Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #331
biff123
biff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
summary for my issue.
Wanted to apply latest Kindle update 5.3.2.1 to Kindle Touch that already had been jail broken and hacked with Screen savers, also wanted to continue to uyse screen savers afterwards.

Main advice for others, Check WIKI for all of the following: -

Changes relating to supported firmware and jail break.
Review info in relation to removing apps - lead to Kubrick, clean sweep regardless of app used
Review info a fresh in relation to Screen saver - don't assume like i did that the old screen saver files will still work
Read the right readme file...

DON'T PANIC...

Always take a towel...

Thanks again. Hopefully will go smoother for me next upgrade ;-)

Jon
biff123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #332
biff123
biff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheese

BTW - all working fine now, screen savers too!
biff123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #333
perconte
perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I'm afraid that I will only repeat the instructions which are already there in Kubrick.... but anyway - on the Kindle Touch:

1. Press the Power button for a loooong time, like 30 seconds. (If it's connected to a computer: until the LED turns off)
2. While KEEPING the power button pressed, also press the HOME button
3. Release the power button, while KEEPING the HOME button pressed.
4. Release the HOME button after a second or two.

Unless something is terribly wrong with your Kindle (hardware fault?) this WILL put the Kindle into USB downloader mode. In fact, at this point, the Kindle SoC state is as close to the hardware as we can ever get, and that particular combination (starting up with the home button pressed) MUST put the chip into USB downloader mode.
Thank you for the instructions, but I tried several times and nothing happened. I mean, in the 3rd step when I release the power button, while the home is pressed, the LED turns on (orange colour). And after that, I have to release only the home button but Kubrick still doesn't recognize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And the USBdownloader mode does not modify the screen on the Kindle.
Thanks for de info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... the only other problem I could think of is a USB problem on the host side, i.e., the Kindle actually entering USB downloader mode, but Kubrick not recognizing it. (Similar to the optical drive driver issues mentioned in earlier posts).

If you keep having problems, please press Alt+F2, login as root (no password), run the following command:
Code:
lsusb
and post its output here.
OK, I will try it now. Thank you
Edit: Here you have the output
Code:
root@kubrick: ̃ # lsusb
BUS 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020
BUS 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
BUS 001 Device 003: ID 0408:2fb1 Quanta Computer, Inc
BUS 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020
BUS 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
BUS 002 Device 003: ID 0951:1660 Kingston Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
bad cable, bad port
Both have been encountered in the past.

Try a different port on your pc.
Try a different USB cable if you have one.
I will try it also if the previous one fails, thank you.

Last edited by perconte; 04-16-2013 at 10:14 AM.
perconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #334
Phat59
Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Kubrick for the Mac

Is there any way to boot one of these images from a Mac? I don't have access to a PC or Linux machine, and my KT is stuck attempting to update every 5 minutes and then erroring out in an endless loop.
Phat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #335
kolosus
kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 4 NT (wifi), Kindle 5 (3g + wifi)
Virtual machine? Is the Mac Intel based or ppc? If Intel the live CD should boot without problems. Sorry if my suggestions sound foolish. No Mac experience.
kolosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #336
Phat59
Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Phat59 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Awesome. It worked. I was trying it first on a non-Intel mac, but it worked great on my more modern iMac.
Phat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #337
perconte
perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Well, it finally worked!
The problem was my computer, because I did it all in another computer and it went perfect. I think my computer USB port, which is 3.0, was the guilty of my problems
Anyway, thanks both of you for the help!
perconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #338
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
This might have been asked before, and if it has then I apologize, but can Kubrick "restore" a Demo K4S to a regular, working Kindle? If so, do I just need to use the Kubrick DVD I burned, or are there any additional steps when "debricking" a Demo Kindle that I need to follow?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #339
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
This might have been asked before, and if it has then I apologize, but can Kubrick "restore" a Demo K4S to a regular, working Kindle? If so, do I just need to use the Kubrick DVD I burned, or are there any additional steps when "debricking" a Demo Kindle that I need to follow?
1) yes
2) none
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #340
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
That's good to know. Thanks.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #341
cholvess
cholvess began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4.0 NT
kindle 4.0 nt bricked

my kindle 4.0 nt got bricked on DIAGS MODE and the screen is frozen. I've tried holding the power button but nothing, the orange light (when conected) goes off after 15 seconds and holding up to 30 seconds and 1min 30 seconds does not help. All i've found wasn't any use. My kindle was fully charged before it got bricked so i dont think the problem is because of low battery. Maybe if there was some way of restoring it to factory settings errasing everything or something. I tried downloading kubrik but it says two days remaining, if anyone had a link on another server...
cholvess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #342
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
There are multiple mirrors linked for downloading the files - just choose the one which is fastest for you.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #343
cholvess
cholvess began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4.0 NT
Thumbs up

Worked great whith my kindle frozen on diags mode thanks a lot
cholvess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #344
83m
83m began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4B
(Sorry, my English is "not good", I use google translate)

After a failed firmware, regained my Kindle4B by Kubrick.
But for some reason it is impossible to jailbrake. From the Kubrick menu, i choose the option "jailbrake", but jailbrake not work, because my Kindle is not installing third-party software (such as Coolreader, and i can not install russian language to device).

But when i try to jailbrake the usual way, which I used before (throw jailbrake files to internal memory Kindle and reboot device) device cant out of the "Diagnostic menu", because when i try to shut mode "disable diagnostics" appears: "pcbid does not match with DSN".

Tried many times, including in Kubrick did not choose the mode jailbrake, return the device to the "Factory reset" is still the same inscription: "pcbid does not match with DSN".

Help please.
83m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #345
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83m View Post
(Sorry, my English is "not good", I use google translate)

After a failed firmware, regained my Kindle4B by Kubrick.
But for some reason it is impossible to jailbrake. From the Kubrick menu, i choose the option "jailbrake", but jailbrake not work, because my Kindle is not installing third-party software (such as Coolreader, and i can not install russian language to device).

But when i try to jailbrake the usual way, which I used before (throw jailbrake files to internal memory Kindle and reboot device) device cant out of the "Diagnostic menu", because when i try to shut mode "disable diagnostics" appears: "pcbid does not match with DSN".

Tried many times, including in Kubrick did not choose the mode jailbrake, return the device to the "Factory reset" is still the same inscription: "pcbid does not match with DSN".

Help please.
Tell us more about the:
"failed firmware"
please.

KUBRICK does not touch the area where the pcbid is stored.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote