Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Whoover
Enthusiast
Whoover began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo Vox
Vox in the UK

Hi there,

I am considering purchasing a Vox in the run up to the festive break, and wondered how many UK Vox owners there are on this forum. I'd love to know what your experiences of the Vox have been?
Whoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Noranoo
Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Vox
Hi Whoover
would love to reply with vox info, but dont get to open mine until xmas day. I got my husband to buy mine the day after they came out here as I think it has the potential to be a great little reader. Im not sure if reading the forum top to toe has done anything for my trepidation/ anticipation re opening and have it glitch-free it on xmas day, but hey...im still looking forward to it. I hope that if i do have any problems, then whsmiths will sort them out for me...a case of watch and wait. Im hoping that it will be a funky e-reader with a few fun bits thrown in; nothing more. I havent seen many other UK bods here I dont think...so hello
Noranoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
I'm from the UK and bought one a few weeks ago. Not as an ereader, as I already had a Kobo Touch. I wanted a reasonably cheap 7 in tablet for web browsing and email. So the e-reader is a bonus that I haven't used much so far.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Like Conor I'm also in the UK and have had my Vox for a few weeks, I also bought it as a cheap android tablet and the ereader aspect is a bonus. I already owned a really cheap generic tablet and my Vox is a big improvement on that alone for me personally.

I've used mine so far mainly to do some browsing when away from my desktop, read a bit, and check my email on the fly.

I liked that I could install the Kindle app and access my Amazon bought eBooks, the same by installing Aldiko gave me access to the eBooks I bought for my original Sony reader.

So far my experience has been positive with my Vox, and knowing my luck I've just jinxed myself I've browsed online easily, the built in stock web browser was really basic but allowed me to browse OK, but I installed the Dolphin Browser which I prefer to use.

Your own opinion and experience with your Vox will depend a lot on what exactly you want to do with your Vox. I found a lot of the more negative opinions I've read - apart from those experiencing actual bugs - have been mostly down to what they wanted the Vox to be able to do. Such as be an iPad replacement or similar and then were upset when I didn't preform as such.

I wanted mine mainly for browsing, email, reading and the occasional game when I bored with other activities.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Hiwheeler
Hiwheeler began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Hi,

I'm a new UK, Vox user. So far it works fine but will say that the user manual is terrible!
As usual, written by those in in know with little coverage of basic questions like how to load and view your own files.

There are clearly lots of glitches such as scrolling on drop downs and inability to change font size occasionally, but hopefully the developers will take note and with a few more firmware updates,we will have a great device. I agree with previous posters that a lot depends on what your expectations were - I was given it as a colour reader and was really pleased to be able to browse the web and email as well!

Hiwheeler.
Hiwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwheeler View Post
Hi,

I'm a new UK, Vox user. So far it works fine but will say that the user manual is terrible!
As usual, written by those in in know with little coverage of basic questions like how to load and view your own files.
Hi there Penny Farthing! (We call penny-farthings highwheelers on our side of the pond.)

I agree on the sparse documentation. It took me a long time to figure out how the USB connection works. It seems that if you have a microSD card in the slot, all you can see is what's on that card. Only when you remove the external card, the USB connection shows what's on the Vox itself (perhaps on the internal microSD card), or at least all that you're allowed to see. None of this is explained in the manual. I sure hope Kobo publishes a real manual once the Vox is truly out of beta.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwheeler View Post
Hi,

Hiwheeler.
Strangely enough the first thing I did after ordering my Vox was to add the user guide to my Kobo library so I could download/read up on the device before it arrived. It of course was added to the download queue when the Vox first synced on arrival. Then all attempts to access it I get the same error saying that the book (guide) isn't readable on my device yet. I even tried to delete/re-add to library but still can't fully download/read it on my Vox, rather ironic when you think about it

As for the quick start guide included in the box with my Vox, I could almost swear it matches the other similar quick starts guides I've gotten with other devices with only the word Vox inserted in place of device name they have.

Mostly learning how to use my Vox has been on past experience, trial and error and when that fails hunting down an answer on this forum.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
Strangely enough the first thing I did after ordering my Vox was to add the user guide to my Kobo library so I could download/read up on the device before it arrived. It of course was added to the download queue when the Vox first synced on arrival. Then all attempts to access it I get the same error saying that the book (guide) isn't readable on my device yet. I even tried to delete/re-add to library but still can't fully download/read it on my Vox, rather ironic when you think about it
The user guide I downloaded is an 85 page pdf file. You'd have to get a pdf reader app. The guide that comes in the Kobo Vox library is an eBook similar to the pdf file. I've never actually gone through the eBook because I refer to the pdf version on my PC. However, I just discovered that when I press the contents icon, I get an error message and force close. I do believe it's a free book from the Kobo store anyway, so maybe I'll delete it and get another one.

Edit: Okay, I just deleted the Kobo Vox User Guide from my library and downloaded a new copy and the contents button works. Maybe there was a problem when the original free books from Kobo downloaded in the first place, because one of them was missing then.

Last edited by oldyellr; 12-29-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Addendum
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote