customizing now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!
Matt
matthend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
GoversAU
Enthusiast
GoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthend View Post
I got a K3 for christmas .. I Jailbrike it and installed custom screensavers ....I already got a replacement..
If Amazon gave you a replacement after jailbreaking a new one, you should consider yourself lucky.
GoversAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
matthend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoversAU View Post
If Amazon gave you a replacement after jailbreaking a new one, you should consider yourself lucky.
I thought that although they did not recommend it, it did not void your warranty? Has anyone else had any kind of similar experience with theirs after using custom screensavers?

btw, mods if this is in the wrong section, plz feel free to move it
Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Did you by any chance take pictures of what your screen looked like? I'm really wondering if you had a broken screen which had nothing to do with the screensaver hack.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I've had the hack for screensaver installed for about 2 months and have not had any problems.

I did have the odd overlap of partial images that apparently is caused by not having the images sized 600x800. That caused about 1/3 of the image to be at the top and then repeated lower on the page. Or a prior image showing a small portion - all fixed when the images where the proper size.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthend View Post
I thought that although they did not recommend it, it did not void your warranty? Has anyone else had any kind of similar experience with theirs after using custom screensavers?

btw, mods if this is in the wrong section, plz feel free to move it
Not personally but I've seen a couple stories here of Amazon honoring the warranty for Kindles with the screensaver and font hacks installed. I couldn't promise that will always be the case, but this isn't a unique story.

But then heck - Amazon replaced my son's Kindle when he dropped it and cracked the screen and they clearly had no obligation to do that.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I don't know whose program you used and I only have experience with the jailbreak and screensaver hack developed by MobileRead member NiLuJe, but I find it doubtful that either the jailbreak or use of the custom screensaver caused the problem. I am certainly not an expert, however, just going by personal experience and from what research I did before applying the jailbreak myself.

I have been using NiLuJe's program since October without it having caused any Kindle malfunctions. Many others have been using it - and the one's developed for the K2, etc. - for much longer than that and I have not read of other folks reporting subsequent problems with their Kindle caused by the jailbreak, screensaver or font hacks. As far as I can tell, the jailbreak and hacks are pretty benign and non-intrusive.

Could some sort of file corruption cause this behavior?? I'm not knowledgeable enough to say. Like daffy4u, I'm thinking that it is more of a hardware based problem than one caused by software.

It is good to hear that Amazon replaced your Kindle; that indicates to me that they don't seem to think it was a user-caused problem.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
I had one set of screen saver images where it would make half the screen a distorted image when i plugged in the USB. But i changed the screensaver and it worked again. I also had my Kindle get stuck on a blank screen but I just held the power switch over for about a minute and it reset. You might have tried that. So if it happens again you can try those solutions.
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
matthend

isnt there a print screen keyboard shortcut? I can post it as I have not sent the old one back yet. The Image from the screensaver stuck on about the top half of the screen when I woke it up, and it would never go away. I restarted using both the menu option and the holding power for 15 sec. Even restored to factory defaults. I hope this isnt something to do with the screensaver hack, because I hate looking at the factory ones now.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
matthend

Hee are a couple of pics

This is what it looks like now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0295.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	899.5 KB
ID:	63938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0294.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	982.2 KB
ID:	63939  
Old 01-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
CarlBullock
CarlBullock began at the beginning.

That looks like a hardware issue to me...
CarlBullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
m0isty
m0isty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
That looks more like a cracked screen to me. The screensaver is stuck on the broken parts as they are now disconnected and unable to be refreshed.
m0isty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
matthend

there was never any impact whatsoever. It was working fine, hibernating, then I woke it up and the upper part of the screen never changed from the screensaver image. So should I be safe jailbreakinig and doing custom screensavers again? I can take better pictures if you like, maybe a screenshot (shift alt r?)
Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0isty View Post
That looks more like a cracked screen to me. The screensaver is stuck on the broken parts as they are now disconnected and unable to be refreshed.
haha I was just about to say the same thing. That is definitely a cracked screen bro. so how did you do that?
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
matthend

Screenshots

screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-15046.gif
Views:	306
Size:	35.6 KB