Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What team will win the Cup?
Portugal 5 6.02%
England 4 4.82%
Italy 2 2.41%
Netherlands 4 4.82%
Spain 11 13.25%
Germany 15 18.07%
Slovenia 2 2.41%
France 2 2.41%
Greece 0 0%
Switzerland 1 1.20%
Serbia 1 1.20%
Slovakia 0 0%
Brazil 6 7.23%
Argentinia 5 6.02%
Chile 0 0%
Paraguay 0 0%
Mexico 2 2.41%
USA 6 7.23%
Honduras 0 0%
South Africa 0 0%
Algeria 0 0%
Ivory Coast 0 0%
Ghana 1 1.20%
Cameroon 0 0%
Australia 3 3.61%
Japan 2 2.41%
North Korea 1 1.20%
South Korea 1 1.20%
New Zealand 2 2.41%
none of the above 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #46
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Ok, I see. If you're looking for some nice people to talk German with: they are just one click away: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159 We're always happy to have some visitors from other countries.
I do occasionally look at the German forum to see how much I can understand. The answer is; not enough!

It's a constant source of shame that most Europeans speak enough English to hold a conversation, but I can hardly string three words together in any other language.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #47
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Germany wins on sausage; England wins on beer IMHO (although it wasn't part of the agenda).
You must be kidding! I like the English a LOT, but no, that's not beer you guys are drinking.

Quote:

I think it's the other way round, but let's not go there....
And you must have never tasted English sausages, or maybe you are just trying to be gracious
Only today I was in the supermarket, spending a good half hour in the meat aisle, trying to find the less English-looking sausages to buy

As penance for my harsh comments I will now be supporting both your teams
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #48
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
You must be kidding! I like the English a LOT, but no, that's not beer you guys are drinking.

And you must have never tasted English sausages, or maybe you are just trying to be gracious
Only today I was in the supermarket, spending a good half hour in the meat aisle, trying to find the less English-looking sausages to buy

There's no accounting for taste, eh?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #49
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
There's no accounting for taste, eh?
Absolutely

Here's a relevant quote from Robert Rankin's Retromancer:

Quote:
‘What is this?’ I so enquired, as I viewed the plate before me. The gas-ring goddess smiled down at my person between her bounteous bosoms.
And said the word, ‘Bratwurst.’

‘Bratwurst?’ I queried.

‘Bratwurst,’ she confirmed. ‘The very Führer of the sausage world. Pork and veal, with salt and pepper, nutmeg, parsley, marjoram, celery seed and ginger.’

‘That sounds appalling,’ was my opinion. ‘Whatever happened to the usual bacon and eggs? And English sausages? And black pudding? And the fried slice? And—’

Ok, I'll go back on topic now, don't shout!

Go Germany! Go England! Go Korea! Go Portugal!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #50
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Take out the USA - and see if anyone notices - or cares!
I do!!!
Quote:
And why on earth do I see a 'PORTUGAL' when I look at your avatar? WHY?! Cool game you're referring too, btw. 2:0 was a real surprise.
That has to do with our traditional MR polls...

I could modify it to WD40! If you wish?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #51
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
I do occasionally look at the German forum to see how much I can understand. The answer is; not enough!
Anyway, just jump in if you feel like it sometime, you're always welcome 'over there'

Quote:

let's just agree that the Greek have great wine and Gyros!

BTW, I'm a bit disappointed. I would have exected a bit more from the French team. Game against Uruguay ended 0:0.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #52
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I do!!!

That has to do with our traditional MR polls...

I could modify it to WD40! If you wish?
AHA! Finally, here he is again, our referee from Canada. Still supporting the wrong teams though, tsk, tsk What did you think of France - Uruguay?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #53
omk3
Wizard

It was a boring game.

(Gyros, yes, usually. Wine, depends.)
Old 06-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #54
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
It was a boring game.

(Gyros, yes, usually. Wine, depends.)
Terrible. Scrappy. Unsurprising. Totally un-French.

Uruguy impressed me though. Good marking and defending. Needed a little more power forward...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #55
ravenne
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Terrible. Scrappy. Unsurprising. Totally un-French.
That covers it, unfortunately. I want Monsieur Zidane back (even though he had his weird moments).
Old 06-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #56
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
USA - although it more of a hope than sort assurance.

If I didn't suck at photo shop I'd dress Marvin in the appropriate gear.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #57
ravenne
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
USA - although it more of a hope than sort assurance.

If I didn't suck at photo shop I'd dress Marvin in the appropriate gear.
Go, USA, go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marvin_fifa.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	53232  
Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #58
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
North Korea... surely it's their time!
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #59
ravenne
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
North Korea... surely it's their time!
Wrong outfit, Laz, we have a dress code in this thread
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #60
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I'm still undecided, but with this tricolour hair-do the groomer gave me I might not have a choice.

Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifa world cup. soccer, vote usa!!!